Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting up a studio

• 27-12-2012 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭

So this is something I've been thinking about for a while now. I do a lot of portrait and glamour photography. So far I have been renting studios in my area, but I want to set my own studio. I can afford the equipment, but finding a location is the problem.

Where I live at the moment is simply not big enough. I'm going to look at a couple of bigger apartments soon, but I may still have problems with ceiling height, wall colour etc. I thought about using a commercial property but that could end up costing an arm and a leg, and I'm only amateur at the moment. I'm not looking to set up a buisness just yet, all I want is a place to set up a background and a couple of strobes. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    So this is something I've been thinking about for a while now. I do a lot of portrait and glamour photography. So far I have been renting studios in my area, but I want to set my own studio. I can afford the equipment, but finding a location is the problem.

Where I live at the moment is simply not big enough. I'm going to look at a couple of bigger apartments soon, but I may still have problems with ceiling height, wall colour etc. I thought about using a commercial property but that could end up costing an arm and a leg, and I'm only amateur at the moment. I'm not looking to set up a buisness just yet, all I want is a place to set up a background and a couple of strobes. Any advice would be appreciated.

go for twice the space you think you need.get a few lights, a few back drops, maybe a partition for changing room, and all important 'tea and coffee making facilities" , then ******** and then PROFIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

go for twice the space you think you need.get a few lights, a few back drops, maybe a partition for changing room, and all important 'tea and coffee making facilities" , then ******** and then PROFIT

I'm going to look at a place today. What about coloured walls? Could that cause problems with hue and such? I won't have the option of painting the walls if its an apartment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

High ceilings, a big open space and neutral gray colored walls, floor and ceiling are what you need if you want to do it right.

So, yeah. Colored walls are big no no for exactly the reason you mentioned. Even white is a bad idea in a small space, as it will just bounce light all over the place.

My own space is about 19 x 19 feet with 13 foot high ceilings and I still have difficulty doing certain things in there (full length with a telephoto is just about doable, with a few compromises). So that might give you some idea of the space required.

Don't underestimate the amount of space your gear will occupy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Thanks for the advice. The place I looked at was quite big, although the ceiling is not as high as I'd like. As for the walls... they're white, but I've heard this is not an issue if its a non-reflective paint. But I'm not sure about that.

It's not big enough for full lenght, but I'd be happy enough if I could get half lenght or even just head and shoulder shots for the moment. I've one other place to look at so I haven't decided yet.

Advertisement