Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Gamestop take broken stuff? (Maybe the wrong place)

• 27-12-2012 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

This thread maybe in the wrong place but this seemed like the best place for it on a quick scan. Ive a PS3 that I got around the time of release. My original launch date one had stopped working so I had to get it replaced. This one Ive had for 6 years or so and has unfortunatley kicked the bucket and has the Yellow light of death. I bought a new 12gb super slim ps3 for 180 quid in argos and Im gonna try either putting in the bigger HDD from the old PS3 or buy a 500gb playstation compatible HDD for 60 quid off Amazon and use it. Heres the deal.
    Im gonna try that quick fix for the PS3 with the hair dryer so I can get it working and back up my data so it can be on the new PS3(Only works for a little while tho) but I was wondering.
    I read somewhere that in America some Gamestops give you money like a trade in for broken PS3s because they ae able to fix them somehow(including YLOD) and I was wondering if anyone knows if the Gamestop in town or in The crescent do this in Limerick. If they do I might tade in the PS3 and buy the 500 gb HDD. If not Ill just use the HDD from my old PS3.
    It was a sad day for me. I had one of the PS3s that could play PS2 and PS1 games. No more Spyro 2 Gateway to Glimmer :(
    If anyone wants to buy it also let me know? Tho Ive no idea why you would want a broken PS3 haha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

coolguyrko wrote: »
    This thread maybe in the wrong place but this seemed like the best place for it on a quick scan. Ive a PS3 that I got around the time of release. My original launch date one had stopped working so I had to get it replaced. This one Ive had for 6 years or so and has unfortunatley kicked the bucket and has the Yellow light of death. I bought a new 12gb super slim ps3 for 180 quid in argos and Im gonna try either putting in the bigger HDD from the old PS3 or buy a 500gb playstation compatible HDD for 60 quid off Amazon and use it. Heres the deal.
    Im gonna try that quick fix for the PS3 with the hair dryer so I can get it working and back up my data so it can be on the new PS3(Only works for a little while tho) but I was wondering.
    I read somewhere that in America some Gamestops give you money like a trade in for broken PS3s because they ae able to fix them somehow(including YLOD) and I was wondering if anyone knows if the Gamestop in town or in The crescent do this in Limerick. If they do I might tade in the PS3 and buy the 500 gb HDD. If not Ill just use the HDD from my old PS3.
    It was a sad day for me. I had one of the PS3s that could play PS2 and PS1 games. No more Spyro 2 Gateway to Glimmer :(
    If anyone wants to buy it also let me know? Tho Ive no idea why you would want a broken PS3 haha

Maybe ring them and ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭coolguyrko

VinLieger wrote: »
    Maybe ring them and ask?
    I was actually in both gamestops today once before buying the ps3 and once afterwards and both times I forgot to ask. Was just wondering if anyone had any expecience with it.

Check out adverts.ie. You'd often get people willing to purchase faulty equipment for parts or repairs, but you'd likely get a fraction of what you paid for it originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Over a year ago I had the YLOD on a fat ps3. Brought it into GS and got a big chunk of a discount off a refurbed slimline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I sold a YLOD 40GB for €60 on adverts during the summer. A 60GB might be worth more with the backward compatibility?

• Advertisement
Advertisement