Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8- No sticky Header

Options
  • 27-12-2012 8:01pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am using Windows 8 (on a laptop) and the sticky header is not sticky.
    It doesn't follow me at all when I scroll down the page.
    I don't know if this is a bug, but I had to choose something for the prefix!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

I have the same problem, but only in chrome for windows 8, not Internet Explorer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yes I'm the same. The sticky header is still there on I.E but not chrome.

Is the stick header just gone now on chrome?
    I have tried switching to Firefox, but 'ALT + S' won't post a quick reply on this browser, so I would prefer to be able to go back to chrome

Hi,
    The sticky header now doesn't work in Chrome or Firefox. The only browser boards is working on at the moment for me is I.E and I'd rather not be stuck with that for long.

What's going on with it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

These issues seem to be user specific, or perhaps platform specific (Windows 8). We'll try get a windows 8 testing environment set up and see if we can resolve them for you.

Danny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Just to add to this, I'm running Firefox on Windows 7 and the sticky header isn't working for me.

EDIT: Just to update this, the sticky header is working fine on the new Talk To forums, but not on any others.

Sticky header also working on talk to forums for me but not anywhere else (windows 8, chrome, touchscreen).

Just noticed, when I log out the header stays stuck, but not when I'm logged in, even though I have 'Use Sticky Header' ticked in appearance settings.

I've just noticed that it's the same for me.
    The header is 'sticky' when I am logged out but not when I am logged in!

I'm using Firefox 18 on Windows 8 and the sticky header is working for me.

• Advertisement

Okay, the header is working for me if I am logged out on Windows 8 (Chrome, Opera, Firefox or I.E)
    It is not working for me if I am logged in. (again, on Chrome, Opera, Firefox or I.E)

It is still working for me (logged in or out) if I try it on my other laptop with Windows 7. (Chrome and I.E)

Posy wrote: »
    Okay, the header is working for me if I am logged out on Windows 8 (Chrome, Opera, Firefox or I.E)
    It is not working for me if I am logged in. (again, on Chrome, Opera, Firefox or I.E)

It is still working for me (logged in or out) if I try it on my other laptop with Windows 7. (Chrome and I.E)

The sticky header works for me all the time except logged in on chrome with windows 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hey all,

The header bar at the top of Boards (with the list of forums, etc.) stays at the top of my window even when I scroll through a long thread when I use boards at work (using Chrome on Ubuntu Linux).

However, at home using Chrome on Windows 8, the header bar moves like the rest of the page, so if I scroll down it disappears.

I'm not sure which is the correct functionality (I suspect #1 is), and I'm not sure if it's a setting I have wrong, but I'd love if someone could advise if there's anything I can do to resolve this on Win8?

Just look down two threads - Posy's already reported a problem with Windows 8 and Chrome ;)

I'll merge this thread in a few minutes

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just look down two threads - Posy's already reported a problem with Windows 8 and Chrome ;)

I'll merge this thread in a few minutes

Danny

Cheers Danny, sorry for missing that.

dulpit wrote: »
    Cheers Danny, sorry for missing that.

No hassle at all, I'll hopefully have some updates this afternoon for you early Windows 8 adopters :D

Danny

I set up a Windows 8 testing environment. I installed Chrome and logged in. My header is stuck and going nowhere.

Please visit http://www.boards.ie/diagnostics and post up the information under System/Browser/Resolution but skip your IP address

Thanks,

Danny

Operating System: Windows 8

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/24.0.1312.52 Safari/537.17

Your Browser

Javascript Enabled: Yes

Cookies Enabled: Yes

Java Enabled: Yes

Flash Version: 11.5 r31 installed

Your Resolution

Screen: 1366 x 768

Current Browser: 1360 x 643

Colour: 32 bit

Our Server

Date/Time: Monday 14th of January 2013, 14:53:57

Name: www.boards.ie (clifford)

I've the same pretty much as yourselves so it's time to dig a bit deeper.

On a page where the menu isn't sticky please right click on a menu option (e.g. Tech) and click Inspect Element. The Inspector should open up and down very bottom you'll see a few tabs. One of them will say div.nav-area, click that one. Note: Please click the white background of the menu, not the text. It may be necessary to move a fair bit left or right of the text before clicking Inspect Element.

Over on the right pane you should see the styling rules being applied to the menu - I suspect it won't be the same as my attached screenshot shows. Please screenshot what you see :)

236276.png

The tabs at the bottom are different to yours, they read ul#nav.scaling-active.scaling-ready, li.navRightBorder.hover and a.hover. Which will I screenshot?

Edit, they're only different on tech, I'll have a screnshot up in a minute.

• Advertisement

Sorry, don't click Inspect Element on the text, click on the white background a good bit to the left or right of the text :)

The tabs (for Tech) should read:

html body div.wrapper div.nav-area ul#nav.scaling-active.scaling-ready li.navRightBorder.hover a

236279.png

Now we're getting somewhere. You can see that for some reason the "fixed-header" CSS style is getting loaded which makes the position of the menu "relative" and that is why it isn't scrolling.

Time to dig a bit further now. Press F12 to display the web inspector (or right click a page element and inspect again). At the top of the inspector is a list of tabs - Elements, Resources, Network etc. Click Resources. On the left pane there are arrows beside items like Web SQL, IndexedDB, Local Storage, Session Storage. Click the arrow beside Local Storage.

You may have several entries for http://www.boards.ie but only one should have data. Please tell me what the data for the key /user/styleoptions is (Right click, edit, CTRL+C to copy).

236281.png

Sorry, had to go offline.

edit: this is all you want right?

{"expires":1358199795234,"data":{"stickyheader":1,"notification_pm":1,"notification_followedthreads":1,"notification_vm":1,"notification_friendreq":1,"cozymode":0,"fullwidth":0,"styletheme":{"themeid":"1","name":"default"}}}

omicron wrote: »
    Sorry, had to go offline.

edit: this is all you want right?

{"expires":1358199795234,"data":{"stickyheader":1,"notification_pm":1,"notification_followedthreads":1,"notification_vm":1,"notification_friendreq":1,"cozymode":0,"fullwidth":0,"styletheme":{"themeid":"1","name":"default"}}}

So your settings are correct, stickyheader:1 means you have requested the sticky header. Last thing to check before I may have to write code: In the inspector click Console and paste the following code then press enter

[PHP]!!('ontouchstart' in window)[/PHP]

True or False should be displayed there - which one do you get?

236290.png

True.

And there's your problem - is your laptop a touch screen?

And there's your problem - is your laptop a touch screen?

Yeah, thought I mentioned it?!

Edit: sorry yeah I did mention it but it was way back in post #8. It still works with IE, and with chrome when I'm logged out though?!

omicron wrote: »
    Yeah, thought I mentioned it?!

Edit: sorry yeah I did mention it but it was way back in post #8. It still works with IE, and with chrome when I'm logged out though?!

Bah, how did I miss that :o

When you're logged out your sticky header is forced to be on because you cannot change appearance settings. The sticky header works in IE because detecting touch screens in IE10 does not support "ontouchstart" so that check returns false. That's a bug, and if I fixed it for touch detection in IE10 then when you log in in IE it would also unstick itself.

The reason for the unsticking on touch devices is many touch devices (i.e. Android phones, iPhones) do not support fixed position (sticky) elements.

I'm not fixing up IE10 to unstick just yet and I'm not going to fix Chrome and have it affect iPhones etc - leave this with me and thanks for the assistance

Danny

• Advertisement

Bah, how did I miss that :o

When you're logged out your sticky header is forced to be on because you cannot change appearance settings. The sticky header works in IE because detecting touch screens in IE10 does not support "ontouchstart" so that check returns false. That's a bug, and if I fixed it for touch detection in IE10 then when you log in in IE it would also unstick itself.

The reason for the unsticking on touch devices is many touch devices (i.e. Android phones, iPhones) do not support fixed position (sticky) elements.

I'm not fixing up IE10 to unstick just yet and I'm not going to fix Chrome and have it affect iPhones etc - leave this with me and thanks for the assistance

Danny

Right, thanks for the help anyway.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement