Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8- No sticky Header

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

FWIW: I'm not using a touchscreen laptop... It's at home (I'm at work) so I can't provide any of the information you're looking for right now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

dulpit wrote: »
    FWIW: I'm not using a touchscreen laptop... It's at home (I'm at work) so I can't provide any of the information you're looking for right now...

All in your own time dulpit :)

Danny

Your System
    • Operating System: Windows 8
    • User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/23.0.1271.97 Safari/537.11

Your Browser
    • Javascript Enabled: Yes
    • Cookies Enabled: Yes
    • Java Enabled: Yes
    • Flash Version: 11.5 r31 installed

Your Resolution
    • Screen: 1600 x 900
    • Current Browser: 1600 x 775
    • Colour: 32 bit

Div.nav-Area thing
    divnavarea.png

My local storage thing for Boards.ie is blank :confused:

The touchscreen thing returns true, so it would seem that Chrome thinks my laptop is a touchscreen. Any idea how to reverse this?

The touchscreen thing returns true, so it would seem that Chrome thinks my laptop is a touchscreen. Any idea how to reverse this?

FWIW I checked this in Firefox and it returns false...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

There is some evidence from the Chrome bug tracker that there were various changes in Chrome 23 that may result in false positives. They should be addressed in v24

Please try upgrading Chrome to version 24 - it was released 3 days ago. You may have to download it from http://google.com/chrome.

Note: If you actually have a touch screen laptop then you'll still get no sticky header. The solution to this is proving to be a bit of a conundrum.

Danny

• Advertisement

Thanks Danny, will try that later when I get home.

There is some evidence from the Chrome bug tracker that there were various changes in Chrome 23 that may result in false positives. They should be addressed in v24

Please try upgrading Chrome to version 24 - it was released 3 days ago. You may have to download it from http://google.com/chrome.

Note: If you actually have a touch screen laptop then you'll still get no sticky header. The solution to this is proving to be a bit of a conundrum.

Danny

Upgraded to Chrome 24. No joy :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Getting this issue today in Firefox. v 18 Windows 7

Div nav area stuff
    <li class="has-drop-down" style="width: 8.23319%;"></li><li style="width: 8.57624%;"></li><li style="width: 5.57456%;"></li><li style="width: 5.05998%;"></li><li style="width: 5.40303%;"></li><li style="width: 7.03252%;"></li><li style="width: 6.94676%;"></li><li style="width: 6.26066%;"></li><li style="width: 5.40303%;"></li><li style="width: 6.94676%;"></li><li style="width: 7.37557%;"></li><li style="width: 5.40303%;"></li><li class="" style="width: 6.77523%;"><a href="http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42"></a><div class="nav-drop-menu drop columns-3" style="max-height: 482px; left: -583px;"><strong class="title"></strong><div class="columncontainer"><div class="column first"></div><div class="column"></div><div class="column"><ul><li></li><li><div class="lw"><a href="http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=393"></a></div></li><li></li><li></li><li></li><li></li><li></li><li></li><li></li><li></li><li></li><li></li><li></li><li></li><li></li></ul></div></div></div></li><li class="" style="width: 5.31727%;"></li><li style="width: 5.83185%;"></li><!DOCTYPE html><html lang="en"><head></head><body onload=""><div class="wrapper"><div class="nav-area"></div><script></script><div id="header"></div><div id="breadcrumb"></div>
    <!-- content table -->

<!-- open content container -->
    <div align="center"></div>
    <!-- / close content container -->

<!-- / end content table -->
    <div id="posts"></div>
    <!-- start content table -->

<!-- open content container -->
    <div align="center"></div>
    <!-- / close content container -->

<!-- /content area table -->
    </div><form style="clear:left" method="get" action="index.php"></form><script type="text/javascript"></script><script src="http://www.google-analytics.com/ga.js&quot; type="text/javascript"></script><script type="text/javascript"></script><script src="http://b-static.net/javascript/t_vbnav.js?v=9&quot; type="text/javascript"></script>
    <!-- Begin comScore Tag -->
    <script></script><script src="http://b.scorecardresearch.com/beacon.js"></script><script></script><noscript></noscript&gt;
    <!-- End comScore Tag -->
    <script type="text/javascript"></script>

Diagnostics stuff
    Diagnostics Page
    Your System

Operating System: Windows 7

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
    Your Browser

Javascript Enabled: Yes

Cookies Enabled: Yes

Java Enabled: No

Flash Version: 11.5 r502 installed
    Your Resolution

Screen: 1173 x 733

Current Browser: 1098 x 528

Colour: 24 bit
    Our Server

Date/Time: Tuesday 15th of January 2013, 21:31:48

Name: www.boards.ie (lips)
    <!-- temp -->
    <div style="display:none"></div><div id="facebox" style="display:none;"></div></body></html>

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm just wondering if there's ever going to be a fix on this issue- the only way I can get the sticky header is either by using I.E or disabling touch screen in chrome settings.
    I'd like to be able to go back to chrome one day. :o

I'm guessing there is no way around this apart from using IE! :)

• Advertisement

As Posy says, there is a workaround for this for Chrome users. Open chrome://flags and disable the option "Enable touch events". This causes Chrome to ignore a touch screen if present.

However, some laptops without touch screens are exhibiting this behaviour too - this is usually due to OEM drivers spoofing a touch screen. I've seen it on Acer and Sony laptops.

The only problem with that being I'm not sacrificing my touch screen for boards! :pac:

The sticky header works though if I'm logged out. But once I log in (yes, I have 'sticky header' enabled!) it no longer sticks. It is grand on internet explorer though. :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement