Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom WiFi problems

• 27-12-2012 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I have an eircom P-660HW-T1 v3 modem & a Netopia usb stick. Basically anytime I use the wifi stick the signal is very bad and connection keeps dropping. When the phone line is plugged directly in to the modem I have excellent signal strength and connection and everything works fine except that the phone wire stretches across 2 rooms - so not ideal

So I bought a new Belkin USB wireless adapter (Surf N300) - installed it - but it wont connect to eircom. I get the following message 'The network eircom X requires a network key'. What is this?

Any ideas anyone or is there something else I could buy possible a new modem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

If you look on the underside of the modem there should be a little sticker with the Network Key.

If the Network Key is not on the sticker click :

http://192.168.1.254

unless you have changed it , the password should be broadband1

Then click on Network

then click on Wireless LAN

the Network key should be there under "Pre-Shared Key" ( pic attached may help )

I have an eircom P-660HW-T1 v3 modem & a Netopia usb stick. Basically anytime I use the wifi stick the signal is very bad and connection keeps dropping.

Could you move the modem a bit closer to you ( and still use wireless) ?

You can get longer cables to go between the phone socket on the wall and the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Little Sunshine

Hey - did what u said with the pre shared key and it connected - thanks so much u have made my day

New problem - when I put the modem close to the phone socket and get rid of the long phone cable it won't connect - I'm assuming its out of range cause when I move modem closer it connects.

Could I use these i.e plug one in the room where the modem is and the other in the room where the PC is

Would it work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Are there any other phone sockets that you could try connecting to?

Failing that you could get a wireless range extender to bridge the gap, or a pair of power line Ethernet sockets; one by the router and one plugged in to the pc.

Like these http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wireless-range-extenders/ or these http://www.netgear.com/home/products/powerline-and-coax/

Could I use these i.e plug one in the room where the modem is and the other in the room where the PC is

Would it work?

If by these you mean something like :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355155705&sr=8-1

if so ........ yip, should work fine

or you could get handy at hiding the cable under the edge of the carpet :)

• Advertisement

Yeah thats what I'm talkin about - i'm sickened just put down a laminated floor and could have run the wire under it - it would have solved a lot.

So how do these work - from looking at the picture - the phone line plugs in to one of them but does the phone line still connect to the eircom box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Yeah thats what I'm talkin about - i'm sickened just put down a laminated floor and could have run the wire under it - it would have solved a lot.

So how do these work - from looking at the picture - the phone line plugs in to one of them but does the phone line still connect to the eircom box?
    Phone line still goes into eircom's box, you plug one of the other LAN ports from the box into one of the power line adaptors and connect the other one to the back of the pc. There should be a cat5 cable (looks like a phone wire with larger phone plugs at the ends) that came with the router that would do for one of these connections.

You leave the Eircom router where it is

Plug one unit into the mains socket near it.

Then you run a data cable between the Eircom router and the unit

Then you just plug the other unit into a mains socket nearer to where you are and either

A. Run a data cable between it and your laptop

or

B. Buy an Access Point and plug that into your Powerline Ethernet unit

Just an example of an Access Point :

http://www.dabs.ie/products/tp-link-wireless-n-access-point-77RK.html?src=3

You can get nice Access Points that you can plug USB drives into so you can store files in a central place.

Thanks for all the help guys - must go shopping tomorrow

• Advertisement

From the bargain alerts section of boards :

Blade wrote: »
    You can get a wifi version of these adapters, this kit has one wired adapter that you connect your router to and one wireless that you can plug in anywhere else in your house:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA281KIT-Powerline-Extender-Wireless-Starter/dp/B0067GS29W/

Note that it's not much dearer if you buy the twin pack of wired adapters as in the OP's post and separately buy the single wifi one. So you end up with an extra wired adapter for only about a fiver extra, but it might come in handy if you ever want another wired connection somewhere.

would do the job for you

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cathorio

Can anyone tell me please , why my WiFi is not working ??? All the lights on the modem are green . This is happening most days. Sometime it can last for days. If anyone tells me to phone Eircom I will scream. It's impossible to get through.
    Cathorio

Advertisement