Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for GEM in Ireland - CAO

Options
  • 27-12-2012 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

So I'm applying for GEM now and filling out the ole CAO.

Has anyone else done this? I ticked Leaving Cert & Higher Education when filling it out. Do we actually have to find our old exam number and put it into the form? Also, I did GAMSAT 2012 and will be submitting that result, do I post that out to the CAO now?

Anyone else on here applying for entry this year? UCD is my top choice. :)

Many thanks,

Jammy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 amorris452

Hey there,
    I'm applying for GEM this year too! I don't know if leaving cert is different or not but I posted copies of my A Level certs, GAMSAT 2012 results and uni transcript to them at the start of December. On the form I just ticked that I was submitting previous results and wrote a sentence or two about my uni course. I emailed to double check there was nothing else they needed but they told me to call back in Jan. Might be better to do that before rather than after haa!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

amorris452 wrote: »
    Hey there,
    I'm applying for GEM this year too! I don't know if leaving cert is different or not but I posted copies of my A Level certs, GAMSAT 2012 results and uni transcript to them at the start of December. On the form I just ticked that I was submitting previous results and wrote a sentence or two about my uni course. I emailed to double check there was nothing else they needed but they told me to call back in Jan. Might be better to do that before rather than after haa!

Cool, thanks! Where was the box to say you'll be submitting GAMSAT Results?

Sorry I meant the box was for submitting previous A Level results. As far as I'm aware there's nowhere to say you're submitting GAMSAT results on the form so you just forward them with your other certificates. :)

amorris452 wrote: »
    Sorry I meant the box was for submitting previous A Level results. As far as I'm aware there's nowhere to say you're submitting GAMSAT results on the form so you just forward them with your other certificates. :)

Ahh perfect thanks! Was just afraid I'd missed something!

Mind me asking where you're applying to? My current order of preference is UCD, RCSI, UCC, UL.

Jammyc wrote: »

Ahh perfect thanks! Was just afraid I'd missed something!

Mind me asking where you're applying to? My current order of preference is UCD, RCSI, UCC, UL.

I've currently got RCSI, UCD, UCC and UL in that order but it changes between RCSI and UCD on a weekly basis to be honest haha. Can I ask why you chose UCD first? I think the sports clubs and SU may swing it for me, so I'm a bit worried RCSI won't have much going on. Although I haven't really looked into that yet so I may be completely wrong haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

How are people approaching the CAO application if they are uncertain about which college they want due to funding?

I have a good GAMSAT score already so I know I can get in to any college but I don't know which I can get a loan for. I live in Dublin so I would prefer UCD/RCSI but it's easier to get a loan for UL and I am impressed with UL too.

The banks won't formally process loans until offers come out so how do I know to order my preferences? Is there any way to keep options open? If I put down UCD/RSCI first but I don't get the loan, I presume there's no way I can then get an offer to UL where I can get the loan fairly easily as it's a lower preference? Am I missing something?

pc11 wrote: »
    How are people approaching the CAO application if they are uncertain about which college they want due to funding?

I have a good GAMSAT score already so I know I can get in to any college but I don't know which I can get a loan for. I live in Dublin so I would prefer UCD/RCSI but it's easier to get a loan for UL and I am impressed with UL too.

The banks won't formally process loans until offers come out so how do I know to order my preferences? Is there any way to keep options open? If I put down UCD/RSCI first but I don't get the loan, I presume there's no way I can then get an offer to UL where I can get the loan fairly easily as it's a lower preference? Am I missing something?

I know the feeling. I'm just going to go with it and sort out funding officially when I've accepted my place. Like yourself, I'm comfortable enough with getting places but funding is a serious issue.

I'm arranging appointments with various banks to get a rough idea if possible on what my situation is for funding then I'll have a better idea hopefully.

I know the feeling. I'm just going to go with it and sort out funding officially when I've accepted my place. Like yourself, I'm comfortable enough with getting places but funding is a serious issue.

I'm arranging appointments with various banks to get a rough idea if possible on what my situation is for funding then I'll have a better idea hopefully.

Have you managed to figure this out any further? I'm trying to confirm if the normal change of mind process is available to us so I can just put anything down now and come back to it later.

Have you managed to figure this out any further? I'm trying to confirm if the normal change of mind process is available to us so I can just put anything down now and come back to it later.

As far as I'm aware it is. I've put down all four courses and we can change them as any other CAO applicant can.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Agnieszka_88

What are your choices, btw? I'm not applying this year (probably the next), but I've been thinking about it, and well... RCSI/UCD seem to be the most popular, but the living costs in Dublin are much higher than in Cork or Limerick. I've heard really good things about the UCC programme, but it's hard to get funding for it. And UL seems to accept the highest number of students, and I'm not sure I want to throw myself into such a big group again, but they have this whole scholarship system figured out AND a partner bank. Tough choices.

• Advertisement

What are your choices, btw? I'm not applying this year (probably the next), but I've been thinking about it, and well... RCSI/UCD seem to be the most popular, but the living costs in Dublin are much higher than in Cork or Limerick. I've heard really good things about the UCC programme, but it's hard to get funding for it. And UL seems to accept the highest number of students, and I'm not sure I want to throw myself into such a big group again, but they have this whole scholarship system figured out AND a partner bank. Tough choices.

I live in Dublin so naturally I lean to RCSI and UCD, But, I was impressed with UL when I visited and it's just 2 hours down the motorway. I haven't really considered UCC as that doesn't suit me. RCSI costs a little more, but it is impressive in history, facilities and reputation. I'm a UCD grad so I know Belfield well, it's a fine campus with sports and clubs, though I've done that before and maybe I want the focussed enviroment of RCSI. UL also has a fine campus and I like the sound of the PBL course. RCSI has a PBL component also.

In UL it's easier to get the fees loan, I'm worried there would be a probelm doing that in Dublin, though RCSI were reassuring that it shouldn't be a problem.

I have a high GAMSAT so I can choose, but what if I put down RSCI first and then don't get a loan? I can't then get an offer from UL as a back-up. I don't know how to deal with that, frankly. This process makes no sense.

When I went to the RCSI Open Day, one of the staff there said to me "surely you're not going to choose based on where you can get funding!" which stunned me as it showed they didn't understand the position of most students at all. Of course my choice is funding-dependent! If I can't get funding, then the best college in the workd is no good to me!

As far as I'm aware it is. I've put down all four courses and we can change them as any other CAO applicant can.

I hope you're right. I get worried when I see this:

"Applicants who wish to apply for Restricted Courses need to apply for such courses before February 1st at 5:15 p.m. (these are courses that require an additional selection test, interview and/or portfolio submission)."

as it sounds like GEM is such a course as we have to sit GAMSAT.

I hope you're right. I get worried when I see this:

"Applicants who wish to apply for Restricted Courses need to apply for such courses before February 1st at 5:15 p.m. (these are courses that require an additional selection test, interview and/or portfolio submission)."

as it sounds like GEM is such a course as we have to sit GAMSAT.

When I applied to the CAO after my leaving cert, the same thing was in place. Back then, it meant that they must be on your CAO by Feb 1st, regardless of order but could be changed around or taken off, but not added if not already on during the change of mind period. If you're really unsure give the CAO an email on the form on their website. They're fairly quick to respond.

With regard to choices, I live just outside of Dublin so UCD is the only financially feasible option with a loan that covers fees only. RCSI being in Sandyford and Blanch for first/second year would mean unreal commuting or living out there, which I couldnt afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DeadEight

If you put all four GEM course codes on your application before the Feb 1st deadline you can change the order as for any other course. The original order does not matter.

You cannot add GEM for the first time using a Change of Mind form. I think that you only need one GEM course on you original application, and you can add the other three and change the order later, but you should confirm this with the CAO

In reality, if you are applying for GEM you are unlikely to be also applying through the CAO for an undergraduate degree in Hen House Husbandry. You are not going to be short of slots on the form to fill in. Put in all four GEM codes in any order, and you can change them later. Ideally in your order of preference so that you do not need to change it later.

When I applied to the CAO after my leaving cert, the same thing was in place. Back then, it meant that they must be on your CAO by Feb 1st, regardless of order but could be changed around or taken off, but not added if not already on during the change of mind period. If you're really unsure give the CAO an email on the form on their website. They're fairly quick to respond.

With regard to choices, I live just outside of Dublin so UCD is the only financially feasible option with a loan that covers fees only. RCSI being in Sandyford and Blanch for first/second year would mean unreal commuting or living out there, which I couldnt afford.

I hope you're right Jammy! I've put in my 4 preferences now, but there's a good chance I'll change later.

Sandyford and UCD aren't that far apart, does it make that much of a difference to you? You'll need to get to the Mater a good bit also I think, at least later on.

Some more criteria for choosing: The RCSI spaces in Sandyford and Blanchardstown have free parking and good catering facilities with free tea/coffee and lockers. In UCD I think you have to pay for parking, I think you can get an annual pass but I'm not certain. Being able to bring lunch in to RCSI, make tea/coffee and so on, with free parking, would go a long way to making up the difference in the costs of each. In RCSI you are in a small space, not a campus, but it could feel nice and focussed which may help.

I hope you're right Jammy! I've put in my 4 preferences now, but there's a good chance I'll change later.

Sandyford and UCD aren't that far apart, does it make that much of a difference to you? You'll need to get to the Mater a good bit also I think, at least later on.

Some more criteria for choosing: The RCSI spaces in Sandyford and Blanchardstown have free parking and good catering facilities with free tea/coffee and lockers. In UCD I think you have to pay for parking, I think you can get an annual pass but I'm not certain. Being able to bring lunch in to RCSI, make tea/coffee and so on, with free parking, would go a long way to making up the difference in the costs of each. In RCSI you are in a small space, not a campus, but it could feel nice and focussed which may help.

I was really impressed at the RCSI Open Day. I can get a bus directly to UCD, but I'd need a bus, walk and Luas transfer to get to Sandyford. To get to Blanch, I'd need to be leaving before 6 every morning. Mater isnt too bad to get to.

I loved the GEM facilities at RCSI but not enough to indebt myself an extra few grand that I could use as living expenses during the course. Its much of a muchness for me really.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Agnieszka_88

I'll have to move back to Ireland no matter where I choose to go, so I guess I'm not as Dublin-oriented as those who already live there (and honestly, I wouldn't move either if I had any choice in the matter). The RCSI is really impressive, but it's also the most expensive one and no matter where you live in Dublin, you'll have to commute, which makes it even more so. If one takes into account that none of us will probably get a loan for the living costs, especially those who, like me, don't have much history with the Irish banks (a reason why I'm pushing back applying for a year: the stupid hope that things might change and the pragmatic reasoning that I need to save more money), the cost of living in Dublin makes a huge difference. I must say that I didn't really think much of the UCD when I visited, everything seemed really chaotic and disorganised. I liked Cork when I went to their open day last year, the new building looked great and everything is close by, so I think I might put them as my first choice. After all, it doesn't really matter that much where you study, the HSE is going to put you through the same **** as everyone else after you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 House_QC

Hmmm... I'm quite puzzled by this thread. Why would funding differ according to which medical school you went to? Surely it would be the same regardless? Also, is it not possible to receive offers from every GEM course you apply to on CAO? I didn't realise there was much importance attached to the order of preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Irish system is different - fairly simple though!
    You place your applications in order of preference, starting with your top choice. You get an offer from whatever University ranks highest in your list for which you have the entrance criteria. If you don't meet the criteria for your top choice, you then get your next available choice.
    For instance, if you get an offer from choice #1 but also have criteria for choice #2, you only get an offer for choice #1 as you'd prefer it to choice #2.

As for funding, all Universities are entitled to charge their own individual fees for the GEM courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

House_QC wrote: »
    Hmmm... I'm quite puzzled by this thread. Why would funding differ according to which medical school you went to? Surely it would be the same regardless? Also, is it not possible to receive offers from every GEM course you apply to on CAO? I didn't realise there was much importance attached to the order of preference.

No, medical schools are free to set their own fees. Generally speaking, RCSI charges slightly more than the other three.

With CAO, you rank according to preference and get offered just one course (or none if you don't meet meet the minimum requirements). If you meet the points threshold for your number one choice, you get offered a place of that course. If not, and if you have the points for your number two, you get that and so on. If you accept your number three and in a later round the points drop and you meet the requirements for your first preference, you will get a second offer for that course. The system is quite fair in that it maximises the number of people that get offered a place in the first round (rather than certain people getting four offers) and also encourages people to rank according to their true preference rather than by order of the courses they expect to have the points for. It's not ideal but it's pretty close!

• Advertisement

Irish system is different - fairly simple though!
    You place your applications in order of preference, starting with your top choice. You get an offer from whatever University ranks highest in your list for which you have the entrance criteria. If you don't meet the criteria for your top choice, you then get your next available choice.
    For instance, if you get an offer from choice #1 but also have criteria for choice #2, you only get an offer for choice #1 as you'd prefer it to choice #2.

As for funding, all Universities are entitled to charge their own individual fees for the GEM courses.

Beat me to it! ;)

Let's say I attain the points threshold for all four med schools and that I am offered my first choice of university... if I decline the offer, would I subsequently be offered my second choice? And then if I were to decline that one as well, would I be offered my third choice and accept, for instance?

Just curious, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Let's say I attain the points threshold for all four med schools and that I am offered my first choice of university... if I decline the offer, would I subsequently be offered my second choice? And then if I were to decline that one as well, would I be offered my third choice and accept, for instance?

Just curious, really.

Put simply - no! Even if you decline choice #1, you can't decide you want choice #2 then, regardless if you meet the criteria. That ship sailed when you put choice #1 at a higher priority.

Thanks, folks! Much appreciated.

Just curious, really.

Almost certain that you can only move up preference and not down. So if you reject an offer of your number one ranked course, that's it! The CAO handbook has all the gory details....http://www2.cao.ie/handbook/handbook/index.php

You can only be offered the highest preference that you are qualified for.

It's rough but objective. Apply for what you want, not what you think you might get is the golden rule.

@House_QC, all this information is readily available. People here are willing to help but you need to do the basic research yourself.

You can only be offered the highest preference that you are qualified for.

It's rough but objective. Apply for what you want, not what you think you might get is the golden rule.

@House_QC, all this information is readily available. People here are willing to help but you need to do the basic research yourself.

Thanks, yes I fully appreciate that. I'd done my research for the UK and Australian GEM process and institutions but only the bare minimum for Ireland. I've already started rectifying this so please forgive my ignorance up to now.

Much obliged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MaxPhlank

Hi People, First time poster.

I am currently questioning the legitimacy of the Atlantic Bridge for various reasons. I would like to know, what exactly is the role of Atlantic Bridge in the application process? is it possible that they want me to apply for the sake of receiving application fees? I ask this because I suspect that I am in fact ineligible to apply due to the nature and level of my degree although my GAMSAT score was enough to be preferenced for each school.

any help will be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Paddy_mac

What is the last date we can change our preference then?

• Advertisement
Advertisement