Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Internet

Options
  • 27-12-2012 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Does anyone have it? Currently I pay over €40 for internet from UPC, I think that's a bit much. I recently found UTV internet (took me long), but there's something confusing here, if you look on this page:
    http://www.utvinternet.com/broadband/ngb.aspx
    If you click on the broadband only tab, it says €22.21 for 24mb /unlimited broadband. Is that as good as it sounds? Do you really get 24mb? Can you get it without phone or any other junk that they try to add on?

There's something else though, if you notice, it says NGB option 1, 2, 3 on top of the prices, what does NGB stand for? Because on another page I found lists completely different prices (click on broadband only): http://www.utvinternet.com/broadband/
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Does anyone have it? Currently I pay over €40 for internet from UPC, I think that's a bit much. I recently found UTV internet (took me long), but there's something confusing here, if you look on this page:
    http://www.utvinternet.com/broadband/ngb.aspx
    If you click on the broadband only tab, it says €22.21 for 24mb /unlimited broadband. Is that as good as it sounds? Do you really get 24mb? Can you get it without phone or any other junk that they try to add on?

There's something else though, if you notice, it says NGB option 1, 2, 3 on top of the prices, what does NGB stand for? Because on another page I found lists completely different prices (click on broadband only): http://www.utvinternet.com/broadband/

48:1 Contention - No Thanks.

http://www.getonlinebroadband.com/faqs/faq02.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

DSL services absolutely never give you the full speed advertised unless you're actually living in the exchange! Or, it's in your living room.

24mbit DSL will typically deliver about 9 to 19mbits depending on the line length and quality.

The contention ratio is how many users are sharing the same bandwidth on the DSLAM on the exchange. If it's high, you're only going to get decent speeds when nobody else is on!

UPC is a hybrid fiber coax network using totally different technology to DSL.
    You've a fiber node in a box somewhere near by and from there to your house is high bandwidth, shielded coaxial cable which doesn't suffer signal loss like unshielded phone lines do.

The result is that on UPC you usually get very close to the advertised speed and you get consistent connection.

I don't think UTV can do naked DSL without a dial tone. It's just using eircom wholesale products repackaged and possibly someone else for back haul.

So, you're basically paying eircom line rental indirectly via utv anyway.

Would you not consider downgrading your UPC package to a slower speed and seeing how you get on instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SomeoneOnline

So I talked with UPC, was able to get my bill down a fiver. Talked with UTV, they said they will need to check if its available in my area, and apart from the 22.21 for broadband, there will be a line rental charge of probably around 25 euro, so... yeah.

Just did a bit of research, it seems UPC loves ripping off Ireland. If you look at UPC Poland or Romania, they pay around 4 times less for Internet! I guess they love having a monopoly on fibre networks here.

UPC NL :

100 mbit/s is 42.50 (49 in Ireland)
    50 mbit/s is 32.50 (39 in Ireland)
    150 mbit/s unavailable in NL 59 in Ireland

Eircom's fibre / VDSL network will be coming on stream eventually. They're building it out at the moment. So, at least that should reduce prices by increasing competition again.

• Advertisement

Solair wrote: »
    UPC NL :

100 mbit/s is 42.50 (49 in Ireland)
    50 mbit/s is 32.50 (39 in Ireland)
    150 mbit/s unavailable in NL 59 in Ireland

Eircom's fibre / VDSL network will be coming on stream eventually. They're building it out at the moment. So, at least that should reduce prices by increasing competition again.

http://www.upc.nl/internet/

25 mbit 25/month + 17.79 for mandatory analog tv + radio = 42.79/month

50 mbit 32/month + 17.79 for mandatory analog tv + radio = 49.79/month

100 mbit 42.40/month + 17.79 for mandatory analog tv + radio = 60.29/month

Analog TV is an unwanted cost tbh :mad:
    Just did a bit of research, it seems UPC loves ripping off Ireland. If you look at UPC Poland or Romania, they pay around 4 times less for Internet! I guess they love having a monopoly on fibre networks here.

Have you ever been to Poland or Romania .. do you know how much they earn there ?

Vodka is also cheaper too.

Yeah if you don't want it.

I think UPC should give Cork cable customers who want internet / phone only a discount though as they cannot get analogue TV as it's not carried on the network at all. Yet, they charge an extra fee for not taking TV (which I assume is a fee for the analogue TV channels carried in other areas)

UPC Cable in Cork is digital-only.

Solair wrote: »
    Yeah if you don't want it.

I think UPC should give Cork cable customers who want internet / phone only a discount though as they cannot get analogue TV as it's not carried on the network at all. Yet, they charge an extra fee for not taking TV (which I assume is a fee for the analogue TV channels carried in other areas)

UPC Cable in Cork is digital-only.

Well here in Eindhoven the Analog TV is all in Dutch anyway :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The thread title is UTV....the thread is about UPC...I'm confused

Have you ever been to Poland or Romania .. do you know how much they earn there ?

Vodka is also cheaper too.

They can charge people much less if they wanted to, and ISPs don't pay for the speed to anyone, they pay for the amount (in GB/TB), but they keep raising prices every so often.

• Advertisement

They can charge people much less if they wanted to, and ISPs don't pay for the speed to anyone, they pay for the amount (in GB/TB), but they keep raising prices every so often.

OT, but

Lots of stuff is cheaper in Poland, Latvia, Greece, Portugal etc than in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and so on.

Its called a business for a reason.

And your point that "Their ripping off the Irish" is invalid.

You really think the cost to build a telecoms infrastructure in Poland is the same as in Ireland or the Netherlands for that matter ?

Do you think a person working for UPC in Ireland would be capable of working on the same wage as a Person working for UPC in Poland with the higher cost of living in Ireland ?

Advertisement