Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GoIreland rewrite history to make it "Irish"

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

My summary of the other 60-80% of the article was pretty much summed up as a misappropriation of credit - something which is hardly the sole preserve of the Irish when it comes to inventors or inventions,

At no point did I say it was. :confused:
    and hardly something to be particularly riled about.

And yet here you are. I like how you are also now trying to direct the level of my emotions. Wonder how that will work out.
    I even touched on this point when I made a deliberately sarcastic post about Edison and Tesla.

Which I thanked.
    Hell, it's a topic which is often entertained by cracked articles and trivia books, so to call out one particular Organisation over the debacle as being slightly more guilty than the others just seems a bit far-fetched.

I started a thread on one example, not the whole topic of trivia.
    I would be a liar to claim that I knew the exact content of the Referendum you happened to mention, but generally I'm in favour of anything which supports the right to amnesty for asylum-seekers.

Not hard to research now is it???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-seventh_Amendment_of_the_Constitution_of_Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

MadsL wrote: »
    At no point did I say it was. :confused:

Then rather than ignoring it as simply an exaggerated (more than often false) example of Ireland's contribution to the Scientific world, you claimed it as State [Word revoked by MadsL].

The article was a fluff piece, as another Poster pointed out. It's hardly an attempt by a State Agency to rewrite History, as the thread title puts it.
    And yet here you are. I like how you are also now trying to direct the level of my emotions. Wonder how that will work out.

What can I say, I'm a self confessed Political masochist, and love to torment myself with endless arguments and irreconcilable disputes.

I wouldn't be on a forum if I wasn't. ;)

Again, I don't live in the Republic.

As such, my contribution to the topic equates to nowt. But I'll give the Wiki article a quick glance over for the sake of it.

Then rather than ignoring it as simply an exaggerated (more than often false) example of Ireland's contribution to the Scientific world, you claimed it as State [Word revoked by MadsL].

The article was a fluff piece, as another Poster pointed out. It's hardly an attempt by a State Agency to rewrite History, as the thread title puts it.

Are you deliberately missing the fact I said this several pages ago.
    Apologies for giving the impression GoIreland was state funded, it was indirectly until 2004. Sorry for any confusion caused. FEXCO bought it out and it is now a private system.
    What can I say, I'm a self confessed Political masochist, and love to torment myself with endless arguments and irreconcilable disputes.

I wouldn't be on a forum if I wasn't. ;)
    I think you'll find a world of pain trying to control people's level of Rilement (is that a word, I feel it should be)
    Again, I don't live in the Republic.
    Wasn't a qualification to answer my question.
    As such, my contribution to the topic equates to nowt. But I'll give the Wiki article a quick glance over for the sake of it.

For someone so vested in what constitutes Irish nationality, I'm surprised you are not more familiar with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Gay Byrne invented sex apparently.
    Or is gay burn something you get?

stoneill wrote: »
    Gay Byrne invented sex apparently.
    Or is gay burn something you get?

Marty Whelan invented the moustache.

Wait. Sorry, Marty Whelan has a moustache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Is he Belgian?

I think you'll find my point as explained above is that your parents' ethnicity and nationality play a very great role in determining a person's view of their nationality.

I'd be certain that Boyle would have choked on his coffee had you described him as an Irishman.[/
    QUOTE]

No you're not. The man is dead a few century you have no idea whether he would like to be called an Irish man or not. It's simply your opinion and not even worth debating to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

So if you were born in Spain on holiday, would you describe yourself as Spanish?
    To help you, you might want to read the text of the 27th Amendment of the Constitution of Ireland.

Clearly the majority of the Irish population consider parents' nationality to be very much to do with a child's nationality?

You specifically said father, not parent. My mother is Irish.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    No you're not. The man is dead a few century you have no idea whether he would like to be called an Irish man or not. It's simply your opinion and not even worth debating to be honest.

I'm not certain? I certainly am.

Ah I see. Your entire argument against that is "that's your opinion". Awesome.

Well done. You see the way I provide reasons earlier, that's called debating points, you might want to try it sometime.

syklops wrote: »
    You specifically said father, not parent. My mother is Irish.

So to ask my question again, if you were born on holidays in Spain to a Scottish father and an Irish mother, would that make you Spanish?

I'm not certain? I certainly am.

Ah I see. Your entire argument against that is "that's your opinion". Awesome.

Well done. You see the way I provide reasons earlier, that's called debating points, you might want to try it sometime.

You stated to be certain about a man's reaction if he was called an Irish man. The man in question has been dead centuries so as I said you're not certain.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    You stated to be certain about a man's reaction if he was called an Irish man. The man in question has been dead centuries so as I said you're not certain.

No I am. I'm quite certain about my opinion.

Will we continue this "Yes, it is. No, it isn't." stuff. or would you like to put up a reason why Boyle would have consider himself Irish given that.

1. The 17th century Planters were English
    2. His was the son of an Earl
    3. His brothers were involved in massacring the Irish
    4. He clearly only wanted irish estates for the money
    5. He got the f out of Ireland and stayed out for his entire life except for brief visits to sort out the estates
    6. He was a loyal Cavalier of the King
    7. He called the Irish "illiterate"

There's seven.

Have you even one reason to believe he considered himself Irish except that he was squeezed out in Lismore??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

conorhal wrote: »
    But with his contemptable self loathing and mealy mouthed begrudgery towards the country, what else could he be but Irish?

This "self loathing" crap is bandied about on AH a lot. It's not "self loathing" to point out that someone isn't irish. Even if he did consider himself Irish but we don't know, it's not self loathing to question his nationality if it is indeed in question.
    To make any point about Ireland that's not 100% positive isn't self loathing. It's almost as misused as that other word you used, "begrudgery".

No I am. I'm quite certain about my opinion.

Will we continue this "Yes, it is. No, it isn't." stuff. or would you like to put up a reason why Boyle would have consider himself Irish given that.

1. The 17th century Planters were English
    2. His was the son of an Earl
    3. His brothers were involved in massacring the Irish
    4. He clearly only wanted irish estates for the money
    5. He got the f out of Ireland and stayed out for his entire life except for brief visits to sort out the estates
    6. He was a loyal Cavalier of the King
    7. He called the Irish "illiterate"

There's seven.

Have you even one reason to believe he considered himself Irish except that he was squeezed out in Lismore??

No not particularly but then I dont claim to know the man's thoughts. Neither of us can know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Cienciano wrote: »

This "self loathing" crap is bandied about on AH a lot. It's not "self loathing" to point out that someone isn't irish. Even if he did consider himself Irish but we don't know, it's not self loathing to question his nationality if it is indeed in question.
    To make any point about Ireland that's not 100% positive isn't self loathing. It's almost as misused as that other word you used, "begrudgery".

Starting a thread on this fluff piece is the self-loathing bit. Not Boyle. He was definitely not Irish. That's a bit of a run around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Are you deliberately missing the fact I said this several pages ago.

I'm guessing you missed the "revoked by MadsL" point that I made, but I was referring to the sentiment of your earlier posts which were hardly an example of a forgiving approach to the topic.
    I think you'll find a world of pain trying to control people's level of Rilement (is that a word, I feel it should be)

It is now.
    Wasn't a qualification to answer my question.

For someone so vested in what constitutes Irish nationality, I'm surprised you are not more familiar with it.

Seeing that I was, let's see, the grand age of Twelve or Thirteen when the Amendment was made - an Amendment which admittedly by European standards was hardly earth shattering and simply moved Ireland into line with the rest of the Union - I'm not particularly surprised that I wasn't made aware of it at the time.

Regardless, if there ever was an effort made to repeal the Amendment, and provided I was capable of voting on it (which I'm not), then I would be in favour of the repeal - provided that efforts were made to limit instances of "Birth tourism" (i.e. strict regulations on the issuing of Visas).

You're not for the whole born in the stable approach, are you?

Interestingly enough my ancestors - I mean 19th century, I did a family tree - were servants of the Devonshires who now own Lismore - an impressive Castle/Country house even by English standards, although not by the standards of the Devonshires.

But this thread has run its course for me, I am glad that some Irish man at some time or other invented the unsubscribe button.

Starting a thread on this fluff piece is the self-loathing bit.

Describe the nature of the self-loathing I exhibited in my OP please.
    But this thread has run its course for me, I am glad that some Irish man at some time or other invented the unsubscribe button.

You think vBulletin is Irish software, oh dear, I have some bad news for you.
    I'm guessing you missed the "revoked by MadsL" point that I made, but I was referring to the sentiment of your earlier posts which were hardly an example of a forgiving approach to the topic.
    I though you meant the work propaganda, rather than State.

It is now.
    Good.

Seeing that I was, let's see, the grand age of Twelve or Thirteen when the Amendment was made - an Amendment which admittedly by European standards was hardly earth shattering and simply moved Ireland into line with the rest of the Union - I'm not particularly surprised that I wasn't made aware of it at the time.
    History lesson for you so.
    Regardless, if there ever was an effort made to repeal the Amendment, and provided I was capable of voting on it (which I'm not), then I would be in favour of the repeal - provided that efforts were made to limit instances of "Birth tourism" (i.e. strict regulations on the issuing of Visas).

OK
    You're not for the whole born in the stable approach, are you?
    It is not very consistently applied now is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Wavin. Right. Not Dutch then?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavin

(heres the original)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Starting a thread on this fluff piece is the self-loathing bit. Not Boyle. He was definitely not Irish. That's a bit of a run around.

How? He's pointing out that it's bollocks and it is. Nothing self loathing about it. Just someone pointing out a number of inaccuracies in an ad. Just because the ad happens to be some tourist crap ad for ireland doesn't make it self loathing.

• Advertisement

I decided to pop back in to point out to serious minds that I don't really believe that an Irishman invented the unsubscribe button.

Now continue to get over-excited by a "State Sponsered" fluff piece in a privately funded tourist website which , tongue in cheek, over credits some Irish people with certain inventions.

I mean, God knows, that's the most important thing that ever happened. Someone is wrong on the Internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

I decided to pop back in to point out to serious minds that I don't really believe that an Irishman invented the unsubscribe button.

Now continue to get over-excited by a "State Sponsered" fluff piece in a privately funded tourist website which , tongue in cheek, over credits some Irish people with certain inventions.

I mean, God knows, that's the most important thing that ever happened. Someone is wrong on the Internet.

I fervently hope that Jim Corr never reads your last six-word sentence, for there's only one word to accurately describe the consequences that this revelatory fact woud have on our Jim, ..............MELTDOWN!!!

...and yet here you are. Again.

Advertisement