Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replace a hard drive

Options
  • 27-12-2012 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭

I dropped my sony vaio laptop and killed the hard drive, the system was running windows 7, i have an older dell that i wana use the hard drive from, but system ran windows xp.
    I tried already to installl the hard drive and boot up the system but it does not load up, how can i get it to work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

You are probably better off reinstalling from scratch since the dell hd has an OS with a totally different configuration - dell mb, process, expansion cards, etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Download Windows 7 here and install the version that matches your license sticker underneath the laptop. You can use this CD Key to activate Windows. Your old XP install won't work out of the box due to driver differences, but it also won't activate on any other machine other than your old Dell

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

yoyo wrote: »
    Download Windows 7 here and install the version that matches your license sticker underneath the laptop. You can use this CD Key to activate Windows. Your old XP install won't work out of the box due to driver differences, but it also won't activate on any other machine other than your old Dell

Nick

So do i just wipe the old hard drive and download the new os and it should start up for me on the sony

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

levitronix wrote: »
    So do i just wipe the old hard drive and download the new os and it should start up for me on the sony

Thats it, yep :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Borrow the CD/DVD from a kindly soul or download that ISO image. If you go the ISO route you have to burn a CD...

You may have to get into the BIOS and set the CD/DVD as the first boot device.

Have a look Here for a better explanation.

The sticker for your key is usually underneath the machine but some manufacturere put it in the battery compartment. Remove the battery and carefully copy the letters/numbers for easy reading as the print is very small

• Advertisement
Advertisement