Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfit soccer league? :)

Options
  • 27-12-2012 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi
    The title might be confusing but I'm looking for league/team for mid to late 20 year olds who are unfit. I know of clubs like castle villa, carlow town etc but I'm only playing astro once a week and miss more than I score.
    Is there teams about that accept inexperienced and not so good players but still play in a league structure?
    Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

neddynono wrote: »
    Hi
    The title might be confusing but I'm looking for league/team for mid to late 20 year olds who are unfit. I know of clubs like castle villa, carlow town etc but I'm only playing astro once a week and miss more than I score.
    Is there teams about that accept inexperienced and not so good players but still play in a league structure?
    Any advice?
    There are 4 men's divisions in the Carlow league, so you could probably be looking at playing with 1 of the lower division teams. In Carlow town Carlow rovers or Hanover harps are probably your best bet. I can pm you contact details for any club.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

mickos wrote: »
    There are 4 men's divisions in the Carlow league, so you could probably be looking at playing with 1 of the lower division teams. In Carlow town Carlow rovers or Hanover harps are probably your best bet. I can pm you contact details for any club.

What's the age range of those lower division teams? Are they all 18 or 19 year olds?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

neddynono wrote: »

What's the age range of those lower division teams? Are they all 18 or 19 year olds?
    It varies, you will Get a lot of younger lads alrite but plenty of older too.

I don't suppose there are any teams that are all mid 20's? Castle villa (nearest to me) have an over 35s team afaik. What about in between?

Just going to bump this up as there must be more people like me looking to get into soccer.
    I'm looking for a team (a b team if necessary) to play in weekly. I'm 25 and unfit so want a team who will be patient or have a few players in a similar state to me. I just need o discipline of weekly or twice weekly training sessions to improve.
    Suggestions?

• Advertisement

Bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Why not see about joining a GAA team. Most teams would have a junior b or c team which would be older lads winding down and younger lads coming up.

I don't like/watch/have an interest in gaa so not for me

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Johnatorium

Go to www.carlowsoccer.ie
    You'll get contact details for all the clubs. There's plenty of clubs in the lower divisions that would suit you. Your not going to find a team that is exclusively mid-20's. All teams are made of a mix of a few young lads and a few more experienced lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just thought I'd bump this rather than create a new thread.

Recently started playing five a side in work during lunch which has reignited my interest in football. Am in my early 30's so dont quite make the over 35's and pretty much looking for the same as the OP, a team for a run out once a week, nothing too competitive.

I was just wondering if anyone would have any information on any teams like this, or even of a group looking for numbers for a game of 5 a side, as I know I have probably missed the registration deadline for the current season.

I am not originally from Carlow so wouldn't be too familiar with the teams around, but did have a quick look at a few web pages like Hannover Harps who said they had an A,B,C team but I would be unsure of the levels each team play at.

If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I play for a team in the First division, one below the premier division. New Oak B, Crettyard B and smaller teams like mine, Ballymurphy and a few others play in our league. The standard is not much different to the Premier Division but most players would be reasonably fit and most teams would have at least 5 or 6 skilled players. Our B team play in the Third Division where the standard is much lower and most teams seem to have a fairly inconsistent set of players, I'd say any teams playing in that division would suit both of you. Have a look at the www.carlowsoccer.ie website and you can see the teams that are in that division. If you're concerned about how good/bad you are, just go watch a game on a Sunday and you'll see the standard, its not great at even the top division IMO so don't be too worried about that.

Main thing is to find a team that puts some bit of effort in, lots of the teams in the lower divisions just show up on Sundays and hope for the best, i'd advise against that as you'll only get frustrated if you're putting the effort in. You can get in touch with a few clubs and turn up for a training session or two to try get a feel for it without registering with anyone as well so don't rush it. Best of luck with it!

Thanks for that, just had a look and will contact some of the local ones and see how it goes.

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I wouldn't be so worried about fitness. I went back this year after a few years off and its great to be back kicking ball again.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Out of interest, does anyone still play the boards 5-a-side games in the IT astro pitches? I remember playing quite a few when they were going. Would be great to get it going again!

I'd be up for it if it gets going.

Might be interested depending on what night.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I can't play these day sadly bad knees and ankles and all that jazz.

But I can bring my laptop up can create a match thread for boards and troll you all while you play :p

I can't play these day sadly bad knees and ankles and all that jazz.

But I can bring my laptop up can create a match thread for boards and troll you all while you play :p

A bit of lurking around the pitches as well!

Advertisement