Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineers wages British Columbia ,what to expect??

• 27-12-2012 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭

hi all,
    contemplating what part of canada to travel to for work in Building HVAC engineering,i presume some areas pay better than other areas solely based on labour shortages.

would $30.00 per hour which is €23.00 be an average wage for an engineer?

i going over with 5 years experience after completing an honours degree in engineering (2005).

i see that the minimum wage is close to $9.50 per hour.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Id say around $56k would be the average for a HVAC design engineer with 5 yrs experience in BC.

If you were in Toronto then it would be at least $60k.

I wouldn't recommend BC at all, the economy has slowed up.

Calgary would be my first recommendation followed by Toronto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭misnormer

fat__tony wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend BC at all, the economy has slowed up.

which sectors have slowed is it commercial projects nearing completion?

i considered toronto but was more focused on B.C thinking that wages wouldnt differ that much from state to state.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

misnormer wrote: »
    which sectors have slowed is it commercial projects nearing completion?

i considered toronto but was more focused on B.C thinking that wages wouldnt differ that much from state to state.

Construction in general in Vancouver is nowhere near the level of activity in Toronto.

Also, salaries in Toronto are approximately 10-15% higher than Vancouver.

The cost of living in Vancouver is extremely expensive also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Without doing any research on it i would say that 5 yrs experience in a HVAC role would have you earning approx $80k in Calgary. Probably the same in Edmonton. I don't work in Design, but i am in Construction industry in Calgary and it pays a lot better than BC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/wage-outlook_search-eng.do?reportOption=wage use this tool to determine the high average and low end of the scale for jobs in most areas of Canada

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭misnormer

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/wage-outlook_search-eng.do?reportOption=wage use this tool to determine the high average and low end of the scale for jobs in most areas of Canada

Thanks .

Advertisement