Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Encouragement and fun~!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Grian1

For History Plantations does anyone know the effects of religion, political control and languages and customs? I can't find it anywhere!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Grian1 wrote: »
    For History Plantations does anyone know the effects of religion, political control and languages and customs? I can't find it anywhere!!!!

The Plantations are very simple.
    Before - almost exclusively Catholic land owners, allegiance to local leaders, speaking Irish and following Irish customs and laws.
    After - majority of land in Protestant hands, allegiance to English throne, speaking English and following English customs and laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

my mocks start tomorrow and i'm been told not to worry because "you have a competition on wednesday". nonetheless, i am now having an absolute spaz attack while whacking myself in the head with my english exam papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

Anyone starting their mocks tomorrow - DON'T FREAK OUT!
    I studied for my mocks and ended up with nearly everything D's, and everyone around me was getting b's and c's and some A's.. I felt so craaap! It was a good kick up the backside, and I did all my subjects at honours level and I ended up with 9 honours and 3 passes so please, PLEASE don't be upset if the mocks work out, they're there to give you an idea of what the real exams are like and to see what levels you would like to take before filling out the levels form which is the last change you can make - you can't change them back.
    Get enough sleep tonight, take breaks from studying every half hour, try make a reward system out of it - do an English comprehension and you can go on the internet or something like that!
    Bring water to your exam, it will honestly help, the rooms you do exams in will probably have the heating on which can make you feel really sleepy and the water will wake you up and of course give you something to keep you busy with pre exam or during exam nerves! (Don't drink it all in one go though, just small sips, they don't let you leave exams to use the toilet unless it's an emergency, at least my school didn't).
    Don't do what loads of people (including myself) did last year and try to cram until about 1 a.m, going into exams tired doesn't work, and cramming until 1 a.m doesn't work either - you're too overtired to take in any information and you'll forget most of it!
    Organize your pens and pencils. Keep a set of colours with you as well during exams, you will probably need them for science and geography.
    Don't eat too much the night before or in the morning if you are feeling nervous - In the morning if you're not feeling too well chew some gum to keep your mind off it. But don't eat nothing , that's just as bad! Please, please don't get so nervous you get sick! And tell the supervisor before you go in if you really don't feel well , he/she might give you some leeway and let you start your exam a little bit later or will allow you to leave your exam without question if you feel you're going to be sick.
    Don't bring your mobile phone in to the exam. 3 people got caught last year with them when they went off. Keep it at home or really make sure your phone is on silent.
    Don't feel pressured by other people. If people are saying they didn't study at all, or they studied so much their brain swelled by 10 percent, don't listen to them, they're probably lying. Don't disclose how much you studied because it's just kind of silly and of course, quality, not quantity ;)
    Girls with long hair - tie it up. Seriously you will thank me :P
    When you get home from exams get a good sleep! Take a power nap and get your dinner, then sit down to study. You will feel a lot better than coming in, and getting straight to the studying and falling asleep midway! Like I said you won't take in anything if you're tired.
    Shower in the morning, not at night, you can take your time in the morning instead of rushing around at night to get your study done and what not.
    Everyone looks rougher than usual doing their exams so don't be worried about spots and all. Try keep foundation to a minimum or use tinted moisturizer and a bit of concealer because foundation will just encourage more spots when you're under stress.

Okay very very long but if you TL;DR - Don't get too upset over the mocks. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭MinnieMouse15

^ THIS!
    You are so good for writing it. Mine start in 3 weeks, I'll be ok.
    I'll just add that really REALLY don't bring your phones. My teacher said that if you get caught, they need to take your phone and post it with your exam to correct and you will never see it again. This is because they will want to see if there was anything on your phone that you could use to cheat. So just watch out for that. Also, it's just mocks. No one will ever ask you, when you're an adult, what you got in mocks or JC?! It's just to see where you're at and what you would like to do for the LC which is very important but since I won't be doing TY if I do bad in LC as in if I don't get enough points for Medicine then I'll repeat the LC and I will keep repeating it until I get it, that's the goal! so don't worry if you fail once, try try again. Don't give up easily. And don't think about the exam when it's over. Never check the answers in the book - if you got it right in the exam. The answer might be wrong and then you'll be so upset for loosing points. Just if anyone asks say it was hard or i did my best whatever the truth is and just forget about it. I made that mistake lots of times and I couldnt sleep as i was trying to work out if i still got an A with such a mistake etc.
    Once again, GOOD LUCK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Uqw9hOq7

AulBiddy wrote: »
    Anyone starting their mocks tomorrow - DON'T FREAK OUT!
    I studied for my mocks and ended up with nearly everything D's, and everyone around me was getting b's and c's and some A's.. I felt so craaap! It was a good kick up the backside, and I did all my subjects at honours level and I ended up with 9 honours and 3 passes so please, PLEASE don't be upset if the mocks work out, they're there to give you an idea of what the real exams are like and to see what levels you would like to take before filling out the levels form which is the last change you can make - you can't change them back.
    Get enough sleep tonight, take breaks from studying every half hour, try make a reward system out of it - do an English comprehension and you can go on the internet or something like that!
    Bring water to your exam, it will honestly help, the rooms you do exams in will probably have the heating on which can make you feel really sleepy and the water will wake you up and of course give you something to keep you busy with pre exam or during exam nerves! (Don't drink it all in one go though, just small sips, they don't let you leave exams to use the toilet unless it's an emergency, at least my school didn't).
    Don't do what loads of people (including myself) did last year and try to cram until about 1 a.m, going into exams tired doesn't work, and cramming until 1 a.m doesn't work either - you're too overtired to take in any information and you'll forget most of it!
    Organize your pens and pencils. Keep a set of colours with you as well during exams, you will probably need them for science and geography.
    Don't eat too much the night before or in the morning if you are feeling nervous - In the morning if you're not feeling too well chew some gum to keep your mind off it. But don't eat nothing , that's just as bad! Please, please don't get so nervous you get sick! And tell the supervisor before you go in if you really don't feel well , he/she might give you some leeway and let you start your exam a little bit later or will allow you to leave your exam without question if you feel you're going to be sick.
    Don't bring your mobile phone in to the exam. 3 people got caught last year with them when they went off. Keep it at home or really make sure your phone is on silent.
    Don't feel pressured by other people. If people are saying they didn't study at all, or they studied so much their brain swelled by 10 percent, don't listen to them, they're probably lying. Don't disclose how much you studied because it's just kind of silly and of course, quality, not quantity ;)
    Girls with long hair - tie it up. Seriously you will thank me :P
    When you get home from exams get a good sleep! Take a power nap and get your dinner, then sit down to study. You will feel a lot better than coming in, and getting straight to the studying and falling asleep midway! Like I said you won't take in anything if you're tired.
    Shower in the morning, not at night, you can take your time in the morning instead of rushing around at night to get your study done and what not.
    Everyone looks rougher than usual doing their exams so don't be worried about spots and all. Try keep foundation to a minimum or use tinted moisturizer and a bit of concealer because foundation will just encourage more spots when you're under stress.

Okay very very long but if you TL;DR - Don't get too upset over the mocks. :P

That cram bit seems to be an exception for me....I've crammed every single exam I've done and have a high A rate (Other than English and Religion).

I shower at night, I'm fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Uqw9hOq7 wrote: »
    That cram bit seems to be an exception for me....I've crammed every single exam I've done and have a high A rate (Other than English and Religion).

I shower at night, I'm fine.

It's the JC, huge percentages of people get As.
    Don't expect the same to happen in the Leaving.

Advertisement