Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a bag of bluebell bulbs.

Options
  • 28-12-2012 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭

Was doing a few jobs over at the mothers house and found them in the shed. Taped up in brown paper and labeled. She says she probably got them around Sept when I was planting out for her and forgot to give them to me.

Haven't opened the bag yet but wondering if there's anything to be done with them? Presume I can't plant them out so late but would they grow if I potted them and kept them inside? Maybe kept them in the dark for a month/six weeks and then put them on a windowsill?

Only cost here a fiver for the bag going by the label so no big loss if they aren't viable now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Pl;ant them outside. They will be a bit late but ok in following years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Ahh, good stuff. The label said last plant was November.

A lot easier answer than I hoped for, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I suggest you check and see if you can figure out whether they are Spanish bluebells or English bluebells. Is there a picture? The Spanish ones are more upright on stronger stems with flowers all round the stem, whereas the English ones tend to have flowers to one side of the stem and the stem curves over.

The reason I am saying this is, if you put in Spanish bluebells they will take over your garden. Seriously. You will be hauling out bluebells for the rest of time. They are second only to montbretia for spreading. If you are doubtful put them in a large pot and see what comes up.

Label says English. She says she got them from Midletons on Mary St Dublin so I'd say that's a reliable enough indicator?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Label says English. She says she got them from Midletons on Mary St Dublin so I'd say that's a reliable enough indicator?

Yes - they should be fine.
    If you have a moist shady spot -e.g. under a deciduous tree - they will thrive outdoors. Just be sure it's in a place that won't be mowed regularly - if at all. The bluebells will not die down and wont tolerate being mowed over, as daffodils do. Otherwise a big pot/trough will do, but they need winter and spring sun, and then shade for the heat of summer - if such a thing ever happens again :)

• Advertisement

Yeah, have the perfect spot. Bottom of the garden on the west/southwest flank of a big chestnut.
    Going to plant them tomorrow if the rain keeps off for an hour.

Advertisement