Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing in Canada

Options
  • 28-12-2012 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I am a general nurse and am planning to go to Canada middle to end of next year. Ad I'm just wondering could anyone give me information on nursing recruitment agenices, job situation, CRNE , etc.

Any help would be great, thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 2710

Hey did you find out any information? are those exams do-able? Im thinking of going too...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

I was talking about Nursing options with an Irish Nurse working in canada.
    I was making enquiries on behalf of a friend who is a qualified experienced nurse/midwife here, and my enquiry was largely concerned with a SINP applicant to the Saskatchewan province, so the info I was given is largely specific to my enquiry.

This info may be of some use to you....

She said...
    It took me 14 months to get a grad nurse permit here and then another 5 months before I could write the CRNE, each province has its own registration board so she would need to decide where she wants to work and then apply to that provincial board. The only option for SINP is if she went to a region that are really short of RNs. For SINP the employer has to justify why they are hiring an overseas nurse not a canadian. When I came to Lloyd they were really short of RNs but not anymore. So I think it would be hard to get SINP in Lloyd at this time.
    Provinces like BC, Ontario and Alberta make people do courses. Saskatchewan doesn't usually make nurses from english speaking countries who have degrees do any course but as I said they took 14 months to process my paperwork and issue a grad nurse permit.
    Every single nurse in canada has to write the CRNE when they qualify, as an overseas nurse it doesn't matter if you have 20 years experience they make you do it. Your not "registered" until you pass that exam and its only held 3 times a year.
    If she's a direct entry midwife and not a registered nurse I don't know where she would stand, she would need to contact whichever provincial registration board she wants to apply to and she if they would recognise the qualification.
    Sorry, im sure you were hoping for better news..... its totally worth it but a looooooooooong process

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nimi

dreamsoftravel, did you make it to Canada? How long did the process take and was the CRNE exam really as difficult as the rumours say it is???

I'm a general nurse, 4 years qualified and currently holding both Irish and Australian registrations. Considering going to Calgary, Alberta this year but all the talk of how difficult the exam/slow registration process is putting me off. I have never met a nurse that has registered in Canada either. If anyone has ANY information or advice it would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nelly13

I was talking about Nursing options with an Irish Nurse working in canada.
    I was making enquiries on behalf of a friend who is a qualified experienced nurse/midwife here, and my enquiry was largely concerned with a SINP applicant to the Saskatchewan province, so the info I was given is largely specific to my enquiry.

This info may be of some use to you....

She said...
    It took me 14 months to get a grad nurse permit here and then another 5 months before I could write the CRNE, each province has its own registration board so she would need to decide where she wants to work and then apply to that provincial board. The only option for SINP is if she went to a region that are really short of RNs. For SINP the employer has to justify why they are hiring an overseas nurse not a canadian. When I came to Lloyd they were really short of RNs but not anymore. So I think it would be hard to get SINP in Lloyd at this time.
    Provinces like BC, Ontario and Alberta make people do courses. Saskatchewan doesn't usually make nurses from english speaking countries who have degrees do any course but as I said they took 14 months to process my paperwork and issue a grad nurse permit.
    Every single nurse in canada has to write the CRNE when they qualify, as an overseas nurse it doesn't matter if you have 20 years experience they make you do it. Your not "registered" until you pass that exam and its only held 3 times a year.
    If she's a direct entry midwife and not a registered nurse I don't know where she would stand, she would need to contact whichever provincial registration board she wants to apply to and she if they would recognise the qualification.
    Sorry, im sure you were hoping for better news..... its totally worth it but a looooooooooong process

Hi mrs mcsweeney,
    You mentioned that BC and other provinces make you do courses, have you any idea what these are and how long they generally take? Also, does anyone know why it takes so long for them to process the paperwork?

I am a qualified general /children's nurse in Ireland, wanting to move to Toronto but I'm getting really put off by the sounds of this process!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

nelly13 wrote: »
    wanting to move to Toronto but I'm getting really put off by the sounds of this process!

I think that's the idea! (Canada is very protectionist in some areas). I hear that even once you get qualified in Canada that no matter how many years of experience you had in Ireland, you have to start from the bottom in Canada again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement