Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chip and Pin, How does the pin part work

Options
  • 28-12-2012 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Been curious as to how the pin in chip and pin works.
    Is the pin just stored on the chip in the card and verified off that or is it also stored centrally by the bank too?

Is the pin also stored on the magnetic swipe portion of the card too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

As far as I understand, it's stored in all three places. You can block your shopping pin (stored on the chip) but when you sync with ATM by putting in your PIN at the ATM, the ATM is reading the magnetic strip. I imagine the ATM then sends a message back to the bank to confirm the PIN is correct, gets the all clear, and synchronises the chip PIN to the magnetic PIN at the same time (or maybe you have to select 'unblock shopping PIN' from the PIN options or something').

So if your PIN isn't working at point of sale it doesn't mean it won't work at an ATM. I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

same idea as having pin on your phone it's saved onto the chip.
    This is why the skimmer people need your pin to clone your card and buy stuff unless they skim it and make online purchases

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

I would assume it's not stored on the magnetic swipe section, One could then read the card, brute force 9999 different pins and get the pin

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Hmm, I think you're right actually! The ATM must send the PIN to the bank to confirm! However, your PIN is also stored on the chip afaiu, hence the shopping PIN block (unblock at ATM).

Here's some googly info on the magnetic strip (not the chip): http://sidekick.windforwings.com/2008/02/how-are-atm-pins-validated.html

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

Cheers for the replies, Just got curious when my card was swiped in branch once and was asked for my pin, Thought it was stored only on the chip and nowhere else!

Wonder is it possible for the chip and pin pin and the centrally stored pin to get out of sync.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

teddy b123 wrote: »
    Been curious as to how the pin in chip and pin works.
    Is the pin just stored on the chip in the card and verified off that or is it also stored centrally by the bank too?

Is the pin also stored on the magnetic swipe portion of the card too?

There are two versions of how it works,

UK & Ireland use "off-line" pin, much of Europe (esp Germany) use on-line pin

With off-line PIN, the PIN in stored on the Card.

Advertisement