Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed ramps, dunboyne road, Maynooth

Options
  • 28-12-2012 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

Anyone else think these are a disgrace? My car scrapes every time I go over them, but it's the step up and down off the ramp that's the bother. They are that bad that I nearly busted my sump on them the other day. Are any local td's on here at all? Who should I be complaining to to get something done about it?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Couldn't agree more. It's like hitting a wall when you roll up to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Take some pics if possible or add google maps image. also write to local council and if any damage to your car apply for that off them also as they will do something if they start costing them money

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭the_big_kahuna

Are these the ramps on the road down towards the angling club? Where you pass the girls school.... if so, I completely agree. They are unbelievably dreadful. I hit my car a few times as well because I used to take the same route to work every day until October. Absolutely disgraceful ramps

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Councillor

I agree completely with the comments on these ramps and the Council are well aware of their condition. The ramps on Meadowbrook Road are nearly as bad. We were advised at the Celbridge Area Committee meeting on 13 December that it would cost €200,000 to repair all of the defective ramps in Maynooth, Celbridge and Leixlip and that the Council don't have the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

Councillor wrote: »
    I agree completely with the comments on these ramps and the Council are well aware of their condition. The ramps on Meadowbrook Road are nearly as bad. We were advised at the Celbridge Area Committee meeting on 13 December that it would cost €200,000 to repair all of the defective ramps in Maynooth, Celbridge and Leixlip and that the Council don't have the money.

That to me sounds like a waaaaay over the top price to fix a few ramps. If its goin to be too much for them, why don't they just remove them altogether then?

Also yes, meadow brook ones are very bad too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 eimhin.ennis

They're bad if you don't know about them and hit them hard, but if you know they are there then surely it's just a case of slowing down enough to go over them comfortably.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

They're bad if you don't know about them and hit them hard, but if you know they are there then surely it's just a case of slowing down enough to go over them comfortably.....

It doesn't make a huge difference. There is no slope up to them at all. As I said above, it's just like hitting a wall.

But they're not ramps any more! They are like kerbs trying to get over them. And the fact I have a lower car than others, I can damage sills exhaust and sump off these. They have been like this for a good while now so surely the council have saved their 200,000 by now??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

That to me sounds like a waaaaay over the top price to fix a few ramps. If its goin to be too much for them, why don't they just remove them altogether then?

Also yes, meadow brook ones are very bad too.

I think they should rip them all up.
    They had the money to install Belisha beacon and new zebra crossing in 4 locations in Celbridge 3 of which are to close to a major junction and should be at-least 30-40 yards further away from the junction.
    It's the traffic light madness mk2

Stealthirl wrote: »
    I think they should rip them all up.
    They had the money to install Belisha beacon and new zebra crossing in 4 locations in Celbridge 3 of which are to close to a major junction and should be at-least 30-40 yards further away from the junction.
    It's the traffic light madness mk2

True that!

that you Damo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Indeed it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Dunboyne Road ramps are completely out of spec with the 1980s regulations and I never remember seeing a public notice for their construction under the newer regulations - surely they should be removed rather than repaired in this case as they're likely illegal?

They were installed by the developer of Carton Square.

They were installed by the developer of Carton Square.

So the developer of carton square is responsible for the damage it causes to our cars? Have you a name and contact details for this person?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mileycactus

Completely agree. Ramps are like kerbs. The one outside the school was the same and I rang the council to say people were trying to find the easiest route over in the middle of the road outside the school and its a matter of time before there was an accident.. It's fixed now and it's grand to get over

If council won't fix they should be removed as they are causing damage... Try ring the council like I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

As I said put in for repairs on cars Suspension/tyres etc and they will fix them that night

I believe that the developer has gone out of business

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Planning permission was put in by a Glenmoy Developments Limited, which I believe the developer behind is still around and building in Maynooth. 03/2084 is the file number.

Took about half an hour to find that with the shockingly slow, Windows IE only online planning system!

MYOB, you are correct and the clause that called for traffic calming is 32. When I previously asked the Area Engineer to pursue the issue of the damaged ramps with Glenmoy she stated either that they had gone out of business or that it was too late. I will again submit a Motion to the Area Committee on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

If you do damage your car on defective ramps, surly you can take the KCC to court to reclaim the cost. My friend did this when he bust a new alloy wheel on a pothole. They are obliged to keep the road in a usable safe condition.

• Advertisement

brokenarms wrote: »
    If you do damage your car on defective ramps, surly you can take the KCC to court to reclaim the cost. My friend did this when he bust a new alloy wheel on a pothole. They are obliged to keep the road in a usable safe condition.

By what it sounds like, it's not the kcc's problem but that of the developer of carton square! So don't think you could bring them to court!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

By what it sounds like, it's not the kcc's problem but that of the developer of carton square! So don't think you could bring them to court!

But who issued the contract to build the ramps? And then signed them off and paid for them. The developer just did the cheapo job on them.

I found that bad work gets done in excess in Kildare roads.

Look at the resurfacing work on the Straffen to Sallins road. They did not repair the pot holes before resurfacing. Now its just a mess. Why???

10000 of the public money they cry for wasted . BY THEM.

If people started objecting to this sort of crap in the courts for damage to their motors , maybe the management would act. Until then.. Well. Im sure your bought road tax this year. Bet it was not cheap. Where was it spent. Not on ramps thats for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mileycactus

MYOB, you are correct and the clause that called for traffic calming is 32. When I previously asked the Area Engineer to pursue the issue of the damaged ramps with Glenmoy she stated either that they had gone out of business or that it was too late. I will again submit a Motion to the Area Committee on the issue.

Bump - Any progress being made on this councillor? These are dangerous

All of the ramps throughout the county are in a terrible state. At the last Council meeting on 25 March I proposed that €100,000 be allocated for repair of ramps. This will be discussed at a special Council meeting on 19 April.

Advertisement