Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet in Patrickswell/Adare area

• 28-12-2012 12:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows what would be the best internet to get in the Patrickswell/Adare area? For anyone that knows the area, I live down towards Mount Earl and I have Pure Telecom at the moment but they are shockingly awful. We have the 3mb package but probably getting speeds of 100kb. We can't get UPC out here and I'm not sure about Imagine but I really need to change internet provider as the internet speeds at the moment are a joke and the connection keeps cutting out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

contact steveon of this fourm, a gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

BBnet (wireless) are based in Adare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I have bbnet, find them great. E38 per month unlimited use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

another +1 for bbnet have them 5 years and have had very few issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 redhead33

bb net pretty good ,they based in adare good service never had a prob ..25 euro per month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 redhead33

i have same service as you for 25 per month ,get on to them and ask for reduction they done it for me ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

BBnet are they better than Eircom - I just live outside the catchment area for Eircom's higher than 1mb connection and they couldnt give me a eta of when they will roll it out to my area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Thanks very much. Will look into it now.

Thanks everyone else for the help too :)

EDIT: Just checked out the website. The basic 2mb package is 30.99. What download speed do ye have? Also their customer service line isn't open again til January 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The Patrickswell exchange was upgraded to next-gen just before Christmas. There seems to be some teething problems with the upgrade.
    Anyone who has fixed line BB in this area appears to be experiencing dropped connections every 15/20 minutes.
    This should be sorted out early in the new year (according to a local eircom tech).
    Colemania, If you are using fixed line BB then it doesn't really matter who you pay your bills to, your BB is coming from an Eircom exchange and using the Eircom network .
    Wait until Eircom sort out this issue and you shouldn't have any more dropped connection problems....assuming you are connected to the Patrickswell exchange.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    The Patrickswell exchange was upgraded to next-gen just before Christmas. There seems to be some teething problems with the upgrade.
    Anyone who has fixed line BB in this area appears to be experiencing dropped connections every 15/20 minutes.
    This should be sorted out early in the new year (according to a local eircom tech).
    Colemania, If you are using fixed line BB then it doesn't really matter who you pay your bills to, your BB is coming from an Eircom exchange and using the Eircom network .
    Wait until Eircom sort out this issue and you shouldn't have any more dropped connection problems....assuming you are connected to the Patrickswell exchange.

Yes i have fixed line broadband which comes from eircom, even though we're being billed by Pure. Next gen you say? We can finally get faster and bettter internet then I assume, when its all fixed. Our connection at the moment drops every 2 minutes. Its truly awful!

• Advertisement

Unfortunately it's only the exchage that's getting upgraded (not the line from there to your house).
    What this should mean is that you will still only get download speeds of around 3 to 4 M/B (depends on the distance from your house to the exchange) but the contention ratio will be 1:1 so you should get the same speed the whole time, regardless of how many other houses are online.
    Just so you know I'm over in Crecora (same exchange) and both myself and my neighbour's connections keep dropping too since the "upgrade".

Unfortunately it's only the exchage that's getting upgraded (not the line from there to your house).
    What this should mean is that you will still only get download speeds of around 3 to 4 M/B (depends on the distance from your house to the exchange) but the contention ratio will be 1:1 so you should get the same speed the whole time, regardless of how many other houses are online.
    Just so you know I'm over in Crecora (same exchange) and both myself and my neighbour's connections keep dropping too since the "upgrade".

Oh ok i get you. Well ya constant speed of even 2.5mb would be great. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I'm a few miles from Adare and eircom is gone to sh1t lately, anytime theres a shower of rain or a gust of wind...connection drops! Had a technician out 3 times and he hummed and hawed and did every test under the sun and supposedly "fixed" the issue.

They'll be getting another call in the new year.

Just came home from work a while ago and the Internet seems to be better than usual. The connection hasn't dropped yet. Anyone know if the problem has been fixed?

Emailed bbnet today and they said I'm outside the coverage area at the moment.....Damn!!

Seems to be fixed up my way....5M/B download all the time.
    Sorry to hear you are not included colemania....although if you are on the Patrickswell exchange then you should be automatically connected to the newer gear.
    Maybe BBnet just don't want to make any promises regarding Download speeds etc.

Seems to be fixed up my way....5M/B download all the time.
    Sorry to hear you are not included colemania....although if you are on the Patrickswell exchange then you should be automatically connected to the newer gear.
    Maybe BBnet just don't want to make any promises regarding Download speeds etc.

Well the Internet is back to normal but normal being that we're getting on average speeds of 1.6mbps for our 3mb package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Colemania wrote: »
    Well the Internet is back to normal but normal being that we're getting on average speeds of 1.6mbps for our 3mb package.

Have you fitted the filters that came with your modem? If you have other telephones connected without filters that can drag down your speeds.

phog wrote: »

Have you fitted the filters that came with your modem? If you have other telephones connected without filters that can drag down your speeds.

Ya both filters have been fitted alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

redhead33 wrote: »
    i have same service as you for 25 per month ,get on to them and ask for reduction they done it for me ..

Thanks for that, will get onto them on Monday. Have been with them for 6 years, will fight my corner with them. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

Currently looking for broadband - located between Adare and Patrickswell. Any one know what best options are - Eircom said I can only get 1mb on their line which would be pointless!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

You could try BBNet - I think they're actually based in Adare - wireless broadband. We used to have them and found them pretty good, but some nearby trees interfered with the signal and we had to change our supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 jofree2roam

Hi there,

I am moving to adare village in a few weeks, whats the best provider now as Uswitch is coming up with sky, but Sky dont provide a phone line, eircom will provide the line, make sense?

Thanks hopefully I will have a connection soon!!

Eircom supply the line, but Sky, Vodafone, etc. are resellers....they pay eircom to use their infrastructure and then sell on to the consumer.

You would only get one Bill (including line rental) from whoever you sign up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The last time I checked Sky were charging €30 for line rental whereas the others were charging €25.

They could well be Bazz, but their prices for BB Bundles are still cheaper than the competition....even more so if you take their Basic TV Pack as part of the deal.
    No connection with them myself, in fact I cancelled my TV sub with them earlier this year.

Hi I had sky in UK for both bb and tv, their bb price per month is 3.75 for the 1st yr, but I have seen deals with free eve calls as well for 30 for 6 months and 40 thereafter, are they ok for adare village then?

Really shouldn't matter who you use for BB (if using a Landline) as they are all using the Eircom infrastructure.
    If there's a problem on the line it will affect all customers no matter who they pay their Bill to.
    So, it simply comes down to who provides the best deal to suit an individual.

Only in some of the bigger Cities have other providers (Vodafone for eg.) actually installed their own equipment in Eircom's Exchanges.

Really shouldn't matter who you use for BB (if using a Landline) as they are all using the Eircom infrastructure.
    If there's a problem on the line it will affect all customers no matter who they pay their Bill to.
    So, it simply comes down to who provides the best deal to suit an individual.

Only in some of the bigger Cities have other providers (Vodafone for eg.) actually installed their own equipment in Eircom's Exchanges.

Hi thanks for the info, I will go with sky I think as a landline will also be useful. Good to know that BB is available though, honestly didnt know as my uncle had BBNet or something like that before but because he was beyond Kilfinny he had lots of problems with his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

The Eircom (eir) fibre is in the "in build" stage for ages now in Patrickswell- any idea when it will be completed?

Advertisement