Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVI to HDMI - pc to tv setup.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

The first item there is not a DVI splitter. It is a very uncommon connection called a DMS-9 which will not plug into the DVI port of your standard PC. What you need is this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DVI-D-Y-Splitter-Cable-1-x-Male-Plug-to-2-x-Female-Sockets-GOLD-Pins-Connectors-/290835804156?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item43b72a2ffc

That should work with the DVI to HDMI lead. It will display an identical image on both screens, both of which must support the same resolution. Beware it will not operate like a multi-monitor setup whereby you can extend your desktop onto a second screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Perfect, cheers for that. Yeah an identical image on both screens is fine. Will give it a try and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Where do you want the sound to come from? TV or PC speakers?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Where do you want the sound to come from? TV or PC speakers?

Preferably from the tv but I think that means another cable so pc speakers will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I'm no expert but I'll just give you my set-up (from a few years ago).
    I got a 5m DVI to HDMI cable, the DVI plugs into the DVI socket on the computer's graphics card, the HDMI into the TV.
    Note: the cable only transfers pictures, NOT sound.
    I then go into the graphics options on the computer and set up dual-monitor, I then select the resolution of the TV.
    I can then drag programs to/from each device.
    Note: my graphics card has two o/p's, a DVI & VGA.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info Morrissee... I also only have one DVI output on my graphics card but my monitor is connected to it so that is why I need the splitter.

Will have to see what way my graphics card (ATI radeon) software is if it allows me to set up a dual screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Most new ATI have dual output (tbh your better off getting one).

DVI to monitor
    HDMI to tv with sound as the graphics card has a sound card built in.

All you have to do is switch soundcards before watching tv and thats it. Thats how i have it setup.

Add in Remote PC for Android and your lazy life is complete :D

Advertisement