Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas dinner in a hotel

Options
  • 28-12-2012 1:00am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hi all,

Have decided to try this next year. I usually cook dinner for my family, but I've grown tired of the hassle of cleaning up afterwards. So many trays & pots, etc!! Would prefer to relax on Xmas day than be cooking & tidying.

Can anyone recommend a good place in Dublin to go for Xmas dinner next year, and what have your experiences been?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Moved from Food & Drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I had dinner in Clontarf Castle last year, seriously pricey though but food was nice. Buffet for Starter & Dessert, Table served Soup & Mains. Think it was about €180 per head, including wine and tea/coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

MarkMc wrote: »
    I had dinner in Clontarf Castle last year, seriously pricey though but food was nice. Buffet for Starter & Dessert, Table served Soup & Mains. Think it was about €180 per head, including wine and tea/coffee

That's crazy. You'd be looking at a grand for an sized average family and not even a turkey sandwich for the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

wyndham wrote: »

That's crazy. You'd be looking at a grand for an sized average family and not even a turkey sandwich for the next day.

As I said, it is bloody pricey. TBH I prefer eating at home, but we had our reasons for going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

OP

Might be out of the way for you but we were hosted (very generously!) in the Ritz Carlton Powerscourt this year.

I was a buffet but very high end stuff. Loads of tables set up for the different groups in the Ball Room and then most of the food stations were in the corridors outside. All very good in my view though not madly children focused (that said I think they will learn from this year). As well as the usual selection of Turkey, Ham, etc they had an Asian BBQ set up too which catered for those not interested in the traditional bits and bobs (tried some myself and it was top notch!)

Dont know the costs but I dont think they were anything OTT (though the Wine Selection went from one reasonable bottle to significantly more expensive alternatives)

One thing to factor into your costs are transport. Great if you have some non drinkers but if not while Taxis can be arranged easy enough they are not cheap (understandable on the day in question). We are on the South Side of Dublin so if you were central or on the North side Powerscourt might not be an option but I would recommend it based on my experience this year (few minor quibbles but staff and food were very good)

• Advertisement
Advertisement