Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dublin zoo appreciation thread.

• 28-12-2012 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Yeah so I went to the zoo today for probably the last time this year.

I'm not convinced Dublin zoo, and the hard working staff that work relentlessly to keep such a magnificent collection of animals, in some, if not, the most modern and excellently maintained enclosures in the world, survive,and prosper, could ever get enough praise from the general public, on such an excellent job they do.

Imho, Dublin Zoo is one of the best zoos in the world.

What are your experiences of Dublin zoo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I've never been in it. Been to Belfast zoo loads of times though, it's class, they have monkeys. No pandas though, which is good. I hate pandas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Expensive,

Expansive

And okay in general.

Animals all seem a bit sad though. Locking them up deffo drains their spirits and mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Where To wrote: »
    I've never been in it. Been to Belfast zoo loads of times though, it's class, they have monkeys. No pandas though, which is good. I hate pandas.

I suspect that they are perverts, myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Third oldest zoo in the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I've not yet been to Dublin Zoo but it does sound like a place to add to my must-see list though, going by your opening post Ghandee :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I hate pandas.

:confused:

:eek:

That's just impossible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Well I got to within an inch of a silver back gorilla today.

Bit of glass reflection, but you'll get the drift.

Edit, can't attach pics at moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Aw my favorite crustacean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

mikemac1 wrote: »
    :confused:

:eek:

That's just impossible
    They're an abomination, they should be allowed to become extinct naturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I love Dublin Zoo. On one trip, I saw several animals peeing, one of which was being drank by another, and a chimp getting oral sex. Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I once saw two animals (it might have been badgers or wolverines or something like that) rip apart a (I assume) dead animal for lunch.
    Was on a class trip.

Quite possibly the best trip ever.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Smidge wrote: »
    Third oldest zoo in the world!

Why do Dublin people do this? See anything in Dublin and suddenly claim it's the oldest in the world. I've even seen Dublin being claim as the oldest city in the world :confused:

Is it really the third oldest?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Why do Dublin people do this? See anything in Dublin and suddenly claim it's the oldest in the world. I've even seen Dublin being claim as the oldest city in the world :confused:

Open since the 1830s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Id kinda like to go as i have not been since i was about 3-4 and dont remember it. The thing that really holds me back is that i think it would be greatly sad to see Great animals like the Tiger, the Lion and the Snow Leopard caged in. The snow leopard is not an animal you should just pay 15 quid to see. You need to earn the right to see a snow leopard. Its too great and elusive an animal to just be boxed in behind perspex glass.

Its not my cup of tea and I dont like it at all. It would make me very sad to see this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Fota for the win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

It's wayyyyy too expensive and bit boring
    For a start the wolves are kept in a small enclosure.... Way too small. They are a pack animal
    The Penguins are never there
    Last time I was there I didn't see them because a fox was on the loose in the park and they had to put them away
    And as a falconer myself the snowy owl is in terrible condition
    As for the reptile house the biggest snake was like 5 foot
    Come on scare me ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I went to Dublin zoo in the early 80's as a kid and it was a thoroughly depressing experience. My abiding memory was of a polar bear swimming in rank green water that was littered with coke cans.

No doubt they've cleaned the place up a bit since those days, but watching animals wander around aimlessly in an alien environment is not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭LiffeyValleyB

It's seriously cruel and unnatural in my opinion. You can almost tell from the animals expressions how upset they are being locked up 24/7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Don't animals only move from area to area because of lack of food/predators in the current area?

I'm not trying to start anything but it's just something that I thought of.

Kinda like how you could say "it's cruel" to not let housecats hunt birds or rats because it's what they do.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

I never said it was the oldest in the world!!

I think its a great fact about Dublin zoo, that's all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The Penguins are never there

Thats because lads keep nicking them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Little known fact:

The lion you see at the start of every MGM movie, was born in Dublin Zoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I was there a couple of times as a child, but I find the zoo incredibly depressing, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

syklops wrote: »

Thats because lads keep nicking them.
    Look
    As I told the Garda already
    I put the bag down the penguin jumped in to eat my tuna sandwich and I walked out with it
    I didn't know it was in my bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

went back to Dublin Zoo last year for the first time since i was 6 when i was surrounded by a ferocious herd of goats,yes you read it right :P ....they wanted my tayto crisps i just threw them away and ran :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Ghandee wrote: »

Imho, Dublin Zoo is one of the best zoos in the world.

How many other zoos have you been too around the world ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

What are your experiences of Dublin zoo?

Hmmm lets see. I hate the zoo and everything about it. Been to it once when I was younger and never want to go again. I was expecting the animals to have a lot more space. I hate how the animals are just locked up and not in their natural habitat. Animal cruelty IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Crazy how the experiences of internet people differ wildly from my own. So many people here saying they went as kids and found it depressing. When I went as a kid as part of a school trip we all thought the monkey having a drag off a smoke some oul one threw in was hilarious. I was more interested in Tonka trucks than animal cruelty back then, admittedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I love Dublin Zoo. On one trip, I saw several animals peeing, one of which was being drank by another, and a chimp getting oral sex. Good times.

It was the giraffes, wasn't it???

Haven't been since the late nineties IIRC but have heard about the improvements in the last decade and was reminded again recently after catching a few episodes of the Zoo on Animal Planet. Was just saying to myself that I'll definitely visit sometime in 2013

Anyway, last time I was there the male giraffe was drinking the golden 'nectar' of the female :D After that myself and my brother went to the hippo pond. It was surrounded by a crowd 2 or 3 deep. We couldn't get to the front.....luckily!!
    The hippo backed its arse up to the edge of the pond, started to take a piss and flicked it everywhere with its tail. The front row of people in the direction of the backside of the hippo got sprayed with hippo piss. :D They all screamed in disgust while everyone else broke their sh1tes laughing. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I went to Dublin zoo in the early 80's as a kid and it was a thoroughly depressing experience. My abiding memory was of a polar bear swimming in rank green water that was littered with coke cans.

No doubt they've cleaned the place up a bit since those days, but watching animals wander around aimlessly in an alien environment is not for me.
    polar bear is gone.
    Worst zoo I've been in was in Slovakia.
    Like Dublin in the 70's only 100 times worse.
    Have an annual ticket for Dublin which is great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Does anyone remember the crocodile/alligator that they had years ago in Dublin zoo?
    It was in a tiny(for the size of the animal)tank in what is now the Aviary House(I think that's what its called now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I know zoos appear cruel but if you ever see animals in the wild all they do is sleep, such lazy bastards.

Dublin zoo is great alright though very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Some fcuker at work left a note on my desk a few years back, told me I missed a call from Rory Lyons and to call him back.

Twas Dublin zoo. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I hear they whore the animals out between the respective zoos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Lapin wrote: »

I've been to the zoo's in Sydney, Phoenix, San Diego, London, Cologne, Tampa, Dusselsdorf and Dublin

The only two Zoo's I thought were better than Dublin was Phoenix and San Diego

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

syklops wrote: »
    Little known fact:

The lion you see at the start of every MGM movie, was born in Dublin Zoo.

Yeah that's right, I think it was the first Lion they used though back in the 20's and 30s. They've changed them over the years, the Dublin lion is not the one you see onscreen today, By 1957 they'd settled on their permanent model.

Lapin wrote: »

Belfast, Edinburgh, New York, London, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, the late Steve Irwins Australia zoo, I've been to a zoo/wildlife park in Portugal which name escapes me now,

Tbh, one of the more depressing ones on that list was the NY one ohm central park.

Here's that close-up of the gorilla.

Heres that gorilla pic btw.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/4897/gorillaol.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I find the zoo to be a bit boring, not really my cup of tea. Although I went to the zoo in the bronx in new york and I quite enjoyed it, maybe cos the weather was so nice and it's better than dublin zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

I haven't been to the zoo since I was about 9...I would love to bring my son to see it even though I do feel sorry for the caged animals as well. It's going to be expensive with accomodation and it's confusing trying to work out how to get around from A to B without the car up there.

I had fair hair as a child and I think a llama mistook my hair for straw and I can remember it had a good nibble on my hair through the fence of the enclosure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I haven't been in a long time but am I right in saying that a lot of the enclosures have been expanded, the lions and tigers for instance I hear now have a decent area to roam.

I'm no animal psychologist but I imagine most of the creatures are happy, they've a good standard of living and I've always heard Dublin zookeepers go above and beyond in the love and care they show to all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Went there as a kid, I want to go again
    But being in your mid-twenties, friends dont care for zoo's :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Shur With all those nature channels, we hardly need Zoos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Well I got to within an inch of a silver back gorilla today.

Bit of glass reflection, but you'll get the drift.

Edit, can't attach pics at moment.

Was that you in Rotterdam :pac::pac::pac:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokito_%28gorilla%29
    On May 18, 2007, Bokito jumped over the ditch that separated his Rotterdam enclosure from the public and violently attacked a woman, dragging her around for tens of metres and inflicting bone fractures as well as more than a hundred bite wounds. He subsequently entered the nearby restaurant, causing panic among the visitors. During this encounter, three more people were injured as a result of the panic. Bokito was eventually sedated with the help of a tranquilizer gun and placed back in his cage.

The woman who was attacked had been a regular visitor to the great apes' enclosure, visiting an average of 4 times per week. She had a habit of touching the glass that separated her from the gorillas, while making eye contact with Bokito and smiling at him, a practice that is discouraged by primatologists, as apes are likely to interpret human smiling as a form of aggressive display. Zoo employees had previously warned her against doing this, but she continued, claiming a special bond with him: in an interview with De Telegraaf she said, "If I laugh at him, he laughs back".[1]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Feckin ape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Meerkats rule. Simples.

Was that you in Rotterdam :pac::pac::pac:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokito_%28gorilla%29

The silver back in Dublin zoo can regularly be seen at the viewing glass, looking at the zoos visitors.

He was sat there yesterday, starting right back at me, made me wonder who was viewing whom exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I watched the Dublin Zoo Christmas Special on RTE from last year or maybe the year before, it was unbelievable to see the amount of care, dedication and knowledge of the zookeepers. This was during the really heavy snow two years ago, and they really cared for the animals and wanted the best for them.

I think anyone who is basing their view of Dublin Zoo on their trips there from the 80s needs to take another visit there- huge amounts or work have been done in the recent past to improve conditions for the animals- a number of whom whose species probably depend on zoos nowadays for survival.

I like Fota as well, but have to say Dublin Zoo is better. I haven't been to that many zoos around the world but I've been to a few in Australia and would have enjoyed both Fota and Dublin Zoo more.

I do generally think that Irish people have a real grá for animals (perhaps dating back to connections with farms and the land etc.) so it's good to see we have zoos and wildlife parks with such high standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

The silver back in Dublin zoo can regularly be seen at the viewing glass, looking at the zoos visitors.

He was sat there yesterday, starting right back at me, made me wonder who was viewing whom exactly.

Your not supposed to stare at a Silverback Gorilla, it pisses them right off.
    If the glass wasn't in the way he'd rip your head off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Dublin Zoo is much better than Belfast Zoo. It's bigger, more room for the animals, 'happier' looking animals, no big hills to climb, etc. I've been to Belfast a few times but since going to Dublin Zoo, I wouldn't go back to Belfast TBH.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Advertisement
Advertisement