Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router recommendations

• 28-12-2012 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi, I'm about to purchase a new wireless router with DSL modem. Do you have any recommendations?

I have a Netgear DG834GT since 2004, despite several different firmware versions it does not give reliable Wi-Fi or ADSL synch performance. I have to reboot the router more than once a day to get devices connected.

I have the following Internet devices, 2x iPhones, iPad, 2 x iPod Touch, Apple TV, Wii, 2 x Android phones, 3 x laptops all using Wi-Fi and two PCs and printer using Ethernet.

I've been looking at the following:
    Draytek Vigor 2830NP - €269.73 from Dabs
    Netgear DGND3700 - €129 from Pixmania

Bit of a difference in price, don't want to pay more than is needed.
    I want a router with gigabit Ethernet and dual band WLAN.

Do you have any experience using one of these WLAN routers/modems? Can you recommend either or perhaps something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭PJtharsaile

The Netgear DG834G v2 was and is a popular router among those who tweak DSL parameters to optimize circuit stability and performance. It has an important advantage: it can be placed in true bridge mode easily, passing the external IP addresses directly to the WAN port of a router behind it. Separating the modem and the router allows you to adjust the parameters that matter in a more flexible way. I started using the DG834G v2 as a modem (wireless disabled) when I needed a gigabit switch built in and none available were ADSL2 with Annex M compatible. You can find some info on bethere.co.uk in the forums and probably elsewhere.

The Asus RT-AC66U is what I'd look at if freed from the need to buy an ADSL box. An ability to run Tomato firmware is mandatory for me; this is not quite there yet but it's well in hand. An ability to run DD-WRT, OpenWRT or Tomato ensures that you can gain some useful updates at no cost. www.smallnetbuilder.com is not a bad place to start.

Something I have no experience with but which has crossed the radar lately and looks interesting in terms of serious wi-fi coverage is ubiquity unifi gear: http://www.ubnt.com/unifi.

I'm currently on a 3 network 3G link and for several months now I have been having to reboot the router several times a day. I replaced the router with a new, later, one, and it made little or no difference.

Advertisement