Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on new marine tank

Options
  • 28-12-2012 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

As stated above, I want to buy a new Marine tank.
    I have little experience with Marine, so hence the thread.
    I have a 450L Rio with SA cichlids, a 190L Trigon with Malawi's, a 98L Marine tank with a clean up crew and a couple of clowns (only 3 months old), and a 30,000L Garden Koi / Karp Pond

I have 20 years experience in fish keeping, but all fresh / cold water.

I have just cleared space for a new project (missus not happy yet but still working on that)

However I was in Seahorse yet again today and showed her the white marine tank on the ground floor display room, and she fell in love it it..........

Then I spotted its bigger brother upstairs in black in 400L which the room is only being extended at the moment.

Did all the measurements and it will fit.

The kit includes Sump, Skimmer, pumps, filtration media, heater, T5 lighting set.

What I need to know is, will there be anything else I need to run a marine aquarium? Will I spend 1600euro and realised that I need to drop another €1000?
    I fully understand the cost of the live rock and water to cycle.
    Fish, coral I have budgeted for outside the cost of the tank but is there anything missing from this project that I need for a nice 400L marine tank?
    I tried to chat to the lads today but they were flat out so I left.
    I plan on going back at 10am in the morning...

I dont exactly have 1600euro to blow but can anyone find anything better for the price?

http://www.seahorseaquariums.com/Aqua-One-AquaReef-400//5408

Thanks in advance........

Cian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

If I had the money to spare I would, let us know how you got on, then again im running 3 tanks at the moment, they have a special on a smaller starter marine setup 40*40*40 for only €249.99, looks gorg :pac:

http://www.seahorseaquariums.com/Aquanano-40-Tropical-Starter//6504

aquaone-aquaNano.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

bogman wrote: »
    If I had the money to spare I would, let us know how you got on, then again im running 3 tanks at the moment, they have a special on a smaller starter marine setup 40*40*40 for only €249.99, looks gorg :pac:

aquaone-aquaNano.jpg

That's not a marine setup and doesn't come with any of the stuff needed for a marine setup sure sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

buzz wrote: »
    What I need to know is, will there be anything else I need to run a marine aquarium? Will I spend 1600euro and realised that I need to drop another €1000?
    I fully understand the cost of the live rock and water to cycle.
    Fish, coral I have budgeted for outside the cost of the tank but is there anything missing from this project that I need for a nice 400L marine tank?
    I tried to chat to the lads today but they were flat out so I left.
    I plan on going back at 10am in the morning...

I dont exactly have 1600euro to blow but can anyone find anything better for the price?

http://www.seahorseaquariums.com/Aqua-One-AquaReef-400//5408

Thanks in advance........

Cian

That will do you sure. The only things you will need to buy will be a proper test kit and salinity tester. You will need sand and salt as well. You don't need lots of live rock starting off, you can get sea rock that isn't live and put it in to start. You will of course need some when you start adding in coral but I always use a mix to save a few bob.

One thing to note, you won't be adding in any fish for a week at least. You want your tank to level off before you add anything at all. If you really must throw something in you could get something like a damsel fish or two, they are inexpensive and quite hardy, but I personally leave it open for a couple weeks while I get the levels sorted, get the protein skimmer operating the way I want, and get the sump/filters running properly.

As far as getting up and going with that setup for the most part all of the major bits are there. You will be upgrading, that's part of the game sure, and you can always add in new bits later if you find you want them, but the reality is you will have everything you need there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

I think those Aqua One tanks represent very poor value for the components you get with them. You could set up a similar tank with far better equipment for the same money. If you want to buy a plug in and play set up go for the new Red Sea Max aquarium.

I would recommend putting in as much live rock as you can afford at the beginning. I certainly wouldn't be putting any fish in for the first 3 weeks minimum, the longer you can hold off the better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

aquaone-aquaNano.jpg

That's tropical, not marine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

CptSternn wrote: »
    That's not a marine setup

http://www.seahorseaquariums.com/Aquanano-40-Marine-Starter//5473
    Aquanano 40 Marine Starter

€249.99

My link error sorry, this is the one I meant to show

• Registered Users Posts: 10 phea2

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    I think those Aqua One tanks represent very poor value for the components you get with them. You could set up a similar tank with far better equipment for the same money.

Any specific idea in mind, i was going to buy the exact same tank from seahorse, thought it was a good deal since it comes with live rock, sand, fish, cleaning crew and equipment. i've been reading reviews on internet about the tank and a lot of people got rid of the light unit, added skimmer, and wavemaker. That's where i started to have second thought, the idea was to get a tank for 250euro with everything included and not having to buy anything else apart from two more fish and some anemone. but if i'll have to upgrade the lights, add skimmer, and wavemaker. would it really be better to just start from scratch? but then you wont have a nice looking tank with everything hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

CptSternn wrote: »
    That will do you sure. The only things you will need to buy will be a proper test kit and salinity tester. You will need sand and salt as well. You don't need lots of live rock starting off, you can get sea rock that isn't live and put it in to start. You will of course need some when you start adding in coral but I always use a mix to save a few bob.

One thing to note, you won't be adding in any fish for a week at least. You want your tank to level off before you add anything at all. If you really must throw something in you could get something like a damsel fish or two, they are inexpensive and quite hardy, but I personally leave it open for a couple weeks while I get the levels sorted, get the protein skimmer operating the way I want, and get the sump/filters running properly.

Thanks for that mate. I have a marine test kit from my tiny marine tank and refractometer I will pick up. I will buy the live sand and salt water directly from Seahorse when I am setting tank up and I have no plans to introduce fish for a good few weeks / months as from what I have read, longer and more patient you are, the better.

When you say put sea rock in, does that not produce nitrates for weeks until settled? Or does live rock anyway?

@ Mr Whirley, Thats one thing I was worried about. I dont have experience with Skimmers so I wasnt sure of the brand that comes with the package so valued that point. I did price a good few tanks for around the €999 mark for a 400/500 but comes with nothing but the cabinet. Are those red sea max not mad money??

Also, what is the recommended weight in live rock per Litlre of water in the tank? If the tank is 400L, what will I need?
    I had planned to set it up fully with live rock sand and purchased water and leave it running for 6 weeks before I add anything, is this okay?

@ Phea2 - we are talking about a different tank mate.. This comes with all equiptment but no rock fish or water. PLus its €1599, not 250euro..

• Registered Users Posts: 10 phea2

aquaone-aquaNano.jpg

I was on about this tank

Advertisement