Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AppleGreen Motor Fuels Sale

Options
  • 28-12-2012 1:57am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

AppleGreen are offering an extra reduction of €0.02/ litre on top of their already low fuel prices if you present your loyalty card when paying your bill. I bought diesel in AppleGreen Urlingford tonight and paid €1.478 / litre including the extra saving. I got an email yesterday (regular customer for the last 5 years) but I can't yet see the deal on their web-site.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Sooner dip me knob in their fuel than buy it off them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Why?

Cause he's kinky...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Meant to post about this yesterday, I got petrol for 156.8 in clonsilla including the saving. Can't go wrong at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭dodzy

Pray tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

I think lots of people say they dont get as long out of Applegreen fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 51,723 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

On the M1 they have two stations with two different prices, why?

mathepac wrote: »
    AppleGreen are offering an extra reduction of €0.02/ litre on top of their already low fuel prices if you present your loyalty card when paying your bill. I bought diesel in AppleGreen Urlingford tonight and paid €1.478 / litre including the extra saving. I got an email yesterday (regular customer for the last 5 years) but I can't yet see the deal on their web-site.

My local applegreen is on the n7 just after city west.

Their 'already low fuel price' is always set to match the nearby esso & topaz (tho since topaz got the truck stop they have started charging about 1c more per litre cos they can get away with it)

Twice I've filled there and twice the money counter started spinning long before the diesel made an appearance

And the staff were dicks there (about 3 -4 years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

My local applegreen is on the n7 just after city west.

Their 'already low fuel price' is always set to match the nearby esso & topaz (tho since topaz got the truck stop they have started charging about 1c more per litre cos they can get away with it)

Twice I've filled there and twice the money counter started spinning long before the diesel made an appearance

And the staff were dicks there (about 3 -4 years ago)

What a let down. I was expecting something serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭gipi

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Meant to post about this yesterday, I got petrol for 156.8 in clonsilla including the saving. Can't go wrong at that price.

Had you headed a bit further, there are a number of stations in the ashbourne area selling petrol for 153.9 (one's an AppleGreen so you could knock 2c off that with your saving too!).

• Advertisement

What a let down. I was expecting something serious.

About it being a good disinfectant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I got that earlier.. Was quite delighted! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭cython

gipi wrote: »
    Had you headed a bit further, there are a number of stations in the ashbourne area selling petrol for 153.9 (one's an AppleGreen so you could knock 2c off that with your saving too!).

And unless you're actually going in that direction anyway, there's a good chance you'll spend as much getting there as you would "save" on the fuel bill...

About it being a good disinfectant?

I use Applegreen petrol in three cars (two are older and a bit octane fussy) with no issues.

I'll use this card for sure. 10% of screen wash and polish etc. too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I got that earlier.. Was quite delighted! :)
    Every little helps as Tescos are fond of saying.

The accusations and allegations that AppleGreen fuels are less than good puzzle me. I've been a regular customer for 5 years now and I've not noticed any problems with any of our cars. In Ireland I use AppleGreen and specific Esso stations exclusively for fuel and none of the cars broke down or complained. Lift pumps, diesel filters, injectors and injector pumps all the finest, even my Skoda with the 1.9 PD engine is flying at 106,000 miles and bad fuel can break one of those for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭missjm

I think lots of people say they dont get as long out of Applegreen fuel

Interesting. I have to say I hadn't noticed until recently and do avoid one particular service station on the Kildare border as I find I definitely get less mileage when I use them. I have no idea how this can happen when I put the same amount in at the same price as another service station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I use applegreen mostly as it is my nearest station (and usually the cheapest) I do not think I get less mileage from applegreen. In fact if I ever fill at a local Texaco instead I think that I get less mileage out of it...(Although I couldn't say for sure!)
    Hadn't heard about this offer so thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Can you pick up a loyalty card in store? They have just opened up a station in tralee that is on my route to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭missjm

siblers wrote: »
    Can you pick up a loyalty card in store? They have just opened up a station in tralee that is on my route to college.
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

On the M1 they have two stations with two different prices, why?

Because a lot of people don't know there's a second station so close so the first one hikes their price a bit

The second one is lower to attract the regulars from the area.

They're in direct competition with each other for sales figures.

The second one does worse afaik

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »

They have temporary cards on the counter that you can use immediately, then use the number on it to register for the plastic job.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

My girlfriend works in AG. I believe sometimes it stems from stupid ignorant people who cant believe they can sell it cheaper than paddy the shopkeeper in the road.

The loyalty cards are excellent value i received a voucher for €15 a free car wash and free hot beverage and treat. They also offer some excellent value with certain items in the shop.

Now im not all in favour here they treat there staff like ****. I seen someone complain about staff earlier.

- no sick benefit/extreme lack of sick cover if you are sick

- christmas bonus €20 applegreen voucher

- staff had to work christmas day for double time

- no extra pay on sunday

- no overtime

- expected to work to 11pm and be in again at 7am. Im sure this could mean 6 hours sleep for some

- the gas thing is they actually test staff in customer relations on a regular basis

- on another more personal situation my girlfriend has performed very well in some of these tests. Yet she has 0 chance of any career progression for a long time in that job.

I just feel i should outline that for those that do feel aggrieved by the staff. Im pretty certain that 80% of the staff in the shop she works will do there best for the customers even considering having working conditions most of us wont have to experience.

I shall state i can understand the business motives behind the above as i have previously managed a min wage workforce. I also have a background in finance. I just feel very strongly about the issue. They cant expect to run a big brand and get away with a corner shop mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

- no extra pay on sunday
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/working_week.html#lcc038
    If you do Sunday work your entitlement to extra pay may be agreed between you and your employer. Under the Organisation of Working Time Act, if there is no agreement about your pay, your employer must give you one or more of the following for Sunday working:

A reasonable allowance
    A reasonable pay increase
    Reasonable paid time off work

What is reasonable depends on all the circumstances. It is a matter for negotiation between you and your employer and, where applicable, your trade union. Some guidance may be obtained by referring, where possible, to an agreement applying to comparable employees elsewhere in similar employment.
    - expected to work to 11pm and be in again at 7am. Im sure this could mean 6 hours sleep for some
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/rest_periods_and_breaks.html#l1f4da
    Rest periods

The definition of a rest period is any time that is not working time. The rest periods set out in the Act are as follows:

(a) You are entitled to 11 consecutive hours rest in any period of 24 hours. In addition you should get 24 consecutive hours rest in any period of 7 days and this should normally follow on from one of the 11-hour rest periods already mentioned, or

(b) As an alternative your employer can give you two 24-hour rest periods in the week that follows one in which you did not get the entitlement described in (a) above.

Unless your contract provides otherwise your 24-hour rest period referred to above should include a Sunday.

I believe they got an agreement of time an 1/20th this was announced to them in the last week. I have researched it in the past but the confusion lay in is a garage like that "retail".

I believe that if it is time and 1/20th that it is an insult i believe it works out at €3 extra a day.

This to me insults the workers intelligence and lack of a trade union.

Now i will state that i cant confirm the above yet until she is payed as she doesnt like asking these things. Not that her direct manager would have an issue with explaining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭emo72

That's a good enough reason to boycott them. Don't care if they are cheaper.

Probably other garages the same. Let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

I stopped using them when they stopped providing paper and disposable gloves at the diesel pumps. The pump nozzles seem to always be covered in diesel, nothing worse than stink of diesel fuel in the car.

I used to do a lot of motorway driving and found I was using 5.1l/100km with Applegreen and 4.9//100km with Topaz fuel, obviously tried to stick with Topaz. Haven't been doing similar type journeys over last 2 years so cannot compare now. Current weekly average varies between 4.8/100km to 5.4l/100km.

emo72 wrote: »
    That's a good enough reason to boycott them. Don't care if they are cheaper.

Probably other garages the same. Let me know.

I have a thread going in work and jobs. It seems that AG may not even be the worst and that this treatment of staff seems to be the case all over.

Now i actually take back the statement about having to work 11pm then 7am. This is possibly down to helping the person by them avoiding to late night shifts. My GF has never asked either not to be made do this and in fairness she has no issues with the manager who does an excellent job to look after staff and customers alike.

For me the issues lie in the upper management treatment. Just worth appreciating the person behind the counter if they do greet you with a smile. I can appreciate the small corner shops of this world not been able to provide staff with all the perks. The likes of AG,Topaz and Texaco do it because they can get away with it.

I mean im not sure if anyone boycotting it does any good im pretty sure they are all the same. I for one use the shop at the end of the day she earns a wage from the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Good to check out pumps.ie before you buy. Diesel is about 148-149 now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Elessar

I found I've gotten less mileage to a full tank using Applegreen petrol than any other brand. So I stay away. I've done my own testing on mpg at all the major brands and Topaz came out on top for me for maximum mileage. I've lost my notes but IIRC the difference between AG and Topaz was about 30-40km per tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I've never had a problem with Applegreen fuel, I don't get good mileage from Topaz fuel though.

Advertisement