Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Sydney

Options
  • 28-12-2012 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I'm currently in Aus but planning on moving down to sydney mid Jan. I know its not the best time of year to be job hunting but hopefully I'll get something quickly enough.

I was wonder whats the best way to find somewhere to live? I would be looking at renting a room or going into a house share. Obloviously i've looked at gumtree but are there any other places I should be looking.

I've been told eastern subs randwick or coogee would be a good place to live, thoughts? Also can I expect having a hard time finding somewhere to live?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Hey mate.

Domain house share

Real Estate house share

You should find something there. It really depends on where you will be working and if you want a beach life. Coogee is nice but is a fair commute (45 mins) to the CBD and worse again if you end up working in North Sydney or further. Randwick is a little bit out of the way too. Some nice areas close to city are Glebe or Pyrmont. Been living in Pyrmont for a while now and love the place.

What line of work are you in?.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭menuisier

Hey Feelgood,

Thanks for those sites just what I was looking for.

I work in IT Helpdesk and support (If anyone has any info about work that would be great too) alot of jobs advertised seem to be in CBD and north sydney and I really dont want some horrible commiute everyday so maybe coggee area wouldnt be the best for me since theres no train line and while I like the beach it not important enough for me to choose where i live.

I was told Glebe is a good spot too and i'll look into Pyrmont. What is it you like about the place and is it expensive?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Sent you a PM regarding work. Maybe able to help.

Pyrmont is very clean, close to the city, parks, Darling harbour, fish markets, Coles and IGA. There are also a lot of good pubs and restaurants dotted around the place. Its around a 15 minute walk to the CBD or Town hall station. The area is full of professional singles/couples. You can expect to pay around $240 - $300 for a room.

Glebe is stone throw from Pyrmont pretty much with the same benefits, except with no train line. You might pick up a room slightly cheaper in Glebe than Pyrmont, maybe $220+?.

You will get cheaper the further out you move, but then you have to take into account the cost of commuting. A bicycle is a worthwhile investment!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Admit it's been years since i lived there but....

Hostel notice boards for rooms to rent. Also internet cafe notice boards or supermarket notice boards.

As for work - maybe register with as many agencies as possible - better to have 3 or 4 offers of work than looking through papers/websites all the time.

Best of luck - it really is a great city to live and work in.

Thanks for your help guys

Pyrmont sounds nice, I'll be looking more into that.

Are there any other areas you might suggest for me to include in my search nothing too far out or expensive also places I might want to avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CastlebarMan

Go to the Junction my man...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ben10afc

im in randwick, 10 mins to cbd and 5 mins to coogee, cant beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I second Randwick, great spot. Ten minutes bus from town, near the beaches too, I'm paying $160 a week all in here for a room in a flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Another vote for Randwick here. Great little area. Could be a bit of a bitch commuting depending on where you end up working though I guess. Im working out around the Liverpool area at the moment and its about a 45min drive for me which I dont mind too much as most of it is on the M5. Currently thinking of moving out of the house Im in but I'll be looking for another place around the Randwick area as I quite like it here!!

If I was working in north sydney would I be silly looking to live in areas like randwick or coogee? As a lot of IT jobs seem to be based in north sydney.

I dont want a monster commute every day but I dont want to live in some boring area that might be difficult meeting people.

Does randwick have a train line?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Randwick does not have a train line, if you planned your journey right (express bus) you could be there in 45mins
    Coogee -> North sydney example

have a look here at trains
    http://www.cityrail.info/
    and www.131500.com.au will give you a very good idea of commute times

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

hey hussey ,

do you know much about strathfield ?
    im hittin there in 3 weeks !! is it far from centre of the city ? is there a train or bus fairly close ?

cheers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ifumust82

NIALL D wrote: »
    hey hussey ,

do you know much about strathfield ?
    im hittin there in 3 weeks !! is it far from centre of the city ? is there a train or bus fairly close ?

cheers ;)

Strathfeild has a fairly major station so trains there are quiet frequent. I'd say it takes about 15-20 mins to the city.
    A lot of Asain folks live there particularly Koreans so you'll find a lot of the restaurants cater to their tastes. That being said try out Korean BBQ....it's fantastic food!

ifumust82 wrote: »
    Strathfeild has a fairly major station so trains there are quiet frequent. I'd say it takes about 15-20 mins to the city.
    A lot of Asain folks live there particularly Koreans so you'll find a lot of the restaurants cater to their tastes. That being said try out Korean BBQ....it's fantastic food!

cheers , o ill be sure to give them a try !!
    is there many pubs in the area , i know its probably quiet enough there , but is there any bit of night life action ?

also any soccer or gaa local to there do you know ?

ta :)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Strathfield has 2 main pubs- Whelans and Cookies. Whelans is where alot of the Irish construction lads go after work to drink. V cheap beer in it! Cookies can be lively enough on occasions. Theres also the Ashfield Hotel down the road, where again alot of Irish construction lads drink after work! Whelans and the Ashfield are good places to go if you're looking for work in construction.

Theres a good train station in Strathfield so you can be into the city in 20 mins if you want livelier nightlife action

Think the main GAA teams are based in the Bondi area.

statina wrote: »
    Strathfield has 2 main pubs- Whelans and Cookies. Whelans is where alot of the Irish construction lads go after work to drink. V cheap beer in it! Cookies can be lively enough on occasions. Theres also the Ashfield Hotel down the road, where again alot of Irish construction lads drink after work! Whelans and the Ashfield are good places to go if you're looking for work in construction.

Theres a good train station in Strathfield so you can be into the city in 20 mins if you want livelier nightlife action

Think the main GAA teams are based in the Bondi area.

cool cool , good info there , thanks . landing in 3 weeks so i must check them out so !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 natter85

menuisier wrote: »
    If I was working in north sydney would I be silly looking to live in areas like randwick or coogee? As a lot of IT jobs seem to be based in north sydney.

I live in Randwick and commute to North Sydney every day and the commute doesn't phase me at all. Express bus into the city and train from Wynyard gets me there in 45 mins usually (around 35 this week since the schools are off). Usually come home via Central, depending on traffic that can be closer to an hour. Commutes of over 1hr+ are pretty common around Sydney.

Randwick is a brilliant place to live - lots of restaurants, supermarkets, gyms, a cute little cinema. While it doesn't have a train line it has lots of bus routes. 10 mins from the beach, 10 mins from Centennial Park, city is really accessible. Ticks all the boxes for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

menuisier wrote: »

I dont want a monster commute every day but I dont want to live in some boring area that might be difficult meeting people.

Does randwick have a train line?

thanks

If I was working in North Sydney I would try and live around Milsons Point, Mcmahons point, Kiribbilli. All are walking distance to North Sydney and have good enough transport options especially Milsons Point which is just 1 stop from North sydney, 1 stop from city centre, bus routes and also the option of the ferry which is really handy. I live in Milsons Point and highly recommend it, loads of little cafes and some really good restaurants are in Kirribilli which is just is not even a 5 min walk. If you are into the beach then it is not so great as it takes about an hour to go to either Manly or Bondi.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Feelgood wrote: »
    Sent you a PM regarding work. Maybe able to help.

Could you send me the same PM please? :-)

Arriving in a month or so, will be looking for some IT work (test/automation).

Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement