Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crazy Sales People...

• 28-12-2012 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

No, not the guys that go door to door, I'm talking about people who go nuts at the xmas sales :D

I heard Next in the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre opened its doors at 6 am on Stephens's Day and people were lining up waiting from 4 am for it to open, who are these people?

I'd imagine maybe 20% off some items? I don't get why you would ruin your xmas holidays by going to bed early on xmas day so you could get up stephens day in the early hours of the morning to get a small discount.

Now I could be wrong about the discount but even at half price i couldn't be bothered, i'd actually pay 50% more so i could enjoy my xmas. I have looked around at the xmas sales in previous years but i never seen huge value anywhere.

Anybody ever line up or camp out over the xmas to avail of the sales? Was it worth it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

davet82 wrote: »
    No, not the guys that go door to door, I'm talking about people who go nuts at the xmas sales :D

I heard Next in the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre opened its doors at 6 am on Stephens's Day and people were lining up waiting from 4 am for it to open, who are these people?

I'd imagine maybe 20% off some items? I don't get why you would ruin your xmas holidays by going to bed early on xmas day so you could get up stephens day in the early hours of the morning to get a small discount.

Now I could be wrong about the discount but even at half price i couldn't be bothered, i'd actually pay 50% more so i could enjoy my xmas. I have looked around at the xmas sales in previous years but i never seen huge value anywhere.

Anybody ever line up or camp out over the xmas to avail of the sales? Was it worth it?

Why go to bed, just stay up :-)

And 20% of a 500 euro item is a days work. Plus, some people get a kick out of it. Same people who queued up at mid night to get the harry potter books.

But, no, i've never queued up for a sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Getting up at 4am to buy stuff Next can't sell for the other 364 days of the year, no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's the staff I feel sorry for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've seen video footage of stores on Black Friday in the States, it looks like absolute savagery with people getting trampled when the doors open. I think what they do is put a certain number of high end items on sale at insane below cost prices. This creates hysteria among the crowds with people trying to be first to the limited special offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I thought the next sale was 50% off

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Even if the stuff was free I wouldn't get up at that hour to contend with crazy shopper hordes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I thought the next sale was 50% off

I'd day you could put selected items at the end of that sentence but in very small print.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Went one year to have a gander and tbh there was nothing on the racks but absolute crap that you walk right by any other day of the year. But because it has a tag on it with 50% off people think they 'saved a fortune'

saved a fortune on what exactly!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

I've seen video footage of stores on Black Friday in the States, it looks like absolute savagery with people getting trampled when the doors open.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

A bit less extreme but I got up for the River Island sale in Waterford. Opened at 8, I was there at quarter past 8 and the place was already packed, upstairs and downstairs.

I thought it was worth it though. I picked up some nice stuff for 80 Euro that otherwise would have costed 170 Euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I decided to go to town and check the sales last year on Stephen's Day.... :eek: Never again. It was as bad, packed and crazy as HMV on Christmas Eve... Madness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

I popped out on the 27th to a shopping centre for 9a.m. Got a game and a few bits and bobs, wandered off an hour later. It was actually not too bad and I HATE shopping!

The girl in new look got half way to packing a bag before she shouted "I'm going to throw up" and ran away.

She was probably hungover. Or it was my gigantic horrible head!

A bit less extreme but I got up for the River Island sale in Waterford. Opened at 8, I was there at quarter past 8 and the place was already packed, upstairs and downstairs.

I thought it was worth it though. I picked up some nice stuff for 80 Euro that otherwise would have costed 170 Euro.

If it's what you wanted then fair play to ye, that's a good saving - What some people don't seem to realise is that a bargain is only a bargain if it's something you want in the first place. If you offer me a ton of **** at half price I'm not going to buy it as I don't need it. Some people though only see the 'half price' and wade in. In reality it's cost you money because you don't want it or need it in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

I've seen video footage of stores on Black Friday in the States, it looks like absolute savagery with people getting trampled when the doors open. I think what they do is put a certain number of high end items on sale at insane below cost prices. This creates hysteria among the crowds with people trying to be first to the limited special offers.

nah whats normally done 2 days before black friday is that the insanely low priced items, had thier prices hiked about 50-60%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It's a frightening disease of the mind and will be appearing in the next version of Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of frightening Diseases of the Mind.

Seriously though, you could waste a fortune buying shit you never needed because you felt it was too good a bargain to pass up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I go to Next most weekends and get 100% off clothing and stuff there. Foil lined bag and the five fingered discount card is all you need.

Kids the above is a pack of lies. Shoplifting is a criminal offence and hurts business. Don't be a cruel kid, be a cool kid. Oh yeah, don't do drugs either.... or badgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

kneemos wrote: »

As a former retail worker I won't shop on xmas eve, stephens day or the 27th, support my former retail monkey brethren by not encouraging ludicrous opening times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Nope, never felt the need to get up from my cosy bed at 6am just to join a freezing line full of annoying people giggling about getting 20% off some sofa or clothes etc, if I wanted it that bad I would just save for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

gramar wrote: »

If it's what you wanted then fair play to ye, that's a good saving - What some people don't seem to realise is that a bargain is only a bargain if it's something you want in the first place. If you offer me a ton of **** at half price I'm not going to buy it as I don't need it. Some people though only see the 'half price' and wade in. In reality it's cost you money because you don't want it or need it in the first place.

Ye good point. I'd gone in there a few days before, earmarked a few items and got in there early enough to pick them up before they were gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

2 women came to blows in Topshop in Galway on the 26th, nutjobs the lot of them.

• Advertisement

There should be a law against advertising a sale unless there's at least 40% off everything.It's really annoying walking into a store and all they have is tat they couldn't sell during the year at a reduced price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Misses and me were in in cork for some shopping. It was like we expected: 2-3 items with 50-70% off, which you would not even take if it would be a freeby. Obviously each shop got huge sale signs too, just invade we will miss them.
    Anything that is at least half decent is still same price or even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Why? Why are retail staff so precious?

Would you also support a complete ban on alcohol consumption between Dec 24 and Jan 2 to ease the burden on overstretched Emergency Services?

I would, because that's the people I feel sorry for.

Plazaman wrote: »
    I go to Next most weekends and get 100% off clothing and stuff there. Foil lined bag and the five fingered discount card is all you need.

Kids the above is a pack of lies. Shoplifting is a criminal offence and hurts business. Don't be a cruel kid, be a cool kid. Oh yeah, don't do drugs either.... or badgers.

Or badgers?? what the fawk is that about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Cannot do the sales myself. Like a flock of headless sheep.

Where To wrote: »
    Why? Why are retail staff so precious?

Would you also support a complete ban on alcohol consumption between Dec 24 and Jan 2 to ease the burden on overstretched Emergency Services?

I would, because that's the people I feel sorry for.

Shop staff aren't providing an essential service.

Shop staff aren't providing an essential service.
    Neither are pubs and off licences.

So would you support a ban?

Where To wrote: »
    Neither are pubs and off licences.

So would you support a ban?

They're not open at six in morning.I don't have a problem with shops opening Stephens day it's retail you expect to be busy,opening at ungodly hours ruins both days.

They're not open at six in morning.I don't have a problem with shops opening Stephens day it's retail you expect to be busy,opening at ungodly hours ruins both days.
    'Tis akin to slavery, so 'tis Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

I went into currys in liffey valley yesterday. Packed with confused looking parents with mouthy kids goin I want that etc.

Attenborough could have made a great documentary Watching the sales people stalking the clueles s parents, yes ... a celeron processor IS the best.

They had nothing on sale, the prices were the same at the end of november.

I went to a next sale once during the afternoon, it was just wimmin taking an item off the rack, looking at it for 1 second, then throwing it on the floor. The shop was in bits

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

I work at a Next in the UK. On the 26th at 6am there was a huge line, it was a bit crazy. More than half of them seemed to be Muslims though so I guess with them not celebrating Christmas and having a free day off it wasn't that much trouble for them to just get up early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I use to work in a supermarket and they had a 50% off sale and two lads ended up boxing the heads off each other for a tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I honestly don't get why people feel the need to get up at 4am to go shopping on Stephen's Day - everyone's been shopping for weeks already at that point! I guess if there was something I'd been looking for for ages significantly reduced, then maybe I'd consider it; but even then, I like that there are (or used to be, anyway) two days a year that almost everyone is off to relax, meet family/friends and just take some time out.

And I also feel sorry for retail staff who are in early on Stephen's Day - having to be in work for 5am the next day would completely ruin Christmas Day and stops some people from being able to visit family for Christmas. Not to mention that there's no public transport that early in the day, and in the current state of the economy, you can't refuse to work shifts like that.
    (Yes, I do understand that the Emergency Services also do that - no reason we can't feel sorry for both!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

I went online at midnight when the sales switched over stephens day with a glass of wine, chatting to the family, spent 5 mins, bought a thing or two. Logged off. resumed christmas merriment and slept in for stephens morn, whilst the pour souls were lining up at the early hours. Online shopping people. Its the future. :D:D:D:D

Worked St Stephens day last year and it was mental. In early and the christmas friendly customers long gone, it was angry irritable creatures approaching the till. Women actually physically fighting over stuff. Nightmare stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

davet82 wrote: »

these ppl most not have heard of a site called ebay?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Froyo

krudler wrote: »
    As a former retail worker I won't shop on xmas eve, stephens day or the 27th, support my former retail monkey brethren by not encouraging ludicrous opening times

Well, if I need something, I'm going to the shops for it and I'll be glad they're open.

Otherwise I just avoid the bargain hunters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

One of my Facebook "friends" wrote on Xmas night about heading to bed early as she was getting up at 3:30am to go to the Next sale. I just felt it was so sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I used to work in a department store and during a sale there was about 20% off a rather expensive high end electric wine bottle opener (crazy, I know).

So this women brings the display model to the counter and asks me what it is. When I told her she said she rarely drinks wine but she'll buy it because there's 20% off and it's "a bargain". She ended up paying over 100 euro for something she didn't even know existed 10 seconds ago and will probably never use it all because she thought she was getting a good deal.

Obviously logic was nowhere to be seen that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

ElleEm wrote: »
    One of my Facebook "friends" wrote on Xmas night about heading to bed early as she was getting up at 3:30am to go to the Next sale. I just felt it was so sad.
    don't know why ppl post there plans on Facebook too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I went shopping on the 26th, in dundrum. I needed to get stuff so wasn't going for bargains. Some people couldn't walk with the amount of bags they had!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

so rob house at 3:45am :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

*rolls eyes*
    Americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Fight fight fight fight! :pac:

Advertisement