Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet internet ---> mobile

Options
  • 28-12-2012 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Feel free to ridicule if wrong section or repeat thread (tried a search and google)

Is there a mobile internet service available for tablets? I.e a form of Micro SD (or similar) allowing an internet connection practically anywhere? (signal strength provided)

My tablet has micro SD slot.. Can i get a micro SD card with phone provider and use 3G?

Or

I have a Micro to std usb connector and an O2 dongle, would this setup work?

Its all for when im out and about, hotspots etc are difficult to find outside of cities.

Any explanations appreaciated, As you can tell, im new to this stuff.

Keith.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

The tablet itself would need to be 3G enabled to allow you to use a dongle.
    Check and see if it has built in WiFi as an alternative. You can then use it in WiFi hotspots.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

Thanks cerco. I'm more looking for this kind of thing. 3 do it.

Anyone have any experience?
    http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/productFeatures.do?pinfoId=3272&directoryId=5009&treeId=3619&tab=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Most smart phones can share their connection using 3g etc via wifi to others around them.

OP, what phone do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

I was talking to a guy at my kid's football match last week who had his iPad with him to keep an eye on the Premiership scores. He had one of these in his shirt pocket:

3-mobile-broadband-the-huawei-e169g-usb-modem-in-my-hand.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Technique wrote: »
    I was talking to a guy at my kid's football match last week who had his iPad with him to keep an eye on the Premiership scores. He had one of these in his shirt pocket:

There is a 3g sim card in that - you can also use the sim in a phone.

• Advertisement

Technique wrote: »

Yeah depending on the model of the 3g modem you can use it with an android or apple tablet.

Far easier just to share your phones connection though as you only have to worry about one sim card.

I have an S2. Tethering is well and good but my phone rings off the hook. Part of the reason id be logging in from side of the road is to view files etc while discussing them over the phone. Would my connection not keep dropping / pausing if also on the phone?

The tab i have is wifi only, no 3g. Not sure how the usb setup would work on such a tab?

Its no ipad but its only problem i can find is the speed of which it loads pages (not so much connection) call me old fashion (im 27 ;-P) but i never plunge straight in and spend the big bucks, more test this out and if i put it to use / its suitable ill upgrade to an ipad / android brand name.

I have an S2. Tethering is well and good but my phone rings off the hook. Part of the reason id be logging in from side of the road is to view files etc while discussing them over the phone. Would my connection not keep dropping / pausing if also on the phone?

The tab i have is wifi only, no 3g. Not sure how the usb setup would work on such a tab?

Its no ipad but its only problem i can find is the speed of which it loads pages (not so much connection) call me old fashion (im 27 ;-P) but i never plunge straight in and spend the big bucks, more test this out and if i put it to use / its suitable ill upgrade to an ipad / android brand name.

Hi op, only downside to turning your phone into a hotspot is it uses more battery.

Take a look at this guide to set it up: http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-share-your-galaxy-s-ii-internet-connection-wi-fi-hotspot-31900/

Chances are because your tablet doesnt have full USB in it then it doesnt have master control meaning it cant control USB peripherals and can only be controled (slave) e.g. plugging it into a PC to get files and charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Turning your phone into a wifi hotspot is essentially the same as what that device does and its free

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Limericks wrote: »
    Turning your phone into a wifi hotspot is essentially the same as what that device does and its free

Correct, but the OP seems not to want to go down that road as per his postings. So his next option is a portable wi-fi hotspot. Also depending on your network using phone as hotspot can actually cost.

Hi ResearchWill, You've the right idea. I posted that one above also. It must be my best option given im slow to use my phone as hotspot for a few reasons. Also with my tab not supporting usb or 3g my choices are limited. That said, this seems to be a great alternative?

It Costs €50 for the modem at the carphonewarehouse (instore was quotd €50 yesterday, online suggests its €59), Those prices are based on the light package (2gb) and comes with 2gb preloaded. Topup thereafter.

Hi ResearchWill, You've the right idea. I posted that one above also. It must be my best option given im slow to use my phone as hotspot for a few reasons. Also with my tab not supporting usb or 3g my choices are limited. That said, this seems to be a great alternative?

It Costs €50 for the modem at the carphonewarehouse (instore was quotd €50 yesterday, online suggests its €59), Those prices are based on the light package (2gb) and comes with 2gb preloaded. Topup thereafter.

What exactly are your reservations on using your phone as a hotspot?
    You can encode it with a wep key if that is your issue.

50 euro is allot of money to spend on something that your phone already does and having to top up every time then.

I am almost 100% sure that 2gb and whatever you add after that expires after a month aswell, open to correction on that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

50 euro is allot of money to spend on something that your phone already does and having to top up every time then.

I am almost 100% sure that 2gb and whatever you add after that expires after a month aswell, open to correction on that though.

Phone battery plummets though and isn't always allowed.

As said previously, I use my phone constantly and i have trouble enough getting a battery to last the day.

The 2gb expires each month, so a €20 top up per month is acceptable. Wep key etc is of little worry to me.

Also, i think €50 is a decent price for what it offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

So 50 euro for the device and 20 euro per month after that?
    290 euro per year. Grand if you can afford it but crazy if your on a budget.
    That 2gb won't last long either so you can only use it for light browsing.
    Tethering is the way to go. Can be hard on battery but if it's a concern just buy a replacement battery for 3 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I use my phone regularly as a hotspot. Mostly for quick email checks, sending some photos or downloading work documents or fecking around on Facebook. I don't find it overly draining on the battery. If you were to sit on the couch and browse the net for an hour, you'd see the difference... You can also make calls when you're using it as a hotspot.

However, if it is a business tool that is going to offer added productivity at a reasonable cost, then go for the wireless dongle thing... Although if it was a really important business tool, you should've got a tablet with 3G built in, to do the job properly...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If your worried about the battery draining too quickly, but are on the road a lot then just get a car charger and keep the battery topped up all the time. Then using the 3g and wifi isn't an issue for the battery.

Advertisement