Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rickshaws in Dublin?

Options
  • 28-12-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    Has anyone heard of Rickshaw rides in Dublin? Whereabouts are they?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Moved from Travel to Dublin City to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

they are on o connell street, at the spire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

On Grafton Street at night as well. Absolute Death traps imo, completely unlicenced as well, which I have a major problem with.

MarkMc wrote: »
    On Grafton Street at night as well. Absolute Death traps imo, completely unlicenced as well, which I have a major problem with.

I ran a rickshaw 15 years ago in Dublin. Just out of interest, how many fatalities have occurred since then?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

MarkMc wrote: »
    completely unlicenced as well, which I have a major problem with.
    Presumably as they are not carrying passengers for reward, there is no legal reguirement to be licenced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Presumably as they are not carrying passengers for reward, there is no legal reguirement to be licenced.

Reward? Isn't money a reward

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Reward? Isn't money a reward
    I think you may tip but I don't think they actually charge a fare.

(I'm open to correction).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

I think you may tip but I don't think they actually charge a fare.

(I'm open to correction).

The ones sponsored by 7up etc. which run during the day are free and you can tip. The ones on Grafton St etc at night charge and won't take you anywhere unless you agree to pay, now I don't know what would happen if you refused to pay when you arrived. Can't see the Gardai legally able to force you to pay.

People not paying very rarely happened when I worked them. You just got wise and chose who to take or not take. It's quite common sense after all.

People are charged. There was talk of a licence fee being brought in, for our own protection and so people wouldn't be using home-made "death-traps" :rolleyes: but nothing came of it. I presumed the politicians (that would need to introduce a licence) thought they would be too flash in the pan to bother with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Thanks very much! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

I haven't noticed rickshaws in Dublin in years. Its nearly all pedicabs these days I think.

• Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭beaner88

People not paying very rarely happened when I worked them. You just got wise and chose who to take or not take. It's quite common sense after all.

People are charged. There was talk of a licence fee being brought in, for our own protection and so people wouldn't be using home-made "death-traps" :rolleyes: but nothing came of it. I presumed the politicians (that would need to introduce a licence) thought they would be too flash in the pan to bother with.

Did you pay much tax on this income? Did you operate as a sole trader?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

beaner88 wrote: »

There's always one. Give the bloke a break.

Is that any of your business... No.

• Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭beaner88

Sorry for being bitter about paying 20K in tax every year and having to hear people pretend "oh I'm doing it for free, if somebody gives me money then that is ok". I'm not a fan of completely unlicensed and untaxed transport enterprise especially when I'm trying to walk the streets at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Well if your paying 20k in tax a year you should be able to live comfortably on the rest of what you earn. Wish I was earning enough to pay 20k tax. As I said. Give the chap a break

His tax affairs are none of anybodies business, end of discussion. If this keeps up bans will follow. Folks, if you have a problem with a post, report it

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Xlaxeo

Slunk wrote: »
    Well if your paying 20k in tax a year you should be able to live comfortably on the rest of what you earn. Wish I was earning enough to pay 20k tax. As I said. Give the chap a break

Unfortunately you don't have to earn much to pay 20k in tax.

And for those of us who pay a lot of tax, seeing people avoid it is very annoying.

I'm not suggesting anybody here is dodging tax.

This is not the Taxation forum, give it a rest. Last Warning

I was thinking alng the lines of traditional rickshaws but having looked it up and found a couple of photographs, it seems teh're modern pedi cab type things, as someone mentioned already :(

• Advertisement

They have the older ones on Grafton St at night were the lads run as opposed to cycle

Class, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

I'm sure they're motor-assisted as well. Anyone know if they all are, or some are pedal power only?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ive gotten the older ones on a few occassions on Grafton St were the lads run not pedal or motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Perhaps they should at least be licensed and insured!

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/celebrity-news-gossip/i-remember-being-covered-in-blood-dublin-wives-star-opens-up-about-rickshaw-accident-3357533.html#ixzz2IQLHem9u
    Dublin Wives star opens up about rickshaw accident

Celeb News Home
    dani226_1151614a.jpgdani2_1151615a.jpg

By Ken Sweeney Entertainment Editor
    Saturday Jan 19 2013

A STAR of 'Dublin Wives' was hospitalised after an accident involving a bicycle rickshaw in Dublin.

Danielle Meagher suffered concussion and a fractured jaw when the vehicle toppled over, the impact resulting in one of her teeth being pushed through her chin.

The dentist (32) was operated on to move part of the tooth which had been imbedded in her cheek and required stitches.

<Sherlock Snip - Please do not quote entire articles>

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

Walking up Grafton Street in the evening these days, is not to dissimilair to the Koh San Road in Bangkok with all the Tuk Tuks and Rickshaws flying about the place

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tinytiger

Sorry for being bitter about paying 20K in tax every year and having to hear people pretend "oh I'm doing it for free, if somebody gives me money then that is ok". I'm not a fan of completely unlicensed and untaxed transport enterprise especially when I'm trying to walk the streets at night.

you should get a rickshaw for yourself and walk off some of your bitterness and make a few quid for yourself at the same time-used to do it myself 10 or more years ago-did it for 3 or 4 years while i was in college-every night was an adventure lol-junkies trying to rob me,drunk gay guys trying to get me to go off with them-being a sober witness to the insanity of dublin at night.Are the pedestrian rickshaws still about or are they all pedal powered now?

Both can be seen on Grafton St at the weekend, not sure about week days

Please dont get personal, attack the post, not the poster

• Advertisement

Thank you all for the info..if I find a pedestrian version I'll update

Advertisement