Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compact Chainset - 9sp and 10 sp ???

Options
  • 28-12-2012 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I'm confused. I have a Tiagra chainset on the bike at the moment. it's a compact 50/34 and I would like to upgrade since I am also changing cassette and chain at the moment.
    However I have a 9 speed cassette in the back and this Ultegra 6750 is advertised as a 10 speed ??
    How can a chainset be 9 or 10 speed ?
    Does that mean it isn't good for me so or that is just a mistake?
    The price seems to be good, but I want to make sure it works with the rest of the gear I've on at the moment (Tiagra)
    Does anyone have some experience with mixing Shimano components?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Its to do with chain width more so then the chainrings but this should work no problem with your proposal, it would be if you were going the other way, i.e. using a 9 speed chainset with a 10 speed set-up is where you might potentially come accross some issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭The Big Lebowsky

Thats one hell of a bargain...Planet X have some very good deals occasionally.

I'm using an ultegra 6600 10 speed chainset with a 9 speed drivetrain without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

Thanks a million lads.

Advertisement