Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We all dream of a team of... ?

• 28-12-2012 11:42am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If you had to clone one player 10 times to make a team, who would you pick and why?

Would 11 Messis be good enough on the ground to beat any big, physical side or would everyone just lob him from 60 yards every chance they got?

How would Cristiano Ronaldo get on with 10 doppelgangers? A match made in heaven or a guaranteed full-on strop?

Zlatan has the height to play in nets but would he get bored and try saving shots with his heels?

An all-Pele XI might be interesting but would they be able for the modern game?

How about playing it safe and picking a strong, athletic, adaptable player who can shoot from distance like Clarence Seedorf, Steve Gerrard or even Ruud Gullit?

You can imagine the opposition is either a top club or national side or else another 11 clones...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Bebes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Xavi Hernandez. You simply won't get the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

Gary Doherty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The only real answer is XI Gary Breen's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Roy Keane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

John O'Shea

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Yaya Toure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Rene Higuita

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Essiens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Gary Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Gareth Bales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Number 1, is Georgie Best,
    Number 2, is...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

It's really the age old question isn't it, could 11 Messi's do it against 11 Shawcross' on a cold night at the Britannia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Rooney could play any position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

iDave wrote: »
    Roy Keane

Best shout so far.

Fellaini for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Maradonna

Aside from his skill his desire to win was just amazing. Although you'ld finish most games 2-3 players short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Beckenbauer
    Gerrard
    Seedorf
    Iniesta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

article-2253283-16A848DA000005DC-165_634x592.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Gerrard good shout. Physical enough to defend. Skillful enough for midfield. Reasonable pace to play the flanks and can score goals. Bale is another who has the same attributes.

As regards Xavi, would have no chance defending and no pace however well he'd keep the ball when he gets it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,387 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

An form Rooney would be the guy I would look to. would be the best all rounder (again, when actually on form). Also fancies himself as a keeper in training so all 11 positions are sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Gerard Pique

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I initially thought Rooney, but I reckon Yaya might be a better shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Of players currently playing it would be Rooney for me.He has it all.strength,power,pace and the willingness to do the donkey work.He has already played in numerous positions for United.bit small for Keeper/CB,crosses into the box might be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭baldshin

Yaya Toure all day long for me, would put in a faultless display anywhere on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

A team of Joey Bartons

We may not win a lot but there'd be some crack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Arteta

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Screw winning, i'm going with Messi for the entertainment value alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

iDave wrote: »
    Roy Keane

Jesus...imagine of one of him made a mistake...carnage...

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Ronaldinho.

Let me be entertained!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Souness.

Was a near perfect midfielder when in his pomp.

Could attack, could defend, fantastic stamina, good pace, could tackle a little bit, good in the air, and driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

A team of Dirk Kuyts would be very formidable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Cantonas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

wembley_1996_moeller.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Anyone who remembers the old Championship Manager might remember Paul Warhurst as a bit of a versatile handyman. (D RL, M RL, F RLC)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I'd have to say Xavi a couple of years ago or maybe Iniesta now. You might say it'd be weak defensively but if they defended the way Barca do (closing down high up the pitch, trying to win it back in the first few seconds after losing it) they'd do ok.

Alternatively, Arturo Vidal. He's not as much of a genius as Xavi, but I think he could genuinely play every position on the pitch. CM/LB/RB/CB are no problem to him and he's a great finisher (he's Juve's top scorer this season).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You'd never get a team of Roy Keanes out onto the pitch though, they'd be stuck in the dressing room beating the ****e out of each other and sticking things up each other's bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yugioh

large-17.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

What is up with this forums obsession with Yaya Toure? Even if he is good which he is, he doesn't look great, he plays really labored on the ball and tends to be sloppy, even when his passes are successful. He's not your typical crisp passing top center midfielder. His strength is physical, not as a footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Yugioh wrote: »
    Berbatov

Any team with an iota of pace would destroy that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

A team of Berbatovs would be box office entertainment, but probably a rubbish football team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

11x Vinnie Jones would be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

David Luiz, would have moments of brilliance all over the pitch but then the defenders would be likely to do something stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Cant believe this player hasn't been mentioned, especially by United fans........The great John O'Shea, hasnt he played in nearly every position already? So my team already have the experience, we wouldn't need time to gel :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Cant believe this player hasn't been mentioned, especially by United fans........The great John O'Shea, hasnt he played in nearly every position already? So my team already have the experience, we wouldn't need time to gel :pac:

I can't believe you gave up reading after only 6 posts (or have already forgotten by page two).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I'd have to say Xavi a couple of years ago or maybe Iniesta now. You might say it'd be weak defensively but if they defended the way Barca do (closing down high up the pitch, trying to win it back in the first few seconds after losing it) they'd do ok.

Alternatively, Arturo Vidal. He's not as much of a genius as Xavi, but I think he could genuinely play every position on the pitch. CM/LB/RB/CB are no problem to him and he's a great finisher (he's Juve's top scorer this season).

People don't give Xavi enough credit from a leadership or work rate point of view. Sure he doesn't scream at teammates with veins in his forehead about to pop but he is a great leader, an inspirational player and has great work ethic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Crazy Paraguayan 'keeper Jose Luis Chilavert was the first that came to mind. apart from Gary Breen obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Has to be Lauren for me. He could finish, see the penalty against spurs in the unbeaten season or the winning penalty in the African Cup of Nations, he was originally a midfielder and he finished in defence. Would give my right arm for a player of his considerable class to be playing for Arsenal now. Also described as one of the hardest players in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Adriano for barcalona at the moment, he can play both sides of defence and midfield and after seeing a few of his goals this season he wouldnt go astray up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

has to be paul mcshane :)

or failing that , the great peter schmeichel

• Advertisement
Advertisement