Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defoe

Options
  • 28-12-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭

Villa game was his 400th career league appearance, 247th for Spurs.

7 goals off 4th spot in spurs all time goalscorers. Currently 8th ahead of Sheringham and Keane.

Respect for on the pitch performances. More respect for what he's doing in the tottenham community off the pitch. A true spurs legend.

This all with playing bit parts over the last few seasons under Harry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

irishmover wrote: »
    Villa game was his 400th career league appearance, 247th for Spurs.

7 goals off 4th spot in spurs all time goalscorers. Currently 8th ahead of Sheringham and Keane.

Respect for on the pitch performances. More respect for what he's doing in the tottenham community off the pitch. A true spurs legend.

This all with playing bit parts over the last few seasons under Harry.

He has always tended to be a little selfish on the pitch over the years, maybe that was because he wasn't playing as often as he'd liked to so he felt he had to shoot every time he got the ball to try impress. He also seemed to always need 2 or 3 chances before he'd score one, although he seems to enjoying himself this season.

As regards his off the field stuff, he has had plenty of personal heartache over the last couple of years so maybe he realises it's time to give something back.

Good player, but not a great player ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Hatch99 wrote: »

He has always tended to be a little selfish on the pitch over the years, maybe that was because he wasn't playing as often as he'd liked to so he felt he had to shoot every time he got the ball to try impress. He also seemed to always need 2 or 3 chances before he'd score one, although he seems to enjoying himself this season.

As regards his off the field stuff, he has had plenty of personal heartache over the last couple of years so maybe he realises it's time to give something back.

Good player, but not a great player ;)

7 goals off 4th top spurs scorer of all time. Surely that warrants great status at the club!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

He's having a great season, but I feel, as mentioned above, he's consistently needed too many chances to put it in the net throughout his career. So, not a Spur's great for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Defoe is a good player - even a very good one but he isnt world class.

I have been impressed with him this season though - he has done some good hold up play and bringing others into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Inquitus wrote: »
    He's having a great season, but I feel, as mentioned above, he's consistently needed too many chances to put it in the net throughout his career. So, not a Spur's great for me.

Agree with all that but in fairness to the guy the facts speak for themselves and he's 8th all time scorer so that has to put him in the all time great frame.

• Advertisement

yiddo59 wrote: »

Agree with all that but in fairness to the guy the facts speak for themselves and he's 8th all time scorer so that has to put him in the all time great frame.

That's exactly what I was getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I know he needs 2-3 chances for every goal he scores but sure what striker (bar Klinsmann) that we have had in the last 15 years didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tomo75

If he keeps scoring at the rate he is, he will break the 20 league goal barrier which hasn't been done at Spurs since Jurgen in 94/95 season. Says a lot.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Show me some stats on goals per minute played and chances per goal scored versus the rest of the top ten goal scorers and I might be persuaded. Yes this season has been much better than before but my overall impression of Defoe is he wastes too many opportunities. Not a legend yet for me (but here's hoping!)

Ok so nobody showed me and I got fed up waiting. :D

Some interesting stats for you ....

As of Dec 18th Defoe has an average 5.66 shots per goal. That was 18th place in a table of strikers who have scored at least 5 goals this season and behind Torres who everyone considers a flop. Theo Walcott leads the table with an average 3.2 shots per goal.

He places 12th in minutes on the pitch per goal scored at 150.67. Interestingly Torres is back in 26th at 229 minutes per goal. Van Persie leads the table with 114 minutes per goal (taking out those goal scoring super subs who would skew the minutes per goal ratio)

source

So this season it would be fair to say he's there and thereabouts but not at the top end of the form table. My perception though was this season was a big improvement. Then I came across this which was a comparison done at the end of last season.

Defoe ranks 7th in minutes per goal (13th top scorer overall) at 117 which means this season so far on this stat anyway he is not matching the form of last season. Ade actually finished in 4th place overall at 167 minutes per goal.

The big thing that stood out from the same analysis was assists or lack of for Defoe last year. Bottom of the pile at 1 assist in the whoel season versus Ade on 11 assists topping the chart of assists from the top 15 strikers. Defoe already has 2 assists this season whilst playing more of a lone strikers role.

In summary - Defoe isn't that far off the pace at all versus the rest of the premier league. (Certainly not as far off as I personally thought he was) He takes a lot of shots per goal scored which confirms my original suspicions. However he clearly gets into more scoring opportunities than most as his goals per minute ratio compares a lot better with the rest of the league (even though this is worse than last year) Perhaps his play this year has been less selfish which also makes for an improvement. If he could convert more of the shots he gets into goals he would have a phenomenal strike record.

• Advertisement

Well to be fair you asked for stats compared to the other top 10 on Spurs' all time goalscorer list which is very difficult to do so I didn't reply as I'm home on holidays for Christmas and new years so don't have the time to spend researching.

Then you gave stats on this season compared to other teams which isn't what you asked! But still fair play for investigating.

Indeed I did - and you're right there is slim pickings out there. These are the figures for goals per game for the top 10 Spurs scorers (sorted from top to bottom)

1. 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Jimmy Greaves 0.70
    5. 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png George Hunt 0.70
    2. 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Bobby Smith 0.66
    3. 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Martin Chivers 0.47
    9. 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Teddy Sheringham 0.45
    6. 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Len Duquemin 0.44
    4. 22px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png Cliff Jones 0.42
    8. 22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Jermain Defoe 0.41
    10. 22px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png Robbie Keane 0.40
    7. 22px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Alan Gilzean 0.30

Full stats such as goals scored etc can be viewed here

To be fair to Defoe a lot of his appearances for the club have been as substitute. A quick calculation above - if you assumed that all appearances were for 90 minutes Defoes .41 goals per game translates as a goal every 220 minutes whereas last year (when tracking his actual minutes played) his ratio was a goal every 117 minutes. It really isn't a fair comparison when you look a bit deeper.

That's why I went looking for stats on shots per goal etc which aren't available for the older generation of players but overall you get a clear enough picture that Defoe is one of our best ever performers.

Up to 5th on the all time goalscorers list for the club and ofcourse now our top European goalscorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Congrats to Defoe, no easy achievement. Sneaky feeling he'll re join West Ham at some point soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

his interview was shown before the game last night. a nice guy in fairness

used spend 6 weeks of his summer holiday in st lucia as a kid , nice :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tottenhams-jermain-defoe-agrees-transfer-2854640

Jermain Defoe has agreed an incredible £90,000-a-week switch to Major League Soccer side Toronto FC.

The 31-year-old Tottenham and England striker has shattered the hopes of domestic clubs bidding to land him in January by accepting a stunning four-year offer to move to Canada.

Defoe said yes to the deal, also worth £6million to the White Hart Lane club, last week.

It is understood he will discuss the implications for his World Cup prospects with England boss Roy Hodgson.

But the transfer means the striker is set to end his career in Canada.

Defoe's former club West Ham and his old Spurs and Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp, now at Championship promotion chasers Queens Park Rangers, had been leading the chase to tempt him away from White Hart Lane.

But, as we exclusively revealed a month ago, Toronto gazumped them all with an offer the marksman could not refuse - which will be his Tottenham wage of £67,000-a-week, topped up by bonuses.

The outfit, managed by Defoe’s former Tottenham team-mate Ryan Nelsen, will even fly the striker’s family out with him to help him settle.

Although the deal has been agreed, Defoe is hoping he can stay at White Hart Lane to help the club through their striker crisis until just before the 2014 MLS season starts in March.

The move will draw a line under his frustrating second spell at White Hart Lane.

Despite being a regular goal-scorer for Tottenham the frontman has been to restricted to appearances in the Europa League this season.

Boss Andre Villas-Boas has persisted with £26million summer signing Roberto Soldado as the sole striker in his strongest side.

In the summer of 2012, Defoe signed a new deal extending his contract - which would have ended next July - by an extra year.

Mirror Sport understands he was willing to see out his playing days in Spurs colours.

With his opportunities limited, however, Defoe has chosen to cut his losses and move on.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tottenhams-jermain-defoe-agrees-transfer-2854640#ixzz2lnqFfnDI
    Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It wouldn't surprise me to see him go somewhere like that. He'd absolutely destroy the A-League.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

yea he would sure look at how old man keano is getting on so well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

No doubt we have a replacement lined for a January move. A lot of rumours about Morata joining us on loan but I reckon if he is brought in Kane will be loaned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Story not true according to AVB on SSN tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

tippspur wrote: »
    Story not true according to AVB on SSN tonight.

That means he's gone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

2 goals in the first 20 mins on is debut away to Seattle Sounders

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Two typical Defoe goals, he'll run riot.

Advertisement