Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think its bad luck to touch an ancient site or is it just superstition

• 28-12-2012 3:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭

I was chatting to my aunt last night about a stretch of road near her house that two people have been killed on in last few months

She maintains that there is an ancient site that was built on number of years ago and since there is no luck on that road

Obviously she is smoking crack but have you heard similar stories from the older generation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I am typinng thiis with my toees as i cut a fairy fort with thee lawnmooweer in June and my fiingers fell offf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Sh!t wrong forum

Mods move to Ah please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

sfwcork wrote: »
    Sh!t wrong forum

Mods move to Ah please

Your wish is my command

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Isn't every site ancient?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Do you think its bad luck to touch an ancient site or is it just superstition

I'd certainly keep away from cougars.com :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

There is something to it tbh

I for one wouldn't cut down a fairy fort.

There is one near us that has been excavated and the found a tunnel running 23 miles under it

They were supposedly use to run guns back in the day and perhaps the stories were told to keep people away.

Or they belonged to an ancient race, newgrange wasn't built without serious knowledge of astrology and geometry.

in short. I'm more on the leave them alone side of the fence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

Your aunt wanted you to touch her ancient site.

mathie wrote: »
    Your aunt wanted you to touch her ancient site.

Ah lad comeon ta fook.thats only allowed in Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I know a girl who kissed the Blarney Stone and caught crabs in the same weekend.

Not sure if the two are related though.

Where To wrote: »
    I know a girl who kissed the Blarney Stone and caught crabs in the same weekend.

did she ride the stone yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

did she ride the stone yeah?
    No, she's not from Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Froyo

Unless it's an ancient Indian burial ground, have at it, I say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Where To wrote: »

Have you seen how you kiss that stone

Moi is quiet happy that these Piseogs are about, they have helped preserve our history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

There is one near us that has been excavated and the found a tunnel running 23 miles under it

They were supposedly use to run guns back in the day and perhaps the stories were told to keep people away.

Or they belonged to an ancient race, newgrange wasn't built without serious knowledge of astrology and geometry.

I'd be the same. It could be all bullshiite but wouldn't chance it either.

We have a ring fort on our land, it's cool. They should never be destroyed, even if people don't believe that it could harm you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

never mind all the BS, you should never damage an Ancient Monument because it is what it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Touching the holy stone of Clonrichert brings bad luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

corktina wrote: »
    never mind all the BS, you should never damage an Ancient Monument because it is what it is

Going forward.

corktina wrote: »
    Sooooooo tina you come here often

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd be very cautious. Yes, superstition, but still..
    Clíodhna's wave for starters... down near Glandore. Carraig Chliona near Mallow attracted a lot of attention when it was being quarried, machines kept breaking down, things went "bump" in the night, a priest was brought in to say mass and it settled down a bit after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

How much did the priest charge for the mass, does he have an albi for the nights in question, if he is legit look at the altar boys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

How much did the priest charge for the mass, does he have an albi for the nights in question, if he is legit look at the altar boys

Ha, read that as Aldi.

Lads, the spririts are mighty annoyed, we might need a cheap German supermarket to keep us going with supplies, and ski clothing. And possibly a new drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Growing up in the country I heard these stories all the time. The fairy forts in particular used to terrify me as a child. Even now I still wouldn't interfere with them or build on a site which has one. Probably sounds foolish to a lot of people but I'm not willing to take the chance. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Growing up in the country I heard these stories all the time. The fairy forts in particular used to terrify me as a child. Even now I still wouldn't interfere with them or build on a site which has one. Probably sounds foolish to a lot of people but I'm not willing to take the chance. :pac:
    That reminds me of a story my grand dad tolld me that when people were planning to build houses, they used to put four stones where the future house will be built.

They would leave it over night and if they were disturbed in the morning, you wouldn't build because it was part of a fairy path.

Sure the fairies are even blamed for Sean Quinns downfall!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/sean-quinns-downfall-is-fairies-revenge-say-locals-in-cavan-2941144.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I don't go in for such rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Uh oh, somebody doesn't know the difference between astrology and astronomy. What you said is similar calling neurology, 'homeopathy'. One is a science, the other is 'magic' horse****e. Please hand in your right to an opinion on your way out.

But yes, Newgrange is a marvelous feat of mathematics, geometry and architecture. A lot of effort obviously went into tracking the Sun's movement in the sky throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Growing up in Dublin, we got an education and laugh at all this utter trollop. No such thing as haunted sites or fairy forts, leprechauns or unicorns. As a child I used to do as many superstitious things as possible...broke mirrors, walked under ladders all that crap...nothing....grow up country people.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

When my mother was a child, a neighbour took a standing stone from a holy well to use as a fence post. He cut his arm deeply and it would not heal, despite all kinds of potions and lotions. After two months, my grandfather told the neighbour to restore the stone to its original site.The cut healed within a week.
    This is a true story,not some kind of myth.
    Would our dubious Dub spend a night alone at the Hellfire club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I licked the wall when I went to Newgrange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Arpa wrote: »

Growing up in Dublin, we got an education and laugh at all this utter trollop. No such thing as haunted sites or fairy forts, leprechauns or unicorns. As a child I used to do as many superstitious things as possible...broke mirrors, walked under ladders all that crap...nothing....grow up country people.

But your from the Pale - the Pookahs won't ever bother with that place for sure....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Sooooooo tina you come here often

why? you wanna meet up Big Boy? :D

Advertisement