Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with WIFI Extender

Options
  • 28-12-2012 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi there

I bought the TP-LINK 300Mbps Wireless N Range Extender below to provide WIFI access to all parts of my house.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9093104/Trail/searchtext%3EEXTENDER.htm

Hopefully i can explain this properly - not sure what the technical reason for the issue is but here goes

I completed the setup for the extender to work in my kitchen where i never had a WIFI signal before

This seemed to be ok and i am now able to get a full WIFI signal in the kitchen.

However there seems to be an issue as in order to get an internet connection i have to re-establish the WIFI connection by turning WIFI off on the iphone and then back on again

It then works normally

If i go back to the room where the router is i have to do the same thing

It is like i have WIFI is in all parts of the house but using it is not seamless

Room 1 - IP Address is 10.120.1.4
    Kitchen - IP Address is 10.120.1.10

I thought i should be able to use it in all rooms without having to either amend any settings or renew the ip address or anything like that

Did i miss something on the setup and if so how can i correct this now?

Any advice or help would be much appreciated

Many Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

That most likely is an issue with your iPhone roaming and I doubt there is much you can do about it. I've seen this issue before, where it's not seamless. You are not really extending the netwotrk, but creating a second network identical to the first with different hardware. Your iPhone is staying connected to the first device it connects to, it remembers it's physical hardware address (mac address). You could drop a shortcut on your homescreen to disable and re-enable wifi......oh wait, its an iPhone :D

Advertisement