Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop pulling a fast one?

• 28-12-2012 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭

I was in the Gamestop in Ennis yesterday browsing through the PC racks when i came across an interesting looking game. It was called Tabula Rasa and passed itself as a sprawling sci-fi epic, ala Advent Rising or Mass Effect.

I'd never heard of it and was a bit disappointed when i saw that it was an MMO. I figure most P2P MMO's are doomed to failure and it might have gone F2P but when i looked it up i discovered that the servers had peen pulled since 2009 or so due to low subscriptions and the game was completely gone.

So why the hell are GS selling it? The online content is gone. Is there any offline content on the disk itself? If not, they're charging €15 for a nice looking box.

:confused: :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Ive heard this same story posted here a couple years ago. AFAIK there is no offline content
    I personally think gamestop are a greedy company that will do anything for profit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

gamestop will always try pull a fast one. A pre played game was on display for 50e the same as a new copy. Ridiculus

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Buy it, than go back and demand a better/more expensive game in return for all the trouble. They really should have removed it from the shelves a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Or it's been sitting on the shelf since 2009 and the staff do not know the server status of every obscure pc mmo out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rosedust84

wadacrack wrote: »
    gamestop will always try pull a fast one. A pre played game was on display for 50e the same as a new copy. Ridiculus
    I've seen used games more expensive than the new copy ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

There is also a copy of Star Wars Galaxies for sale in GameStop Blanchardstown... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Some hassle trying to return a PC game to them. No returns on PC games as far as I know.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Rosedust84 wrote: »
    I've seen used games more expensive than the new copy ;)
    Yeah it is a joke tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

dazftw wrote: »
    Some hassle trying to return a PC game to them. No returns on PC games as far as I know.

Goods should be fit for purpose, in this case they wouldn't be. Even a modicum of consumer law knowledge would sort this one out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Who still buys PC games in a store?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

EnterNow wrote: »
    Goods should be fit for purpose, in this case they wouldn't be. Even a modicum of consumer law knowledge would sort this one out

In fairness when I returned my new copy of Alan Wake to them (because someone had already used the steam key) they gave me my money back. apparently, it had happened to several copies of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

In theory. In practice, Gamestop are notorious obstructive to returns and they're infamous for selling MMOs that have been shut down. Plenty of people would just not be bothered with the hassle once they realised, so it's worth GS's time to give it a try.

The previously noted Star Wars Galaxies is the best example because you can find a copy of it in almost every GS in Ireland, and they've been informed over and over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Mainly because, as a guy I knew in college explained (with a big grin on his face), people would buy the game, rip the files off it and return the disc for a refund 3 or 4 hours later saying its defective or it wont work on their computer (its why you also get asked a lot if a game your buying will wotk on your PC, means they are covering their arses).

No SWG in my Gamestop, but they did have Tabula Rasa for a while. Also saw Gamestop selling the Warhammer online pre-order box (which grants early beta access and 2 items I never used in the game) for the low, low price of €15.

Though they must be learning, The Old Republic is down to €10 after going FtP, The Secret World is still €30 on sale even though it offers more as a FtP game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Or it's been sitting on the shelf since 2009 and the staff do not know the server status of every obscure pc mmo out there.
    In which case the charge is gross incompetence rather than outright dishonesty. If there's been no review of the stock on display for 3-4 years then it's no wonder that high street PC sales are dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Who still buys PC games in a store?? :confused:

People who don't have fast internet speeds and huge download limits that allow them to download tens of gigabytes per month but who still have an interest in PC gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Slightly off topic but don't gamestop Ireland now sell steam gift vouchers?

In theory. In practice, Gamestop are notorious obstructive to returns and they're infamous for selling MMOs that have been shut down

They can object all they want, because all the objecting in the world doesn't change your statutory rights as a consumer. If you buy something that isn't fit for purpose, in this case the purpose is actually using the product, you have certain legal rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

They can object all they want, because all the objecting in the world doesn't change your statutory rights as a consumer. If you buy something that isn't fit for purpose, in this case the purpose is actually using the product, you have certain legal rights.

Absolutely. Could it be the case though that you'd need to go to the small claims court or something in order to avail of your rights? It wouldn't really be worth it financially in that case.

danthefan wrote: »
    Absolutely. Could it be the case though that you'd need to go to the small claims court or something in order to avail of your rights? It wouldn't really be worth it financially in that case.

For the principle alone it'd be worth it, nothing like wiping the smug grin off a store manager who thinks he/she is above the law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I always wonder how Gamestop do any business. They are so much more expensive for new games than HMV. In the Crescent, HMV is literally a couple of doors down, and you can say somewhere between €5-15 on every new game.

You'd have to wonder how they survive? Even for second hand games which is a large part of their business, they sell for €2 or €3 less than a new copy (which often, needs €5 for an online activation key), or in some cases, the new copy is the same price as the second hand one :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Seems as though this has been going on for years.
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/150/view/forums/thread/289089/page/1 Post #3 mentions a store rhyming with LAME TOP. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

Rooney10 wrote: »
    I always wonder how Gamestop do any business. They are so much more expensive for new games than HMV. In the Crescent, HMV is literally a couple of doors down, and you can say somewhere between €5-15 on every new game.

You'd have to wonder how they survive? Even for second hand games which is a large part of their business, they sell for €2 or €3 less than a new copy (which often, needs €5 for an online activation key), or in some cases, the new copy is the same price as the second hand one :confused:

There isn't a HMV in every town in Ireland. Looks like gamestop nearly has! Just had a look at both store locators. If there was a HMV in Waterford, I'd never be in gamestop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

For the principle alone it'd be worth it, nothing like wiping the smug grin off a store manager who thinks he/she is above the law

That's why I specifically said "financially worth it". Couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

N64 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but don't gamestop Ireland now sell steam gift vouchers?

Yup they do, I received one as a gift this xmas, best gift you can give a pc gamer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Krieg wrote: »

Yup they do, I received one as a gift this xmas, best gift you can give a pc gamer
    My wife tried to buy me one for Christmas but was told by staff that the codes don't work yet and won't till new year. Any one use one successfully?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It makes me kind of angry when I see people failing to realise the difference between a store's discretionary returns policy ("if you don't like it you can bring it back") and their statutory obligations ("this product does not work, you are legally obliged to refund me"). Doubly so when you see people not only falling for it but actually then passing this false information on to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Zillah wrote: »
    It makes me kind of angry when I see people failing to realise the difference between a store's discretionary returns policy ("if you don't like it you can bring it back") and their statutory obligations ("this product does not work, you are legally obliged to refund me"). Doubly so when you see people not only falling for it but actually then passing this false information on to others.

I'm not saying people don't have a right to a refund - I'm saying that, in practice, many or even most people won't pursue the dispute beyond a store manager level. Gamestop store managers are a particularly unhelpful animal to deal with, so if the customer doesn't get any joy there, more often than not, it winds up sitting at home somewhere gathering dust and the store gets away with it. Or, if you're lucky, they'll give you a refund and then put it right back out there until somebody else picks it up. Although the store is quite wrong, the hassle of actually having them acknowledge it is to their advantage.

In other words, yes, Gamestop is pulling a fast one because the likelyhood of a customer actually going as far as the small claims court over a 10/15 euro game is so slim that on balance, it's in their interest to act the twat about it and take the gamble.

And as I say and as you'll find from googling, they are notorious for doing this in the case of extinct MMOs where there was no buy back facility provided by the supplier. The fact that they still sell SWG, after the considerable amount of coverage the closure of that game got, would seem to my eyes to back that up. I know for a fact there have been complaints made at store level, and yet, there it is - still on the shelves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

HQ sends daily updates in regards to pricing, issues with current games and all that jazz.

Not knowing a game that is no longer active, yet stocked on the shelves, is horrendous management from the centralised HQ.

Although does not suprise me in the slightest.

Was in Stephens green today nearly getting sick at the price of stuff they were charging : /

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I don't really think its the GameStop as companies fault, it's more of the staff, which does not have a fecking clue about games.

I don't think that Gamestop staffeven knows that they have PC shelf somewhere in a shop. So they did not even bothered looking at its content.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I don't really think its the GameStop as companies fault, it's more of the staff, which does not have a fecking clue about games
    Which makes it entirely GameStop's fault... unless somebody else hires, trains, advises, managed, etc their staff. This doesn't seem to be an isolated incident that can be blamed on a few individual staff members

Either GameStop simply doesn't care about having obsolete PC games on display (or PC games in general) or there is something badly wrong with its stock control/display procedures and store management processes in general

Advertisement