Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay as a derogatory term.

• 28-12-2012 6:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭

Why is calling someone gay automatically perceived as an insult?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Is it? Maybe by 12 year old snickering schoolkids but I don't think it is, generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Where To wrote: »
    Is it?
    Sometimes it can be intended that way, ya big gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Possibly all that sanctimonious crap he came out with, as spokesman for the Road Safety Association.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Thread will end in tears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Sometimes it can be intended that way, ya big gay.
    How dare you call me that!! I've never been so insulted in my whole life!!

Big?! Big?! Why you little. . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

im good friends with a gay chap, who is a brilliant and strict barman. he hates 'the screamers' as he calls them (the feminine gay men) and used to call them 'gay bastards' a lot when our group would be out drinking and one was in the vacinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Languages evolve naturally, all the time. Dick is an insult, so is prick, **** etc etc. I'm sure when these started being used people were questioning why it was an insult to call someone a penis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Where To wrote: »
    Is it? Maybe by 12 year old snickering schoolkids but I don't think it is, generally.

It's quite common for young and old,I've even heard "educated"people in the media use it as an implied insult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

When Bebo was at its peak in 1996/1997, someone who I knew very little about or knew me only through friends of friends, said about me "he's straight, he's just using being ghey as an excuse" and used it as a main comment. I am not bulls*hitting you, I didn't spend the previous 10 or 15 years pretending to be gay just so my female friends would sleep in the same bed as me. To call me straight, was a huge smack in the teeth. To this day I still remember it.. It genuinely was an insult...that's just me is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

When Bebo was at its peak in 1996/1997, someone who I knew very little about or knew me only through friends of friends, said about me "he's straight, he's just using being ghey as an excuse" and used it as a main comment. I am not bulls*hitting you, I didn't spend the previous 10 or 15 years pretending to be gay just so my female friends would sleep in the same bed as me. To call me straight, was a huge smack in the teeth. To this day I still remember it.. It genuinely was an insult...that's just me is all.

Bebo was around in 1996/1997?

Bebo was around in 1996/1997?
    Ya see, I've just proven time travel...(haha, sorry, 2006/2007 haha)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

kneemos wrote: »

It is how your brain computes, you need an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

In before "gaaaaayyy" seal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

I cant understand someone over the age of 12 seeing it as a decent adjective to describe anything. Generally people that use it have never spoken to a gay person and see that a lot of "gay" are far more masculine than they will be...

Dan savage sums it up in this clip

http://youtu.be/7Y8mtdUn_QU

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

This thread is gay ffs

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    This thread is gay ffs

It will not let you go threw the eye of the needle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

im good friends with a gay chap, who is a brilliant and strict barman. he hates 'the screamers' as he calls them (the feminine gay men) and used to call them 'gay bastards' a lot when our group would be out drinking and one was in the vacinity.

That describes one of the barmen in my local. Gay bloke who'd kick the ****e out of most no bother and puts up with nothing.

That describes one of the barmen in my local. Gay bloke who'd kick the ****e out of most no bother and puts up with nothing.

That's the only way to do it, zero tolerance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That's the only way to do it, zero tolerance.

Yeah. Violence solves everything.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Sorry, I retract simply because of pure stupidity. Violence, NO. Sorry.. no... I didn't mean it like that...

I wouldn't say he's violent. He keeps the drunks in check. It's a proper local with regular alcos. None of the lads in there will **** with him.

Its going to be a long night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Sorry, I retract simply because of pure stupidity. Violence, NO. Sorry.. no... I didn't mean it like that...
    Oh yes you did:D

Pottler wrote: »
    Oh yes you did:D

I swear to God lads, I didn't mean it the way it sounded, I'm so sorry. Thanks Mango, nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

It'll probably go out of fashion in 10-15 years time, the usage of ''gay'' as derogatory that is !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I think Mr. Louis CK explains all of this perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

he sounds like a judgmental ass to be honest. what does it matter to him if someone's feminine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Calling people gay is for fags!

BOHtox wrote: »
    Calling people gay is for fags!

FAIL...what are you playing at!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Links234 wrote: »
    he sounds like a judgmental ass to be honest. what does it matter to him if someone's feminine?

Its a personality trait, same as any-other personality trait. Is it OK to dislike someone because they're loud or love to brag, but its not OK to dislike someone who is effeminate because its somehow linked to being gay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Senna wrote: »
    Its a personality trait, same as any-other personality trait. Is it OK to dislike someone because they're loud or love to brag, but its not OK to dislike someone who is effeminate because its somehow linked to being gay?

True. Being effeminate doesn't doesn't automatically make you gay, I think that was a bad association there, though most likely unintentional on their part.

Personally, I don't particularly like campness in gay or straight lads. I don't care what your hole preference is, I just don't like the quality and find it hard to get on with them. I find it annoying to be stuck around them for long periods of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

What ?
    Has that Gabriel Byrne fella been mouthin off again ?

honestly? I think so much homophobia is dressed up as only hating the "effeminate" guys, how often do we hear the phrase "I don't care if you're gay, just don't act like it"? when people go on about feminine gays, they're not really going on about anyone in particular, they're piling all the negative traits they associate with gay people into one charicature and attacking that.

or maybe I don't like that because it's just plain old gender-policing, eg; men should be totally masculine all of the time and women should be totally feminine all of the time, and never shall they deviate. and that just irks me on a whole other level.

besides, being loud is going to be intrusive and annoying depending on the time and place, but being 'feminine' doesn't do anything to anyone, doesn't invade their space, and I would say that if someone is seriously annoyed that a guy is feminine then they must not be all that comfortable in themselves anyway.

so no, I don't see much validity in disliking someone based on how masculine or feminine they are.

• Advertisement

1ZRed wrote: »
    True. Being effeminate doesn't doesn't automatically make you gay, I think that was a bad association there, though most likely unintentional on their part.

Personally, I don't particularly like campness in gay or straight lads. I don't care what your hole preference is, I just don't like the quality and find it hard to get on with them. I find it annoying to be stuck around them for long periods of time.

IZred, at the best of times I understand what you're saying, other times, I'm clueless. Lad, being camp? is there, its a considerable percentage of the gay community. FFS we're on this planet, not for a long time, yano? It's just, take everyone for who they are....all's good.

honestly? I think so much homophobia is dressed up as only hating the "effeminate" guys, how often do we hear the phrase "I don't care if you're gay, just don't act like it"? when people go on about feminine gays, they're not really going on about anyone in particular, they're piling all the negative traits they associate with gay people into one charicature and attacking that.

or maybe I don't like that because it's just plain old gender-policing, eg; men should be totally masculine all of the time and women should be totally feminine all of the time, and never shall they deviate. and that just irks me on a whole other level.

besides, being loud is going to be intrusive and annoying depending on the time and place, but being 'feminine' doesn't do anything to anyone, doesn't invade their space, and I would say that if someone is seriously annoyed that a guy is feminine then they must not be all that comfortable in themselves anyway.

so no, I don't see much validity in disliking someone based on how masculine or feminine they are.

I think you're going over the top here and looking for something that isn't there. You're also putting words in his mouth. His comment doesn't fall into the same bracket as this:
    "I don't care if you're gay, just don't act like it"?

People choose friends based on character traits they like. I couldn't go for a drink with a girl or guy who acts overly feminine. The same way I couldn't go for a drink with a guy or girl who acts overly masculine, or overly posh, or overly like a scumbag. Over the top character traits tend to annoy a lot of people. People who have over top character traits are usually over-compensating for something and are difficult to be around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

In that case he's a biggoted gob****e, fyi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭thiarfearr

I wouldn't say he's violent. He keeps the drunks in check. It's a proper local with regular alcos. None of the lads in there will **** with him.

Is that why he's so angry?

I think you're going over the top here and looking for something that isn't there.

You're right, I probably am.

it just annoys me how quickly so many people are to admonish any guy for being feminine, and not just 'over the top' as you say, society in general seems to detest any trait of femininity in guys. so yeah, I'm probably just using this as a springboard into a further rant about that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

You might not agree and you might not agree with disliking someone due to their "over-confidence" their "boringness" their "over opinionated" etc etc, but they are all personality traits and a dislike of that trait is completely valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

OP is a fag.

Lads, do ye know something? I'm after reading a couple of posts in this thread and I could take out the usual clause "I didn't fully understand". Jesus tonight, even in the slightest mention of whatever, it happens. It's like many things!...are you healthy? do you know love (both ways), are you human? do you react as a person does? if you do, then welcome to LIFE

You're right, I probably am.

it just annoys me how quickly so many people are to admonish any guy for being feminine, and not just 'over the top' as you say, society in general seems to detest any trait of femininity in guys. so yeah, I'm probably just using this as a springboard into a further rant about that

I see you're the mod of Transgender and I can definitely see where you're coming from in that context. There is a big difference between a guy feeling like he is a woman and someone being overly feminine. One is a character trait, the other is a complex psychological situation that nobody really understands apart from those that experience it. No comparison. I mean, Hyacinth Bucket was overly-feminine. Imagine going out for drinks with her :eek:

You might not agree and you might not agree with disliking someone due to their "over-confidence" their "boringness" their "over opinionated" etc etc, but they are all personality traits and a dislike of that trait is completely valid.
    see, you're automatically lumping it in with negative personality traits, and that's what I'm on about, that people automatically see femininity as negative. why is that? I also think it's a trait that people attack as a proxy, as if to mask their homophobia. so it's much more than not liking a "personality trait"

I see you're the mod of Transgender and I can definitely see where you're coming from in that context. There is a big difference between a guy feeling like he is a woman and someone being overly feminine. One is a character trait, the other is a complex psychological situation that nobody really understands apart from those that experience it. No comparison. I mean, Hyacinth Bucket was overly-feminine. Imagine going out for drinks with her :eek:

actually, I get the gender-policing crap on the other side of the coin, I get people telling me I'm not feminine enough, giving me crap about my piercings, how I dress, and it's seriously annoying. I hate to see it aimed at anyone.

but I never said there was a comparison between being trans, and someone being feminine, or masculine. there's a whole load of different people out there in the world, men who are feminine, women who are masculine, they might be gay or not, or they might be trans or not, and I think it's just sad that they're all expected to fit into two prescribed boxes.

ok, I realize I'm really starting to drag this off topic right now, so I'll try and veer it back...

yes, I hate it when people use gay as an insult, it's implying that being gay is bad. how would you feel if people started saying "That's so Irish" to mean stupid/bad/negative, think that would be fun?

actually, I get the gender-policing crap on the other side of the coin, I get people telling me I'm not feminine enough, giving me crap about my piercings, how I dress, and it's seriously annoying. I hate to see it aimed at anyone.

but I never said there was a comparison between being trans, and someone being feminine, or masculine. there's a whole load of different people out there in the world, men who are feminine, women who are masculine, they might be gay or not, or they might be trans or not, and I think it's just sad that they're all expected to fit into two prescribed boxes.

The thing is, I don't expect anyone to fit in any box. Pick your box and inevitably we may not get along if you pick a certain box. That's life. I'm not comfortable with the homophobia element being brought into it. I'm an equal opportunity disliker. :)

Thinking about it, one of my good friends from work is the kind of guy who would probably fit the camp gay man stereotype that people like perpetuate. Thinking about it further, I'd far prefer to hang out with an overly feminine guy than an overly masculine guy

Edit: I agree that we're going a bit OT.

ok, I realize I'm really starting to drag this off topic right now, so I'll try and veer it back...

yes, I hate it when people use gay as an insult, it's implying that being gay is bad. how would you feel if people started saying "That's so Irish" to mean stupid/bad/negative, think that would be fun?

What?

I'm sorry, but I'm going to refrain, simply because a Mod from the gay section of boards.ie has thanked that post. That's just complete nonsense. There is no association in such a comment. My good God! Granted, its Ah, but in fairness..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

kneemos wrote: »
    The fabulous part is that you will find it very offensive if you are slightly homophobic. It is used against people who do not want to be seen as being gay, by people who dislike gays.

Oh, and wtf is up with the word "homophobic"? Homophobics do not have a phobia of homosexuals, they are instead just hatefilled arseholes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement