Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay as a derogatory term.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What?

I'm sorry, but I'm going to refrain, simply because a Mod from the gay section of boards.ie has thanked that post. That's just complete nonsense. There is no association in such a comment. My good God! Granted, its Ah, but in fairness..

I don't get your point at all

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

1ZRed wrote: »
    True. Being effeminate doesn't doesn't automatically make you gay, I think that was a bad association there, though most likely unintentional on their part.

Personally, I don't particularly like campness in gay or straight lads. I don't care what your hole preference is, I just don't like the quality and find it hard to get on with them. I find it annoying to be stuck around them for long periods of time.

That's because you're a homophobe, not comfortable with your identity

....Only joking :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Years ago in a random retail job I was talking to a fellow employee (who was gay) Just bantering away. But I always remember saying "thats gay!" in reference to what we were talking about (That inner voice screamed 'you just said thats gay to a gay guy what are you doing!!??') while maintaining a expressionless face :pac:

always make me laugh when I think about it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

I don't get your point at all

I thanked your post because I know that people on this planet exist, regardless of how much compassion, no much how much empathy they show....a difference of opinion will always exist...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I thanked your post because I know that people on this planet exist, regardless of how much compassion, no much how much empathy they show....a difference of opinion will always exist...!

I still have no idea what you are trying to say

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I still have no idea what you are trying to say

No worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

IZred, at the best of times I understand what you're saying, other times, I'm clueless. Lad, being camp? is there, its a considerable percentage of the gay community. FFS we're on this planet, not for a long time, yano? It's just, take everyone for who they are....all's good.

It's kind of how I see everything, I'm a very easy going guy. That doesn't mean I have to always get on with people who are camp just because I'm gay myself and because they are a "considerable part of the gay community" - they are but they are in a minority compared to the rest of us lads who just blend into any other crowd of straight lads.

I have nothing against them and that's who they are, and I get that, I just don't mesh well with them, at least not the overly vocal, flamboyant ones. Not for me, but I respect that that's who they are and they can't help it, and that's grand. Do what you like, no bothers.

I have nothing against them

I that not?

IZred, at the best of times I understand what you're saying, other times, I'm clueless.
    I that not?

:pac:

• Advertisement

:pac:

For God's sake lad, find someone to love...rather spend your time to be sarcastic..

For God's sake lad, find someone to love...rather spend your time to be sarcastic..

Already found him, and he's doing a good enough job as well ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Gay is derogatory now? The fúckin cúnts.

Already found him, and he's doing a good enough job as well ;)

Hindsight is a great thing. Its a pity Microsoft hasn't developed a program to respond to such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Gay rumours are something of a catch 22, the more strenuously someone denies them then the more convinced everyone is that they're hiding something or that they're some screwed up homophobic bigot, when they're just annoyed about a falsehood.

Maybe not giving a damn is the best outlook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Links234 wrote: »
    ok, I realize I'm really starting to drag this off topic right now, so I'll try and veer it back...

yes, I hate it when people use gay as an insult, it's implying that being gay is bad. how would you feel if people started saying "That's so Irish" to mean stupid/bad/negative, think that would be fun?

People do this to me all the time. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

In relation to another point in the thread, men being feminine doesn't bother me. Men being incredibly camp does, simply because people who act that way annoy the hell out of me and I couldn't be arsed with them. Same goes for the female equivalant, the screechy drama queen. Headwreckers the lot of them. Does it make me a homophobe? Hell no. Does it mean I don't like a certain personality trait? Hell yes. As someone else pointed out, it's the same as not likeing someone for being too loud. Some people just don't click. People seriously need to stop finding things to be offended by. If someone doesn't like you for who you are, screw them, go find someone else to talk to.

• Advertisement

People do this to me all the time. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

But to be Irish isn't a negative thing, at least not now anyways. Saying something is so gay is meant as a negative -as in being gay isn't quite "right", and that idea still withholds in today's society.

I use it myself sometimes and I've feck all problems with people using it granted they mean no malice or other meaning behind it, just as long as those people are just having a harmless laugh with me and not just saying it very casually and unconsciously. Bar that, I don't see the harm in it because I think I'm well able to take the piss out of straight people as well so it's give and take as long as it's just harmless slagging.

Though I admit, I heard it said by a few lads the last day, though only once in fairness, and something was "ugh, so ****in' gay" to them. Ofc. It's that kind of use of it I don't really like that reinforces it as a negative. I don't hear it often said that way though, so that's a good thing at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

how come its ok to say gay as a derogatory term and not okay to say nigga as a positive term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

How about 'gay nigga'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I never knew 'christmas' was a derogatory term...

Advertisement