Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Word burning stove

• 28-12-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

I live in Dublin 15 and am thinking of installing a word burning stove in a room where I have a gas fire at present. The gas fire is fairly easily removed. I am not looking for a back boiler stove as I only want to heat the room.

I was very impressed by log burning stoves I saw in the south of France this Autumn/Winter. They burn a mixture of seasoned beech and oak there. Can I get a supply of seasoned beech and oak in my part of Dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

The only seasoned timber here is the stuff you see in garages/b & q and the like...its in netted bags and will be labeled.
    I get firewood from my coal man but its still very green and I have to stack it near the stove to dry it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Is it softwood or hardwood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Timber for a wood burning stove should be hardwood 2 years seasoned and a moisture content of less than 20 percent.There are companies out there supplying these a quick google search will find them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Jack180570

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Timber for a wood burning stove should be hardwood 2 years seasoned and a moisture content of less than 20 percent.There are companies out there supplying these a quick google search will find them

Hi Robbie. ... imho, any virgin wood, so long as it is prpoerly seasoned will burn nicely in a wood or multifuel stove. Softwood is the more popular choice as it is more plentiful and easier to season than hardwood... and is also, but not always, better value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭gaelicyoda

joolsveer wrote: »
    ... a word burning stove

Not a big literature fan, eh?

(sorry, couldn't resist! :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

Before you go too far, get your chimney checked to make sure it is suitable for a woodburning stove.

As for seasoned wood, it can be expensive to buy and in some cases you are paying for wood that isnt fully seasoned.

Advertisement