Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harddrive for Nas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

T-K-O wrote: »
    Anyone?

Any. If its network storage it isn't booting an OS or running software therefore doesn't need speed. Just get whatever is cheaper. Drives are pretty reliable these days

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Any. If its network storage it isn't booting an OS or running software therefore doesn't need speed. Just get whatever is cheaper. Drives are pretty reliable these days

Thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

except for seagate, who only carry a 1 year warranty on most of their drives.

if they're not confident in it, neither am I.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gaelicyoda

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    except for seagate, who only carry a 1 year warranty on most of their drives.

if they're not confident in it, neither am I.

That's a fair point, but just to offer some counter balance - almost all my dives are Seagate... both internal and external (AC and USB power supplied) - have had some for up to 7 years, and never an ounce of trouble with any of them.

Not had a SATA drive with them yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Diarmuid_K

Any of the top three here , these Western Digital Red Drives are made for NAS if you use a conventional HDD it will fail a lot faster than one of these or if you really want to protect your data A WD RE is made to last even longer and a lot more reliable they are made for enterprises that have there drives in use 24/7 but more expensive.
    With your system would recommend a 2Tb or 3TB (if you need the space) WD RED drive.

Thank you for all the replies..

I ordered the Western Digital 2TB last night. The Seagate was a few bucks cheaper but came with the same 2 year guarantee!

I opted for the WD

Looking forward to setting the NAS up

Advertisement