Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online banking - which bank offers the best service?

Options
  • 28-12-2012 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I'm currently with AIB and I think their online banking system is crap.

Particularly, I want to be able to view all the transactions that I have ever had on my bank account. I want it to be free, up to date, and in a convenient to use format.

Their eStatement service does not meet these requirements.

I also have issues with the way their site works in general, along with the "security" measures they use.

What are people's experiences with online banking in Ireland?
    Are there any banks out there that live in the 21st century when it comes to this stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

NIB is generally considered to be the best, but accounts cost. Currently Ulster is the only "free" current account left on the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Currently Ulster is the only "free" current account left on the Irish market.

There are plenty of free options if you are aged 12-17, a student, a graduate or aged 60+, which in aggregate encompass a large portion of the population. For everyone else, Ulster Bank is the only free option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Open24 with TSB is very handy for online banking, you can pay bills, top up your phone, transfer money into savings and 3rd party accounts and is very easy to access. I have never had any issues with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Have used Bank of Ireland, AIB, PTSB and NIB/Danske and the Danske system is a million miles ahead of the others.

On the flip side, they no longer have a physical presence so weight that up against what you want from a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Danske Bank is probably the best, although no mobile topup service and bill pay is limited.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

dublin daz wrote: »
    Danske Bank is probably the best, although no mobile topup service and bill pay is limited.
    plus one to Danske. Can compare it to BoI and EBS.
    Their app is brilliant. I don't think the lack of a branch network matters, their tie in with An Post offers me all I need from a bank.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Open24 with TSB is very handy for online banking, you can pay bills, top up your phone, transfer money into savings and 3rd party accounts and is very easy to access. I have never had any issues with it. :)

You can't top up three though.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

+1 for Danske if you can live with the PO Banking which suits my needs their online banking is the best. Irish banks just not at the races

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I've used other banks elsewhere in Europe & I honestly can't see what the big issue with AIB's online banking is?

Their mobile app's pretty decent. I use it a lot.
    Transactions appear to come up almost instantly when made by debit card.
    I can transfer money anywhere with an IBAN/BIC + the code device.
    Bill payment's pretty straight forward.
    Mobile top up to almost any network via the web / mobile app.

Their e-statement service's new, and doesn't go into archives and their transaction fees are absolutely outrageous but, other than that I don't see much issue with the technology on the AIB site. It's more just the rest of their service that I find annoying.

Bank of Ireland however have a really annoying layout and I find their system often quite hard to follow.

Advertisement