Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

shooting in dublin again

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Kinzig wrote: »
    The one he was shot with is banned, its an illegal firearm in the possession of a gangster:rolleyes::rolleyes:

What?!?

You mean to tell me people who go around shooting other people have little respect for the law?

I refuse to believe it.

No, we just need to pass a new law making guns illegal and that will be that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Kinzig wrote: »
    The one he was shot with is banned, its an illegal firearm in the possession of a gangster:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Right. We should ban gangsters so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

biko wrote: »
    I think it would be enough to ban guns in Stab City and Scumbagville.
    The rest of the country doesn't seem to have a particular gun problem.

This removing of guns will never happen and you know that as well as I do, it will never happen, as these guns are getting in through cracks where you cannot even see a crack so it will not happen.

It's up to law enforcement and to be honest the ****ing army should be brought in to deal with this, as it's the only way.

If any of you have a brighter idea then share it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

zenno wrote: »
    It's up to law enforcement and to be honest the ****ing army should be brought in to deal with this, as it's the only way.

The DF will not be used internally unless the sh1t totally hit the fan, this is not the case thus far. Criminals shooting criminals with normal folk getting killed in the crossfire is not enough to get the DF involved.

Its a matter for the AGS and their various branches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

The DF will not be used internally unless the sh1t totally hit the fan, this is not the case thus far. Criminals shooting criminals with normal folk getting killed in the crossfire is not enough to get the DF involved.

Its a matter for the AGS and their various branches.

I know, but what else can any of you suggest to deal with it ?

AGS and branch with their limited manpower and also the cutbacks within the ERU etc... it seems to me that most people would have the attitude of...let them kill each other and after a while the streets will be clean ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

What about some sort of conscription to the army before the scallys get involved with the gangs? Say teens who have a number of convictions/run-ins with the law before they're 18?

Just thinking out loud here. WOuldn't know if its feasible or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Larianne wrote: »
    What about some sort of conscription to the army before the scallys get involved with the gangs? Say teens who have a number of convictions/run-ins with the law before they're 18?

Moving targets?:pac:

zenno wrote: »
    I know, but what else can any of you suggest to deal with it ?

AGS and branch with their limited manpower and also the cutbacks within the ERU etc... it seems to me that most people would have the attitude of...let them kill each other and after a while the streets will be clean ?

There is zero deterrent in this country for criminals. The laws need to change. I am in favour of the death penalty for certain crimes, its not a popular opinion but if it was in effect for the likes of a pre meditated murder, I would imagine that these "pop and drop" shootings would be substantially reduced.

Everyday we hear of people being arrested for various crimes who are seen leniently by the courts. Their defence....not enough room in the clinker. Well if theres not enough room, there is plenty to do on the streets...like clean them. Most repeat offenders have a conviction list the length of my arm. Even something as radical as an offenders families welfare payments being substantially reduced / denied for heinous crimes. This obviously wont sit well with others but fcuk them.

Why should these scumbags and their families get away with the sh1t that they pull. Oh and before someone chimes in with "ah no need to punish a law abiding family just because of one bad egg"........bollox.

Crime most definately does pay in Ireland. The Government needs to radically change their punishment / deterrent policy.......but it looks like its already too late.

Not a hope. This may work for a small percentage but not the masses. To effectively train a civillian to a soldier it takes 6-9 months, its the training staff and logistics of such an endeavor would require a shed load of funding. The DF budget is relatively small and the country just couldnt afford to do it.

Not only that, the problem there is, even if no weapon training is involved, you may be sending well trained scumbags back out onto the street.....defo not what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I am not in favour of drugs. However, I am starting to wonder what effect legalising and regulating some of the softer drugs might have on the income stream of these gangs? I would be in favour of much harsher penalties on dealers of harder more addictive drugs. I would also think there would need to be some degree of personal responsibility that recreational use of the softer drugs would rule people out of certain jobs.

Rabble, rabble, alcohol, rabble, unfair, blah. Let's just get that out the way.

• Advertisement

Not a hope. This may work for a small percentage but not the masses. To effectively train a civillian to a soldier it takes 6-9 months, its the training staff and logistics of such an endeavor would require a shed load of funding. The DF budget is relatively small and the country just couldnt afford to do it.

Not only that, the problem there is, even if no weapon training is involved, you may be sending well trained scumbags back out onto the street.....defo not what you want.

Worked in Police Academy. :pac:

I don't know the psychology of army training but would it not work on a number of them as its getting them out of their home environment and they would get education and a variety of careers could be made available to them.

Not the same thing, but a good few unruly lads I went to school with ended up joining the army and they did very well for themselves.

Worked in Police Academy. :pac:

I don't know the psychology of army training but would it not work on a number of them as its getting them out of their home environment and they would get education and a variety of careers could be made available to them.

Not the same thing, but a good few unruly lads I went to school with ended up joining the army and they did very well for themselves.

Ya see thats two very seperate situations.
    • Being turfed into a strict military environment for the purposes of reform.
    • Voluntarily joing the DF in the hope of becoming a soldier for a career.
    Back in the day, Im led to believe that some people who came infront of a judge did infact have a choice between a jail sentance or a stint in the army.

The psychology behind military training is to isolate you from what you are comfortable with, mentally break you down by strict discipline, build you up back up the way they want you. I dont care what anyone says, if trained right, you are not the same as when you went in.

There is a possibility that this may work to reform people. For this to work, we would need to increase our numbers, which the Government wont increase because of "funds". A 12 month "rotating door" bootcamp may be a good idea. It could introduce soldier like qualities and self belief and esteem to these lost youngsters.....but what happens after their time is up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Right. We should ban gangsters so.

Nah, a ban on daft suggestions would help though:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

No, we just need to pass a new law making guns illegal and that will be that

Right then we will make them doubly illegal, that will sort it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Ban something, ffs

Ya see thats two very seperate situations.
    • Being turfed into a strict military environment for the purposes of reform.
    • Voluntarily joing the DF in the hope of becoming a soldier for a career.
    Back in the day, Im led to believe that some people who came infront of a judge did infact have a choice between a jail sentance or a stint in the army.

The psychology behind military training is to isolate you from what you are comfortable with, mentally break you down by strict discipline, build you up back up the way they want you. I dont care what anyone says, if trained right, you are not the same as when you went in.

There is a possibility that this may work to reform people. For this to work, we would need to increase our numbers, which the Government wont increase because of "funds". A 12 month "rotating door" bootcamp may be a good idea. It could introduce soldier like qualities and self belief and esteem to these lost youngsters.....but what happens after their time is up?

So there is a chance it could work?

I guess after their training, there would have to be opportunties available to them, a support system of some sort.

Yeah, I'm dreaming here I know, but if people stopped giving up on these kids, something might change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Ban something, ffs

What about we ban shooting people?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

Im surprised there isnt the usual hard men of AHs jumping on the band wagan here and saying how they probably deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭greenheart

There is zero deterrent in this country for criminals.

The more charges they have the harder they think they are, they wear them like a badge of honour, get goal time they don't care - time to learn the trade and make connections.
    I don't know what the answer is but the government need to focus on the next generation to stop Dublin becoming like London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    What about we ban shooting people?

What, you mean like, make it illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

UCDVet wrote: »
    These shootings would stop if we made owning a gun illegal.

Yeah, these ne'er do wells would sit up and take notice then..:rolleyes:

Advertisement