Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coding for kids

Options
  • 28-12-2012 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

I am looking for some advice. Hope this is the right place.

My daughter (11) has recently expressed an interest in learning to code. She has no experience in programming, and I only learnt enough when I was in college to pass my exams (Java and VBA. I can program the formulae in Excel, but that is not the same thing).

I have seen ads for Coder Dojo both in college and in the papers. I am wondering if anybody has any experience with these Dojos, and what the skill levels required are. Also, what languages do they teach, and what are the costs involved?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 momahony

Have heard good reports about the Dojo's.

Apparently they're throughout Ireland and well run. So a friend of mine told me. Her kids enjoyed them and found them beneficial. Think she told me that she had to stay with them and they needed a laptop.

Must ask her again about them, but they enjoyed the classes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Clauric wrote: »
    I am looking for some advice. Hope this is the right place.

My daughter (11) has recently expressed an interest in learning to code. She has no experience in programming, and I only learnt enough when I was in college to pass my exams (Java and VBA. I can program the formulae in Excel, but that is not the same thing).

I have seen ads for Coder Dojo both in college and in the papers. I am wondering if anybody has any experience with these Dojos, and what the skill levels required are. Also, what languages do they teach, and what are the costs involved?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Check out scratch programming. Good for children, simple to use and covers the basics of programming. Most importantly there are lots of goals and projects online for free. You could easily learn along side your child as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Clauric wrote: »
    I volunteer at the Kilkenny Dojo (or mentor as they call it), all programming at the moment is done in python which is a great language for kids to learn when they're starting out. We'll eventually branch out into other languages I'm sure. No prior knowledge is required and it's free. Those last two points will be uniform across all dojos, but I believe some ask for a donation. Best thing is just to bring her to one and see if she enjoys it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

If your going to teach anyone programming start out with a clear goal before you start. Programming for a noob is boring until you can have a target to aim for. I don't just mean "understand if statements by 3PM". For example in scratch start out with a story like "a guy walks to the shops and meets three animals along the way". I found the scratch program is great for telling stories and that kind of stuff is what kids love.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I use Scratch with kids from 2nd class up. It's free to download and gives some good results easily enough. We tried "code academy" and it didn't appeal at all. The book"Scratch from Scratch" is great,the kids can teach themselves. http://www.saorog.com/
    Have a look at scratch.ie too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jgh_

Scratch looks pretty awesome

I seem to remember BASIC being fun as a kid...but you know things have changed since then lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ga2k10

I go to a Dojo in Cork and they teach all sorts, I learned HTML and i'm in the middle of learning CSS and Javascript, they really are helpful and there is no skill level required

Advertisement