Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tricky one

Options
  • 28-12-2012 11:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭

I had to break into the house next door today. It's all but abandoned, the old lady that lived there having been Put into care last year. There's a burst pipe somewhere in the wall between our houses and it's not ours, but there's huge damp patches and little dribbles of water running down our front and back room walls. I wanted to find the water mains to turn it off. Couldn't find it. Now I've a small window I've broken to deal with. We have no way of contacting the family of the lady. Last year we had to replace 5 roof tiles on her roof cos it was leaking into our house. I'm sorta scared now. Should I leave a note? Or go tell the cops what I've done? I am a concerned neighbor, but it is interfering with our house. Just worried how badly I've crossed a line.
    Any ideas what I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The main water pipe is usually located under the kitchen sink. It would be probably in the same location as your house. Once you do this, leave the taps run dry.

As for the broken window, cover it with a small square bit of wood, and glue it into place.

If you mention it to anyone that you broke into the house, you leave yourself open to any damage that has been done so far, or any damage that happens in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I'd call the guards and tell them you think someone broke in, let them contact the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Why didn't you turn it off out on the pavement? Is there no stopcock?

You should turn it off there now anyway. Is it still leaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Senna wrote: »
    I'd call the guards and tell them you think someone broke in, let them contact the family.

And if it is later proven that the OP was the one who broke in, where does that leave them? Considering they will have given a false statement to the Gardai like...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/planning_and_development_in_ireland/copy_of_derelict_sites_and_dangerous_structures.html

I think you should go to your local council with this information, tell them that the property is derelict and is damaging your house, and could they at least turn off the water.

Don't mention the window unless they ask, but if they do ask then tell them you broke it in an effort to find the source of the damp in your house.

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    And if it is later proven that the OP was the one who broke in, where does that leave them? Considering they will have given a false statement to the Gardai like...

Of course they'll have Colombo on the case right away:rolleyes:
    The OP was right to stop the water damaging his property, I'd bet the abandoned house isn't insured and chasing after the family would lead no where.
    I cant see the guards being bother with a break in at an abandoned house, but at least they may be able to contact the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

get in there and isolate the water at the street or hot press and/or under the sink. Drain the water tanks if any and leavce the property. Call the local coco and report the problem and then stay low.

Why should a person protecting their property be punished? Dont volunteer information and dont fess up. The system is programmed to punish you so dont be so stupid. You wont get rewarded for intuitive thinking because the system isnt trained in such a thing. They will go through process and string you up and then pat them selves on the back for catching a criminal.

use an ananymous method to report and deny any knowledge if questioned.

Are you bad? no, you are just doing the best for you and your family in the face of uneducated and stupid people.

Dont submit yoursef to such a low level of unintelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

If this situation keeps up, does the OP qualify for Adverse possession after a while?

Slydice wrote: »
    If this situation keeps up, does the OP qualify for Adverse possession after a while?

Is that not "squatters rights"? I think the OP would need to actually live in the abandoned house for 12yrs to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Is that not "squatters rights"? I think the OP would need to actually live in the abandoned house for 12yrs to qualify.

Didn't Pat Kenny just put a new gate on that field beside his house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Of course they'll have Colombo on the case right away:rolleyes:
    The OP was right to stop the water damaging his property, I'd bet the abandoned house isn't insured and chasing after the family would lead no where.
    I cant see the guards being bother with a break in at an abandoned house, but at least they may be able to contact the family.

I'm not saying what the OP did was wrong and I'm not saying that they should not contact the Gardai. What I'm saying is that they should not give a false statement to the Gardai. If they do end investigating this break in and it turns out that it was the OP then how do you think that would go down? The Gardai don't like being lied to, and in this case there is no need for it.

Advertisement