Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Career path

Options
  • 29-12-2012 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all,

I am looking into breaking into a career in IT. I am currently working in finance but would like to make the change to IT.

Can anybody offer me some advice as to how to break into this sector and what possible courses I should try. Unfortunately I can only study part time and some courses in the region of 3k a year are far too expensive.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

nate19841 wrote: »
    I am looking into breaking into a career in IT.
    Can you be a bit more specific? What exactly is it that you want to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nate19841

djpbarry wrote: »
    Can you be a bit more specific? What exactly is it that you want to do?

Thanks for the reply, was thinking programming and software development.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

A lot of colleges and universities offer post-grad conversion programmes for people who already have a degree in an unrelated field.

Sart by looking at your local institute's website.

Have you ever tried programming before? Having a bash at it in your own time might help you to narrow down your options, although I would point out that forking out on an expensive course is by no means essential in order to break into the software industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nate19841

I have dabbled with the likes of java years ago and for whatever reason never followed through with it.

What are the entry routes to the software industry?

Thanks for your response

• Advertisement

I have dabbled with the likes of java years ago and for whatever reason never followed through with it.
    Well that's not a great start! But, I would suggest you start dabbling again. You need to be sure you actually enjoy programming (because a lot of people hate it) before you decide to steer your career in that direction.
    What are the entry routes to the software industry?
    An ability to programme tops the list of requirements! Have a look at entry-level positions (there are plenty in the UK & Ireland right now) to get a feel for what you would need to familiarise yourself with.

Advertisement