Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Had Travellers at my Door Tonight Looking for a Hand-Out

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭spikethedog

Smidge wrote: »
    What part of the country did this happen in??

North county Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I've never met one who contributes anything to society whatsoever. Might be controversial but surely it can't be denied that Ireland would be a better place without Travellers? I'm sure they're not all thieving and such, but a huge proportion definitely are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Biggins wrote: »
    If we were in a car - are we all not travellers at some point technically? ;)

Previous poster has the right idea.
    Best to inform the Gardi that persons of suspicion are in the area.
    Even better if a car number could be supplied.

I had a look through the thread and the only information I've seen that the OP has given is "travellers are looking for money". My guess is they were trying to sell him something. I get a lot of people to my door trying to sell me things, travellers and non-travellers. I don't think the OP should waste our thinly-spread Gardai's time with such pissy nonsense tbh.

Op I'm sure if your door is able to open then it is also able to close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I've had my fill of travellers having spent a full day in A&E and seen the disgraceful carryon and fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Really should have read the whole thread before posting... :o

I agree with coletrain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

1210m5g wrote: »

How did they repay this kindness? One of them took a **** on our doorstep .

They tend to do that a lot even on their own doorsteps. I used to work on a halting site and have seen them do it outside their own trailers even though they have toilets. They've even done it in a playground purposely built for their own children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I've had my fill of travellers having spent a full day in A&E and seen the disgraceful carryon and fights.

Hope nothing too serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    oh yes definitely , what else could they be doing sure. ...

They probably want to sell his kidneys on Ebay as well.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

This thread will probably get locked because you're not allowed make threads about travelers here I notice unless you say they're great and multicultural

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Hippies! wrote: »
    This thread will probably get locked because you're not allowed make threads about travelers here I notice unless you say they're great and mulch-cultrual

they're great and mulch-cultural. :)

they're great and mulch-cultural. :)

They are :D I love the mulch of their culturalness.

Thread stays open. :pac:

This thread will probably get locked because you're not allowed make threads about travelers here I notice unless you say they're great and multicultural

Or perhaps because it's just four pages of bigoted ranting with no actual content.

This thread will probably get locked because you're not allowed make threads about travelers here I notice unless you say they're great and mulch-cultrual

That is one major gripe I have with boards.
    You can't say anything bad about 'anyone else' - But you can piss and moan about the irish.

I always remember reading a thread on here about how a taxi driver over-charged someone on a fare. The person mentioned that the driver was african. Just giving the story details. One of the first replies was "i dont see why him being african has anything to do with it"? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Or perhaps because it's just four pages of bigoted ranting with no actual content.

Just realism. I'd like if it was otherwise.

perhaps but where will the bigots go then? where will wethey go :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Do you think Ireland is a better place for having travellers? If yes, why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Very sweet of what your mother :) You should be lucky to have a mother like that
    But the last 2 sentences make me laugh and i am sorry if it means serious to you and i will tell you why it made me laugh call me imature but hey ;)

I was laughing when i was writing it, i see the humor in everything so this still cracks me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

T
    I always remember reading a thread on here about how a taxi driver over-charged someone on a fare. The person mentioned that the driver was african. Just giving the story details. One of the first replies was "i dont see why him being african has anything to do with it"? :rolleyes:

No. The poster in the taxi driver case was a blatant racist and edited her posts afterwards to remove her racist comments so she wouldn't get banned. She didn't just give the details of the story.

Bigoted.
    Its an interesting word. Perhaps not the meaning of the word but how much its used. Usually used wrong.

For example, a common usage: using it because one simply disagrees with others.

Smidge wrote: »
    Where abouts was this OP?

in limerick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

That is one major gripe I have with boards.
    You can't say anything bad about 'anyone else' - But you can piss and moan about the irish.

No, boards just has this crazy policy about not being used as a platform for people to spit venom and vitriol about entire groups of people. That's what stormfront is for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Man City 10

1210m5g wrote: »
    I was laughing when i was writing it, i see the humor in everything so this still cracks me up.

Are you being sarcastic because like I said only the last 2 sentences made me laugh if they do to my door I would laugh at it aswell prob because i am a kid or not i do not know but i am very sorry if i had hurt your feelings :(

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

pikeys are all the same, SCUM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Because this "majority" have bigoted ignorant views
    I've had to mop up the blood of travellers after they drank in the pub that I worked in at the time. They have destroyed local amenities. They have been forcibly removed from nearby council housing.

Ever think that the majority hate them because a large percentage of the travellers who interact with us are thieving scum?
    Because stereotypes.
    I can say "all blacks are criminals" based on the stereotype of black gangs from America.
    Because stereotypes.
    I can say "all neo-nazis are criminals" based on the stereotype of white pride gangs from America.
    he said ah you look like a fella with a few Bob? When i replied well the garda are not really paid that well
    Must remember that line :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

The sizeable majority of troublemakers in the traveller community could take up a campaign of mutilation and genocide and I bet you would still post the above. Just because their crimes are usually petty, doesn't mean the average Irish person shouldn't be allowed to condemn it.

orestes wrote: »
    No, boards just has this crazy policy about not being used as a platform for people to spit venom and vitriol about entire groups of people. That's what stormfront is for.

Ya but the OP has a valid thread? yes? whoever posts venom etc should be infracted or banned whatever but I don't see anything wrong with the OP's original post.

Bigoted.
    Its an interesting word. Perhaps not the meaning of the word but how much its used. Usually used wrong.

For example, a common usage: using it because one simply disagrees with others.

Disagree with what? The issue being discussed in the thread? There isn't one to disagree with. It's just a load of people slagging off one section of society. Write this down in your book of definitions directly under the word "bigoted".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Senna wrote: »
    Where's an Alsatian when you need one.

First thing they do is poison the dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What percentage of the population is made up of travellers?

I try and judge people as I find them, have had plenty of interaction with travellers some good, some not so good. Wouldn't judge the entire group by the actions of some but there does seem to be a lot of travellers around the country involved in illegal activity, it can't be the same people time and again. It does seem to be that a large proportion of them are involved in dodgy dealings.

I saw a black lad walking his dog earlier. The dog sh1t in the grass and the black lad didn't clean it up. Aren't the blacks a right load of bastards?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Disagree with what? The issue being discussed in the thread? There isn't one to disagree with. It's just a load of people slagging off one section of society. Write this down in your book of definitions directly under the word "bigoted".
    Do you think Ireland is a better place for having travellers? If yes, why?

Can you answer this please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Tinkers are well known for being dodgy for a reason.

Ya but the OP has a valid thread? yes? whoever posts venom etc should be infracted or banned whatever but I don't see anything wrong with the OP's original post.

What does the fact that they were travellers have to do with anything? The OP could just have easily read "had beggers at my door", but by identifying them as travellers the course of the thread is already pre-determined as being a traveller-bashing fukkfest of bile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Happened to us about 3 days ago at about 6.Just said no and closed the door. There was 2 or 3 of them doing the rounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Maybe its people giving their opinion based on their interactions? If you feel so strongly give a counter opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

tony81 wrote: »
    First thing they do is poison the dogs.

Only after they mistreat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I saw a black lad walking his dog earlier. The dog sh1t in the grass and the black lad didn't clean it up. Aren't the blacks a right load of bastards?

Ah, but maybe he was just fertilizing the grass? :pac:

I'll be serious for a second,
    Have you had any dealings with travellers?

(awaits lies ;) )

What does the fact that they were travellers have to do with anything? The OP could just have easily read "had beggers at my door", but by identifying them as travellers the course of the thread is already pre-determined as being a traveller-bashing fukkfest of bile.
    Because they were a ****ing traveller. It's no different than saying man or woman at my door instead of person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Hey lads. The mds are all drunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

AG2R wrote: »
    Because they were a ****ing traveller. It's no different than saying man or woman at my door instead of person.

He sort of does have a point though.
    The fact that they're travellers doesn't make a difference.
    The fact that they were in jewellery and were begging, that would make a difference.

TheUsual wrote: »
    Hey lads. The mds are all drunk

After Hours staff party tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Alsations are mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I have had positive and negative interactions with the travelling community.
    But just one point on you above post and in relation to the OP's original post.

How many other sections of society do this?
    And by this I mean knocking on strangers door and asking for money?

And it isn't usually one person but several which can be seen as intimidating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Padraig Nally is the only AH mod on duty tonite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Are you being sarcastic because like I said only the last 2 sentences made me laugh if they do to my door I would laugh at it aswell prob because i am a kid or not i do not know but i am very sorry if i had hurt your feelings :(

Not been sarcastic, i actually do think its a funny story.

He sort of does have a point though.
    The fact that they're travellers doesn't make a difference.
    The fact that they were in jewellery and were begging, that would make a difference.
    They have form for it, not all travellers. I'm not saying that and it's not only travellers either that do it, but its a common tactic when youre stalking a house to check around the area and find the times people are home and aren't home. I know nothing is really clear apart from they knocked looking for money but my first thought would be this lot are up to something

AG2R wrote: »

Man or woman doesn't have the same sterotypical overtones as traveller does. Putting traveller in there at the start and talking about them doing something scummy instantly gets people thinking traveller=scum, creating a thread of self-fulfilling prophecy. It's not discussion, it's pitchfork-inciting ranting playing to negative sterotypes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

eviltwin wrote: »
    What percentage of the population is made up of travellers?
    The total number of Irish Travellers enumerated in April 2011 was 29,573 - accounting for just over half of one per cent (0.6%) of the total population.
    http://www.cso.ie/en/newsandevents/pressreleases/2012pressreleases/pressreleasecensus2011profile7religionethnicityandirishtravellers/

Department of Health and Irish Prison Service
    Travellers accounted for 8.7% of the prison population; according to Traveller families’ responses to the AITHS census, Travellers accounted for 4.6% of the prison population (Table 4). It is not possible to verify which source provides the true number of Travellers in prison, and subsequent analysis was carried out using both figures.

http://www.dohc.ie/publications/aiths2010/TR2/AITHS2010_TechnicalReport2_HR_PartC.pdf?direct=1

Issues with domestic violence :(
    49% of admissions to women’s refuges are Travellers (according to the 2002 census Travellers account for just 0.6% of the entire population)
    Of those turned away from refuges, 46% were for reasons other than
    the refuges being full.
    http://www.amen.ie/Papers/15270.htm

Problems aplenty

What are Pavee Points headlines today? :)
    History project
    History project
    History project
    Criminalizing prostitution
    Roma and education
    Warning about collections for Pavee Point
    Roma and children

Man or woman doesn't have the same sterotypical overtones as traveller does. Putting traveller in there at the start and talking about them doing something scummy instantly gets people thinking traveller=scum, creating a thread of self-fulfilling prophecy. It's not discussion, it's pitchfork-inciting ranting playing to negative sterotypes.

Who created these negative sterotypes and why are they constantly brought up?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement