Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Sale

Options
  • 29-12-2012 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Three have a few phones on sale at the moment, the Samsung Omnia 7 for €169 and the Nokia 800 and HTC Desire S both for €149. I'm interested in replacing my flaky X10 with a budget of around 200 so these are looking good.

Any recommendations for which one to go for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Verwolff

bluesfan wrote: »
    Three have a few phones on sale at the moment, the Samsung Omnia 7 for €169 and the Nokia 800 and HTC Desire S both for €149. I'm interested in replacing my flaky X10 with a budget of around 200 so these are looking good.

Any recommendations for which one to go for?

Hope you are aware that x10 is android phone, so if you used to it, don't change to windows or you'll be really disappointed. Omnia 7 and Nokia 800 are windows phones so I'd choose Desire S which is good android phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Where's the Desire S going cheap ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

gcgirl wrote: »
    Where's the Desire S going cheap ?

http://www.three.ie/deals/january-sales.html

Three, not all of them are available online though.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

After studying these phones I'm still undecided. the Nokia 800 looks the best and windows 7 looks good I'm worried about buying a phone with what could be a dead operating system. I might hang on for a few months and see what new mid range or budget phones make an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

HTC 8s would be a safer bet than the omina or lumina. It's got Windows's 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭RollYerOwn

I rang all the stores in Dublin looking for the Desire S - none have it. Couldn't get the Nokia 800 either. So I got the Omnia 7. Owned it for less than a week now.

It's a beautiful sleek phone. However I've already had a couple of gripes with it. Had to update the OS as - well - I spent a couple of hours talking to India trying to get the problems with the buggy interface sorted (eventually they agreed they couldn't fix it and that I had to bring it in to Henry St for a repair) - once the updates to Mango were complete this sorted itself out and I didn't have to bring it in.

The battery lasts a day. So charge every night.

Right now I can't believe that the alarm doesn't work when the phone is off. Which effectively means there is no alarm on the phone as the battery runs down if left on to use the alarm and I don't choose to sleep with a phone plugged into the mains next to my head. Pretty basic oversight.

I am now charging up my 7 year old basic Nokia mobile to use as an alarm which DOES work when the phone is off.

Pfft.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

The thing with the alarm not working when the phone is switched off isnt just an Omnia thing. This is the way most, if not all, current smartphones work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

bluesfan wrote: »
    The thing with the alarm not working when the phone is switched off isnt just an Omnia thing. This is the way most, if not all, current smartphones work.

No thats not the case at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

You're saying that you can make the phone turn on for an alarm or reminder? Because AFAIK that is not the case anymore, it simply can't be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

The last phone that I had where the alarm would go off when the phone was off was the old reliable 3310. Nothing else since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I thought all the smartphones were like that now.. least with the Samsungs, they won't go off unless the phone is either in flight mode or left on...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭RollYerOwn

...AFAIK it simply can't be done.

There's the entrepreneurial attitude that brought us the likes of ...

Anyway, really? Why not? Seems like it shouldn't be too much to expect.

Nokia x3 did. It was smartish even if it couldn't make your dinner and order your taxi at the same time. All my previous stupid phones could...

• Site Banned Posts: 11 muller21

i would recommend asking 3 on twitter for advise. I used that service for the firest time this week and found them really helpful. Very quick replies also.

Advertisement