Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone please explain the workings of A&E UCHG please?

Options
  • 29-12-2012 2:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Having sat in A&E with someone for 8 hours today (they have a serious condition and were sent in by their GP with a letter) and then the nurses telling the person that they won't be seen for at least another 8 hours...I am BAFFLED as to how this system works!!!!!

People seem to be marching in on front of the person I am with and getting seen to. We have asked where in the queue my relative is and we are told they are not going to be seen for hours and hours.

And yet,...a group of clearly drunk people have come in..saw a family they are clearly feuding with and a bit of hassle started. And all of a sudden they are whisked away into the treatment rooms. Seems to me that if you cause trouble you will get seen to quicker.

The whole system is a shambles. Yes I know it's busy in there, understaffed etc...but my relative is seriously sick and in need of urgent treatment and it's going to be 'hours and hours' more before they are seen to. He is exhausted and all he has is a plastic chair to sit on in the middle of the A&E waiting room for the past 8 hours and for another 8 hours too by the sounds of it.

Is A&E always like this???......is this just UCHG or a usual thing with hospitals???? I'm gobsmacked...it's just 3rd world carry on here....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

Having sat in A&E with someone for 8 hours today (they have a serious condition and were sent in by their GP with a letter) and then the nurses telling the person that they won't be seen for at least another 8 hours...I am BAFFLED as to how this system works!!!!!

People seem to be marching in on front of the person I am with and getting seen to. We have asked where in the queue my relative is and we are told they are not going to be seen for hours and hours.

And yet,...a group of clearly drunk people have come in..saw a family they are clearly feuding with and a bit of hassle started. And all of a sudden they are whisked away into the treatment rooms. Seems to me that if you cause trouble you will get seen to quicker.

The whole system is a shambles. Yes I know it's busy in there, understaffed etc...but my relative is seriously sick and in need of urgent treatment and it's going to be 'hours and hours' more before they are seen to. He is exhausted and all he has is a plastic chair to sit on in the middle of the A&E waiting room for the past 8 hours and for another 8 hours too by the sounds of it.

Is A&E always like this???......is this just UCHG or a usual thing with hospitals???? I'm gobsmacked...it's just 3rd world carry on here....

I'v been to A+E five times in UCHG and have had experiences like you.. I used to give out about it so much till I was waiting for an x-ray one day and a nurse was with a patient that she seemed to know and was literally crying about how bad it was,and how the nurses/doctors don't care in there that's they only care about themselves and going home.

Was quiet star struct to hear that from a nurse telling a patient. Made me think about it a bit more!

Its a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Im not trying to be smart now but if they are that bad surely they are going to be seen soon and if not would you not just kick up a grand stink and make they be seen if thats how it does work up there, feel sorry for you stuck up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Im not trying to be smart now but if they are that bad surely they are going to be seen soon and if not would you not just kick up a grand stink and make they be seen if thats how it does work up there, feel sorry for you stuck up there.

Trust me, he is bad. The triage nurse and another nurse were saying he would need to go to the medical assessment unit ASAP but no joy. We are trying to kick up and get him seen to-it's incredibly frustrating. In fairness the staff have their work cut out for them trying to keep fights under control-the Gardaí have been in twice from what I have seen.

It's a joke. He wouldn't be here only he is so sick and his GP referred him here. I'm just completely bamboozled as to why he is not a top priority to be seen on their list. They insist he is but as they are so busy he has to wait. I mean, one could actually die out in the waiting room from lack of being seen. It's just baffling.

From what I am seeing...anyone who causes trouble gets whisked into a treatment room straight away. And all these drunken egits coming in....honestly, I am gobsmacked.

I mean, how sick do you actually need to be to get seen to ASAP?...imminent death??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Cause some trouble then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Cause some trouble then.

How helpful.....

Keep positive for your sick friends sake. It's a tough process.... Drinkers should definitely be organised seperately. Any more about that "drunk tank" they were in talks about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭confusedquark

Sorry to hear about your experience, hope your relative is ok. Yes, the system is a shambles, it's very much a staffing and capacity issue. I've worked in the A&E in Mullingar, and assume UCHG works much the same.

Patients are triaged in categories 1-5 depending on how serious the triage nurse considers their problem to be. Category 1's are medical emergencies, such as cardiac arrests and heart attacks, that usually come in via ambulances. Category 2's are life-threatening conditions, such as chest pains, possible strokes, severe shortness of breath, etc. Category 3 patients can still be very unwell, but are deemed to have something not acutely life threatening, e.g. chest infection, abdominal pain. Category 4 patients tend to be well, but have something relatively minor, such as a finger injury. Category 5 then tend to be people who probably shouldn't be in A&E.

So, when somebody comes in, they're triaged and put into a certain category, and people in the categories above them will be given priority, even if they come in later. It's ridiculous that drunk people and trouble-makers have to be accommodated above people who fit into higher categories, but unfortunately that's a security issue and it's not safe to leave those people in the waiting area with others, and it's also not safe/moral to kick them out of A&E when they still need to be seen.

Depending on how busy A&E is, you could have several people in who are Category 2, and they'll all have to be seen before you can get to the Category 3 patients, and then there could already be 10 Category 3 patients ahead of you in the queue, and then more Category 2 patients could come in in between. Thankfully there aren't too many Category 1 emergencies, but when there are, everything gets held up further. I'm not sure how well UCHG is staffed, but there are often are only 2 or 3 A&E doctors working, and it can take a good half an hour to assess a patient properly, and then the need to do bloods, request x-rays, chase up on the results, and start treatment etc. With the A&E doctor staffing crisis, many posts are left unfilled, and replacement locums aren't always available (for one reason or another). Being even one doctor short has a huge impact on waiting times.

Unfortunately with all the cut-backs and talk of the hospital expenditure bills, things aren't going to get better. But it's not for lack of trying on the part of the doctors and nurses.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

had to bring my husband in there on xmas nite cos he had a seriousely bad pain in bowl area, his stomache was swelling so much cos he couldnt go to the toilet, went to west doc first was seen strait away and he was given a letter to go to A and E. he was seen by nurse in triage after 10 mins he didnt come back out cos he fainted on to the floor a nd getting very sick ,i heard the comotion and was let in to where he was on the floor :eek:shock. never seen him like that in my 10yrs that i know him. he was put on a bed like trolly, was put into a cubicle waiting for doc . i cant remeber the time line cos i was kept busey with foning my 15yr and 9yrold to make sure that they were ok on christmas night..doc came and gave him 2 injections for relaxing the tummy and stop the sickness, any time i went out side to call the boys the waitingarea was empty but 5mins later it was half full,, there were people there that could have waited for their GP, i was listening to their pains and woo,s cos all that there is between us and them is a curtain..the nurse,s were getting through the patience in a quick pace. the ambulance men and wemon were very busey that night aswell. saw few nasty things ..the nurses had a smile and a nice things to say to the patience even though they have being on their feet 12hrs.

Sorry to hear about your experience, hope your relative is ok. Yes, the system is a shambles, it's very much a staffing and capacity issue. I've worked in the A&E in Mullingar, and assume UCHG works much the same.

Patients are triaged in categories 1-5 depending on how serious the triage nurse considers their problem to be. Category 1's are medical emergencies, such as cardiac arrests and heart attacks, that usually come in via ambulances. Category 2's are life-threatening conditions, such as chest pains, possible strokes, severe shortness of breath, etc. Category 3 patients can still be very unwell, but are deemed to have something not acutely life threatening, e.g. chest infection, abdominal pain. Category 4 patients tend to be well, but have something relatively minor, such as a finger injury. Category 5 then tend to be people who probably shouldn't be in A&E.

So, when somebody comes in, they're triaged and put into a certain category, and people in the categories above them will be given priority, even if they come in later. It's ridiculous that drunk people and trouble-makers have to be accommodated above people who fit into higher categories, but unfortunately that's a security issue and it's not safe to leave those people in the waiting area with others, and it's also not safe/moral to kick them out of A&E when they still need to be seen.

Depending on how busy A&E is, you could have several people in who are Category 2, and they'll all have to be seen before you can get to the Category 3 patients, and then there could already be 10 Category 3 patients ahead of you in the queue, and then more Category 2 patients could come in in between. Thankfully there aren't too many Category 1 emergencies, but when there are, everything gets held up further. I'm not sure how well UCHG is staffed, but there are often are only 2 or 3 A&E doctors working, and it can take a good half an hour to assess a patient properly, and then the need to do bloods, request x-rays, chase up on the results, and start treatment etc. With the A&E doctor staffing crisis, many posts are left unfilled, and replacement locums aren't always available (for one reason or another). Being even one doctor short has a huge impact on waiting times.

Unfortunately with all the cut-backs and talk of the hospital expenditure bills, things aren't going to get better. But it's not for lack of trying on the part of the doctors and nurses.

Thanks for explaining. My relative would have come under category 3 so by the sounds of it. Having sat on a plastic chair all night and watching drunk people come in and out etc. he discharged himself this morning having NOT BEEN SEEN. Couldn't take it anymore.

So brought him to out-of-hours GP who is trying to treat him now with strong antibiotics and steroids, when what he needs is IV. These drugs seem to be making little difference. Don't know why they couldn't just even sit him on a chair last night and administer the IV. He is incredibly sick, he really is. He has been to the GP 4 times in the last 2 days at a cost of €50 per time. It's all crazy.

The nurses last night wanted him down in MAU but there were no spaces. The GP today was trying to convince him to go back to A&E and we are all trying to get him to go back but he is just so fed up at having spent 14 hours with zero treatment sitting on a plastic chair and getting worse as the hours go on. I'm beginning to agree with him....from what I can see you either need to be a trouble maker or come in to A&E in an ambulance to be seen.

My fear is that if he keeps getting worse he will end up going in there in an ambulance.

The HSE should be ashamed of themselves. The middle of Christmas and they clearly have a severe shortage of staff. The way the place is managed down there in UCHG (the A&E dept) is just shocking. You are left sitting for literally more than a day with no information about when you will be seen...very ill, sitting on a plastic chair when you are barely able to sit and should be lying down and on oxygen.

If a GP considers one to be unwell enough to attend hospital then the hospital should treat the patient. The GP even rang ahead for him and a specific doctor was supposedly waiting for him but we never got to see this doctor. It's not like my relative is just walking in off the street. He has a very serious disease and there is a file thicker than a phonebook on him down there. But yet it's impossible to be seen.

So my relative is now resigned to staying at home feeling horrendous, popping pills that are making no difference when all he needs is a few rounds of IV treatment....but it just seems impossible to get.

He thinks he will deteriorate over the next few days and so does the GP he saw today and then we will be paying €500 for an ambulance to take him in...but at least then he will be seen. It's a disgrace.

Just editing to add: a guy came in with a bashed arm last night, wasn't broken but cut. He was seen within about 2 hours and bandaged up and sent on his merry way. How in the name of God is someone like that seen before my relative? Even the nurse in triage was saying my relative was very unwell. She wrote "very unwell" on the computer! Then proceeded to say he needed to be seen in MAU, phoned MAU but they were too full. I just don't get it. You need to be on death's door to be seen in my opinion.

And yes, I agree that too many people attend A&E when they should be going to their GP. This is not the case with my relative. His GP rang A&E and sent him in with a letter as the GP felt he needed to go into hospital.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You do realise you always have the option of going to a private hospital? This will cost money. http://www.galwayclinic.ie/accidents-emergency

Cllr P Conneely is chairperson of the HSE West board and vaunts this position on local wireless broadcasts. He is your paid elected public representative, maybe telephone him and moan at him about the state of affairs. Invite him down to the A&E.

As for your original query, contact the HSE and ask them: Can someone please explain the workings of A&E UCHG please?
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/ysys/Tell_us_your_story/Complaint/

snubbleste wrote: »
    You do realise you always have the option of going to a private hospital? This will cost money. http://www.galwayclinic.ie/accidents-emergency

Cllr P Conneely is chairperson of the HSE West board and vaunts this position on local wireless broadcasts. He is your paid elected public representative, maybe telephone him and moan at him about the state of affairs. Invite him down to the A&E.

As for your original query, contact the HSE and ask them: Can someone please explain the workings of A&E UCHG please?
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/ysys/Tell_us_your_story/Complaint/

God never thought about the Galway Clinic. Thanks. Yes I am going to say it to him now. Think we wil definately head there. Thank you.

ETA: I wonder can I get the referral letter back from UCHG. They will need that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

i have been there a few times for different reasons and i belive they really do try to do there best with very limited resources

like confusedquark said they are always prioritising who get seen and this means that a person could keep getting bumped down the list i know this is no comfort to you and yours and the lenght he was left with out been seen is not acceptable

last time i was there i had only a short wait as i needed stiches but when i got taken inside i could not belive it staff where in short supply and people were every where i mean everywhere chairs trolleys wheelchairs one gentleman i over heard had been there two days :eek:

i belive some gp's may take the easy route i needed four stiches and so i headed to my gp he looked at it and played with his computer for a bit then wrote a letter sending me to a+e personally and i could be wrong but i think a gp should be able to give you stiches but it is much easier just to refer you to a+e and get fifty euro for a referal letter and this in turns impacts on patients like your friend who need more care than a gp could provide

i hope your friend pulls and i know what you both are going through but i really do think a+e do there best and i am sorry you two had such a terrible time there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

It is demonstrably the worst of the worst A&E's in the country and nobody cares so why should the staff, I would advise driving to Beaumont Hospital in Dublin, you'll be seen sorted and back home in Galway before a consultant manages to answer their beeper in UCHG. The only sort of prompt "treatment" you will receive in UCHG A&E is 'brush off', 'Cold Shoulder', 'Defensive' or 'Humiliating' all while you or the person you accompany is at their weakest.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

To be honest, I don't think its much different to any other A&E department. I've been there a few times, once myself (by ambulance) so was dealt with straight away), once with a baby and we were also seen right away. Another time I was there with my husband who had serious post-op complications at night so we went in. We waited all night to be seen, not knowing, and not being told, that we had to wait for the original op team to come on at 8 to deal with it. Had we have known we would just have stayed at home and come in at 8.

I also waited 8 hours for 2 stitches in an English A&E. I got very faint when the doctor was doing the stitches so I asked for a glass of water. The doctor left and never came back so I ended up getting someone to go to the vending machine for me and then we just left.

I think in all cases the staff do the best then can given the stretched resources. It is a shame it gets clogged up with drunks and people after fights.

Yes the staff do their best but clearly

(1) there are not enough staff on duty

(2) there is not enough space to accommodate patients

(3) there are clear breakdowns in communications if a doctor who the GP spoke to on the phone was supposed to meet my relative in A&E and then never showed up

(4) People with cuts on their arms get seen to sooner than my relative. My relative was visibly very sick and as previously said, the triage nurse even wrote this on the computer and said he needed to go to MAU

(5) drunks and people who cause fights get seen to faster..maybe there is method to their madness, who knows...

(6) nobody tells anyone anything. You could sit there for 14 hours and you wouldn't be told where you are in the queue. You could be in dire need of a bed and not a plastic chair and nobody will tell you anything. You are left 100% in the dark.

My relative was TOO UNWELL to stay sitting on a plastic chair in the middle of the waiting room. We really had no choice but to leave. He needed to lie down. He was collapsing off the chair with exhaustion. That's the truth.

There appears to be a charge of €100 or thereabouts to stop people just waltzing in off the street but I can say with certainty and from observing the reception desk that not all people were referred from their GP.

It almost seemed like a 'meeting place' for some people...like a social event. People were coming in, gangs from the same families....mothers,fathers and about 8 children and meeting other families who they were related to or whatever....and then when 'rival' families would come in there would be bother. It was just bizzare.

I am just saying that the whole system is rotten to the core.

Surely the HSE knows that this time of the year, with all kinds of bugs, drink induced injuries, etc etc...that there should be MORE STAFF ON to deal with the demands??????

Wards that are closed with empty beds should be opened!!!!!!!

It's a disgrace.

We tried the Galway Clinic but they closed at 7pm. I am worried for my relative that we will be calling an ambulance for him to get into the hospital. Seems to be the only way you will get seen to...that or be a member of a feuding family and cause a bit of hassle. I'm beyond annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

What's the story with The Reigional? Can you try the A and E there? They seem to be a bit quicker- just basing it on friends and neighbours' stories.

Is it to do with what area they serve?

God, it's a real shame he waited that long and didn't get seen. It's even more of shame that the HSE can't provide a half-decent service for people that they have to consider going privately for A&E.

I know it's easy for me to say, and he must have reached the end of his patience to discharge himself, but once you get seen, you do get treated properly, so as painful and frustrating as it is, it's always best to wait out as many hours as it takes until you get into the system - you will eventually get seen. Otherwise you just end up at the back of the queue again if you do get worse and need to come back. Friday and Saturday nights are often the worse, and December/January are always the busiest months of the year anyway, so that doesn't help things either.

Do complain about your experience to both the hospital and your local TD - the more the issue gets highlighted, there's a chance somebody might do something about it.

Jugger, you're right to a certain extent about GP's taking the easy route. Lots of GP's do suturing and a lot of other good work to keep patients away from A&E. Some only suture wounds which are simple cuts and refer more complex/deeper ones in to A&E. Some don't suture at all - that could be because they never received any training in it, or because they have busy waiting rooms and can't fork out the time it takes to suture properly, or because it actually costs them more money to have a facility to suture in their practice than what they get in return. GP's have been hit very hard in the past few years with cut-backs in government fees (with more cuts announced in this budget), and many practices are struggling to keep their doors open. So, unfortunately, as they're effectively running businesses with staff wages and expenses to cover, the services they provide and time they invest into them are to a degree dependent on what they get back in return. If the government focuses more on funding GP's to manage more things in primary care (e.g. increasing payments for suturing, for which they currently get 20-odd Euro - barely enough to cover the cost of a disposable suturing set), and interact with them more on organising services better to take some of the pressure off A&E, that would help things. But unfortunately, all you get with the HSE is unilateral cuts without discussion.

Add to that the ever-increasing lawsuits against GPs and doctors in general, with the often large payouts, and doctors start avoiding taking as many risks as they can - which results in extra referrals for scans, out-patients and A&E. The massively long out-patients waiting lists (often literally years) then result in people ending up in A&E when their problem could and should have been sorted before it got to that stage. It's all a bit of a mess.

There appears to be a charge of €100 or thereabouts to stop people just waltzing in off the street but I can say with certainty and from observing the reception desk that not all people were referred from their GP.

That charge doesn't apply to people with medical cards, and hence do you get some abuse of the system.

inisboffin wrote: »
    What's the story with The Reigional? Can you try the A and E there? They seem to be a bit quicker- just basing it on friends and neighbours' stories.

Is it to do with what area they serve?

Merlin Park? it has no A&E,
    But the out-patients clinic is head and shoulders above UCHG plus they don't exploit your situation on the parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Shakti wrote: »

But the out-patients clinic is head and shoulders above UCHG plus they don't exploit your situation on the parking.

A neighbour fell recently and went over to get an x-ray on his leg. Assumed that was a and e, but could it have been outpatients?

inisboffin wrote: »
    A neighbour fell recently and went over to get an x-ray on his leg. Assumed that was a and e, but could it have been outpatients?

X-rays are done there yes but there is no A&E anecdotally the guy in charge of running UCHG has the exclusive contract to provide imaging to the HSE in a public building in merlin park for nothing but a token rent, denmark rotten etc.

• Advertisement

Some interesting points on this thread.

Yes I may write (or encourage him to write) to the local TD and try to highlight this issue.

It's terrible. That someone can be so sick and literally wait that many hours and not be seen.

There is something DREADFULLY wrong with our health system.

It beggars belief that the place is so understaffed when there is clearly a demand.

Didn't realise that some people are exempt from the €100 charge and don't see why it isn't applied to all. Might stop the influx of all the people who appear to be clogging up A&E unnecessarily.

Afterall....if they are sick enough to be admitted they get the €100 back, or can claim it back at least. If they are not sick enough to be in A&E then they lose the €100 and it might make them go to their GP next time...where they get free treatment anyway. Makes more sense.

Anyway, bottom line is- WHO MANAGES A&E and lets it operate with insufficient staff levels???????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I appreciate your position GG but A&E is like life and death roulette already and a €100 ante-up will only increase the misery of patients although I might lay a bet with PP on the odds of me surviving next I have to get a mis-diagnosis from some jobs worth in UCHG A&E

Wompa1 wrote: »

This is complete rubbish. I SAW with my own eyes, people on trolleys in corridors when I went in to ask where in the queue my relative was. I can't believe the Galway News has that story.

ETA: granted we went in a day later than the date that this article refers to. Unless something drastically changed in the space of 24 hours...I don't know. But I can emphatically say I witnessed multiple occupied trolleys.

Anyway, if this is the case that they are not as busy as expected....why can't my relative get seen to???? Would he be sitting on a plastic chair for a week without being seen if they were 'busy'???? Basically a full day in terms of hours without being seen on a 'quiet' day. Bizzare indeed.

Still wondering, does anyone know WHO MANAGES A&E and decides that there should only be x number of staff on???

Didn't realise that some people are exempt from the €100 charge and don't see why it isn't applied to all. Might stop the influx of all the people who appear to be clogging up A&E unnecessarily.

Afterall....if they are sick enough to be admitted they get the €100 back, or can claim it back at least. If they are not sick enough to be in A&E then they lose the €100 and it might make them go to their GP next time...where they get free treatment anyway. Makes more sense.

Can't argue with that.
    Anyway, bottom line is- WHO MANAGES A&E and lets it operate with insufficient staff levels???????

It's the A&E Consultant and Head-nurse's responsibility to oversee the running of A&E. They have limited control over staff numbers though - they can only tell the Manpower/Human Resources department of the situation, and then it's their responsibility to organise a locum if doctors/nurses are short. If there's a full quota of doctors/nurses working and there are still long delays - it's up to the hospital management and HSE to figure out why, whether it's a bed problem on the wards, or a one-off unusually busy night, or whether they need to consider increasing the number of staff employed to cope with the demand.

Can't argue with that.

It's the A&E Consultant and Head-nurse's responsibility to oversee the running of A&E. They have limited control over staff numbers though - they can only tell the Manpower/Human Resources department of the situation, and then it's their responsibility to organise a locum if doctors/nurses are short. If there's a full quota of doctors/nurses working and there are still long delays - it's up to the hospital management and HSE to figure out why, whether it's a bed problem on the wards, or a one-off unusually busy night, or whether they need to consider increasing the number of staff employed to cope with the demand.

Thanks for the input. Do you work for the HSE? You seem to have good knowledge of the systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭100200 shih

Shakti wrote: »

They now charge for parking !!! so yes, they do

Yeah, am a GP Trainee, so have worked in a fair few hospitals along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I went to the A&E in UCHG once and can only describe it as organised confusion, 12 hours I was there.

I take it you live in the city OP but personally I go to Ballinasloe, it's 10 times quicker and just as good.

• Advertisement

Yeah, am a GP Trainee, so have worked in a fair few hospitals along the way.

I figured as much...well, that you were a medic of some type. Must be frustrating having to work in such a system...although you are probably out in a GP practice now. Thanks for all the input. Has certainly enlightened me somewhat.

Advertisement