Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 2 production to finally end

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Very sad to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Goodnight, sweet prince.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Farewell to the original black monolith of fun and happy memories. Truly one of the classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Have had many a happy night playing away on it! R.I.P:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's stopped shipping to Japan, they're still shipping to other regions and it's likely to continue for a long while in some poorer regions/countries; South America, Africa, and other parts of Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

are there any professionally made games still being produced for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Skerries wrote: »
    are there any professionally made games still being produced for it?

PES 2013 - http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/ps2/pes-2013-pro-evolution-soccer/10606199.html

It's usually sports games or cheap puzzlers/platformers at the end of a console's lifetime, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Final fantasy xi is the last one due in march.

Varik wrote: »
    It's stopped shipping to Japan, they're still shipping to other regions and it's likely to continue for a long while in some poorer regions/countries; South America, Africa, and other parts of Asia.
    Sure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

it's likely to continue for a long while in some poorer regions/countries; South America, Africa, and other parts of Asia.

"poorer regions/countries", so Ireland will still get the PS2 for years yet?:D

Seriously though, it was a great console that gave me thousands of hours of service from 2004 until I sold it to my brother, where it's still going strong today. I'd still own one except my 60GB PS3 is backwards compatible with PS2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

As Varik said I suspect that this won't be the end of the story. The PS2 has barely sold in Japan for some time (for obvious reasons) but still sells in large numbers in other regions and must make Sony a fair bit of cash (something that they desperately need at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I still have my PS2 and it works perfect every time. The dog got caught in the controller lead not long ago and pulled the whole thing crashing to the ground. Connected it back up and it worked again no bother. Have a feeling if it was a PS3 I'd have been getting a new one. They are very well built and had no shortage of games. They deserved a longer lifespan as it was a great console.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Did they stop making the EU region PS2's a long time ago? Or are there still new ones to be had?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Schorpio wrote: »
    Did they stop making the EU region PS2's a long time ago? Or are there still new ones to be had?

They're still shipping here, but it's not like they're flying off the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Oh really? Do you know which retailers are still stocking them? I had a quick google and I couldn't find anyone shipping the latest revision in the EU (SCPH-90000).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Mine is still working perfectly and i have it 13 years ha.. amazing really.. i use it as a dvd player for years as ive the xbox. never had to buy a dvd player, best thing i bought. sad news indeed but sure i thought it would have stopped years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I had a look into buying a PS2 a couple of years ago and couldn't find anywhere in Ireland or the UK which sells them new. I think you can buy them in other parts of the EU though.

No decision made on whether they will or not.

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/306507/the-best-games-for-sony-s-playstation-2

Advertisement