Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't starve

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Damn you guys....

I downloaded this last night.
    I don't seem to be having any trouble surviving, but the world I'm in is odd.

It's a series of islands, and each one has different resources on it, so I'm constantly moving as I can't find a lot of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

BizzyC wrote: »
    Damn you guys....

I downloaded this last night.
    I don't seem to be having any trouble surviving, but the world I'm in is odd.

It's a series of islands, and each one has different resources on it, so I'm constantly moving as I can't find a lot of things.

I've not played since the turf update – could you terraform with that?

If you get one like that (or one with long bridges between islands) it's probably best to respawn the world. Try it a few times and run about to find a good one.

I might have to do that.

It's really annoying to have wood on one island, stone on another, food sources on a third....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Can I ask how you are all playing ? I got it on STEAM, says it's no released till March ?! :(
    *edit , upon starting up - it works * Strange.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

can you play multiplayer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

can you play multiplayer?

No, Store page says Single Player. No CoOp or Multiplayer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Wossack

I might have to do that.

It's really annoying to have wood on one island, stone on another, food sources on a third....

Havent played much, but have died a number of times - and each time, its been an island based world, with the biomes being seperated by bridges. My most recent world though, has quite short bridges, so it might be a runner..!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Damn you all to hell! So much for my early night last night, got the game and decided to have a few minutes play....4 hours later, crap I have to get up soon :)

But cheers for the recomend, should keep me busy for a while!

Ordering on steam gives you the Beta.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Wossack wrote: »
    also swung my axe at the wrong type of tree :eek:

I may have just done that also. I woke some sort of tree monster. Hit it 10 times with the spear but it didn't seem to have any effect. I ran back to camp and to make space for another spear I planted some pine cones and voila he stopped chasing me !

• Advertisement

Got myself a decent game on my second world attempt.
    Have been able to build a science machine and have access to some materials.

What do you do when you run out of stone?

It seems to be the only non-replenishing material...which I know makes sense, but does mean there's a finite amount you can build in one level.

It seems to be the only non-replenishing material...which I know makes sense, but does mean there's a finite amount you can build in one level.

I'm on my 4th game. The first 3 had very, very little stone where I had set up camp. This one though is littered with it.
    I don't think you have much of a choice but to travel further away from your base in search of it. You may find a biome which has almost nothing but stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Has anyone found anything weird?

I've found
    a monster called Chester, he follows me around and I can store items in him.

I've also found
    an eye bone and a lying robot..

I don't have a clue what they do but I haven't looked up a single thing about this game so its going to be interesting finding out.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Is anyone else finding it really hard to stay motivated to start again when they die? I just had a game where I decided to go exploring, fully geared out but forgot grass and couldn't find any in time so I got eaten in the dark with nothing I could do. I'm finding myself having very little motivation to start chopping down trees again.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Zillah wrote: »
    Is anyone else finding it really hard to stay motivated to start again when they die? I just had a game where I decided to go exploring, fully geared out but forgot grass and couldn't find any in time so I got eaten in the dark with nothing I could do. I'm finding myself having very little motivation to start chopping down trees again.

After a while you'll unlock the second character who
    can start fires in the dark, she doesnt need any wood etc. Does it automatically.

So far I'm on day 49. I have way too much food. I have 1 ice box full of various dinners and second ice box thats starting to fill. I've got 12 speedy farms on the go and around 25 berry bushes that give me an endless supply too.

For some reason I can't get passed 10 - 15 days. Something always happens and I get killed.

My record when I started playing was 40. I need to figure out a new approach to playing. I've just been doing a lot of exploring and not really setting up camp.

Yea I built up the camp first before exploring. I try to have at least six farms before Day 10 and a Spear and Log Suit too, for when the wolves come. After that it's just build more farms and move the berry bushes to the camp. I don't think I started exploring until Day 25 or so.

DontStarve-1.png

DontStarveMap.png

Game is so addictive.... I got killed this time by a Tree Guard :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Keep trying to build me one of these.

185px-WillowEffigy.jpg

But find meat hard to source.
    An easy way is to feed pigmen monster meat/morsals. First use them to help clear a forest to stock up wood. Then head to a swamp a let them battle tentacles. Take there meat from the resulting carnage. Trouble is, this is only good for about 3 drops.

Anyone found Otto Von Chesterfield? I'm guessing he's like the Luggage from Terry Pratchett books.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

PandyAndy wrote: »
    DontStarve-1.png

See, I'd have the patience to do this once. If I died for some stupid reason after building all of that I'm pretty sure I'd just quit and never come back.

• Advertisement

PandyAndy wrote: »
    Yea I built up the camp first before exploring

I think your camp is at risk of fire hounds. I'd make my nightly camp a bit away from my food sources to avoid them burning it all down.

I find too that rabbit and bird traps are a lot easier to use to get food rather than replanting berry bushes.

For those who don't follow the Don't Starve forums, here's todays update trailer teaser :

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Some of that looks great!
    I've only played a couple of times, but not survived beyond 7-8 days yet. Still loving it!

but not survived beyond 7-8 days yet. Still loving it!

That's usually when the first hounds come to attack. Get your log suit on :)

I've survived quite a while on my first game.

Set up camp next to a bunch of beefalo.
    Get plenty of manure for farming, and can run into the middle of them when i get attacked to they'll take kill things for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Wossack

looking good alright! Spotted a QR code about 2:15 in.. :p

Ponster wrote: »
    I think your camp is at risk of fire hounds. I'd make my nightly camp a bit away from my food sources to avoid them burning it all down.

I find too that rabbit and bird traps are a lot easier to use to get food rather than replanting berry bushes.

Ha, I'm not worried about the hounds... it's my character that I'm careful about. I had 50-60 saplings and maybe another 40ish grass tufts planted below the berrys, I was running back to camp in the dark and my character started a fire right in the centre and the entire lot burnt to the ground :pac: It was quite spectacular. She's also responsible for burning forests as well. A fine arsonist.
    I've survived quite a while on my first game.

Set up camp next to a bunch of beefalo.
    Get plenty of manure for farming, and can run into the middle of them when i get attacked to they'll take kill things for me.

Yea I do that too with the beefalo. They've managed to kill a few walking trees for me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I've played a few times, longest I've survived so far is 15 days. Currently playing through for probably the 4th time, I've set up camp near a pig king. Manure coming out of the ears now. Got a lot of beekeeper hives to keep me going, they're really handy starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I might have to do that.

Haha...I though that was normal! Guess I should generate a new world. Hopping between 5 islands is annoying, and there's probably more as I still haven't found out how to get manure for fertilising.
    You can have one of my islands...there's about 60 stone outcroppings on it!!

• Advertisement

Really annoyed with my game last night.

Died after the getting caught in the dark (even though I was using the 2nd character)....
    Her ability failed to kick in!!!

I'm liking the new build though, prefer the new research method.

Advertisement