Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't starve

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Got this on the recommendation of this thread

Loving it but haven't made it past day 2 yet due to my own stupidity, setting fire to trees and wondering what happens will normally kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Got this on the recommendation of this thread

Loving it but haven't made it past day 2 yet due to my own stupidity, setting fire to trees and wondering what happens will normally kill you.

One of a dozen things that can very unexpectedly kill you. :D
    I did burn down an entire island of trees the other night (and lived). I have enough charcoal to last me about 10000 days I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Wossack

ninja spiders got me the other day - think I was at ~40 days too :(

not noticed too much yet with the new build, other then a new implement for pulling up turf instead of the shovel (which I have to re-research I think). Oh, and spider spawns now being surrounded with walking pace inducing webs :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Reading the forums it struck me as odd that people are opposing the idea of a mode to let you reload saves after death, people that wouldn't use such a mode. It seems very strange that a change that wouldn't affect them at all and would allow people who prefer a less rogue-like experience to have fun is being opposed so strongly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Reading the forums it struck me as odd that people are opposing the idea of a mode to let you reload saves after death, people that wouldn't use such a mode. It seems very strange that a change that wouldn't affect them at all and would allow people who prefer a less rogue-like experience to have fun is being opposed so strongly!

I can understand it. I'd be tempted to reload every time I died, too weak to resist. But I'd prefer getting far into a game knowing it can all come apart if I'm not careful. Adds a tiny thrill to it.

• Advertisement

grizzly wrote: »
    I can understand it. I'd be tempted to reload every time I died, too weak to resist. But I'd prefer getting far into a game knowing it can all come apart if I'm not careful. Adds a tiny thrill to it.

But it's a matter of giving either option at the start of the game. Then both markets can enjoy the game the way they would prefer. I can understand frustration if people think the game would be rebalanced to suit the non-rogue-like mode but not the idea of arguing against a mode you would just ignore that would allow others to enjoy the game in a different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

The game would be pointless if you could save and reload after death. The entire concept of the game is to stay alive...hence "Don't Starve".

I don't agree. A mode where you get to go back to the start of the most recent day would still allow for trying new ideas with new resources you have built up and try alternate research paths. I think there is plenty of other enjoyable mechanics in the game than just trying to stay alive as long as you can. Sure I could go for ages just fishing and setting traps but I want to try out different ideas not because they might provide a better food supply system but because it's fun. I don't believe that fun is taken away if I don't have to start back at day 1. Though I'd still like to try a run through from day 1 from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Might aswell be COD then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Game is breaking my heart! I keep getting up to about day 5, and I have some lovely tools and crops and I even found me a wee pet at one stage.

Then something kills me!

But at least I learn something new with every death :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Just to resurrect this old thread, got this game got to day 12 before hounds came at night and killed me.

Whats ruining a lot of my play throughs is not being able to find gold, and therefore no science machine. I have spents days looking for boulders with gold. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I took me a while to realise how to keep the demons in your head at bay. First play through I came across a ring of evil flowers which seemed to drive my character to insanity very quickly. Now I have a nifty bandanna made of flowers that keeps the shadows away.

Gold seems very difficult to find

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Whats ruining a lot of my play throughs is not being able to find gold, and therefore no science machine. I have spents days looking for boulders with gold. :(
    Grimebox wrote: »
    Gold seems very difficult to find

I've not played since the beta, but aren't resources randomly generated with each new map? Can you not reroll a few maps until you get a nice mix of resources?

I've not played since the beta, but aren't resources randomly generated with each new map? Can you not reroll a few maps until you get a nice mix of resources?

This is only my second character... I don't really know what I'm looking for or what frequent spawns look like. The rocks that you mine seem sporadically placed at best without pattern and even then gold rarely drops out of them

This is only my second character... I don't really know what I'm looking for or what frequent spawns look like. The rocks that you mine seem sporadically placed at best without pattern and even then gold rarely drops out of them
    The ones with gold , have a gold vein running through the boulder. So you can tell the difference before breaking it up.

Ya resources are random, but at the same time you would need to play a few days in to be sure of all your surroundings at that stage I want to carry on and not restart.

The ones with gold , have a gold vein running through the boulder. So you can tell the difference before breaking it up.

That would make sense. I still have only found one such boulder

That would make sense. I still have only found one such boulder
    I have found a couple, but they are certainly not common.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Are any of you lads still playing, got this on the ps4 and loving it. Highest I got was day 25 middle of winter and died from going too far and froze to death. Excellent game tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,399 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

just started last night , had a mess around for a while, i am just going into night 4 now, nothing bad happened so far but i am going to be camping near a village with a few monster looking things, then may turn nasty at night.

i have not killed any bunnies or birds so far, just generally behaving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I made some great progress last night.

Died on day 14 but was brought back to life from the sacrifice area so I saved there.

Big step up from my previous 4 days.

Best part so far was walking into a fight between 4 pigs and about 15 tallbirds... things didn't go well for the pigs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Best I could do is day 25.....mid winter got killed by a stupid mistake and was revived by the pig altar too. But I was in the middle of no where and froze to death.

Great game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Im up on day 20, have a little base build with loads upon loads of supplies. Have myself playing as "Woodie" and the werebeaver is brilliant if you use it correctly as you can survive forever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Im up on day 20, have a little base build with loads upon loads of supplies. Have myself playing as "Woodie" and the werebeaver is brilliant if you use it correctly as you can survive forever :)

Its all gonna end in misery soon

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its all gonna end in misery soon

Why would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Why would that be?
    Only diamonds are forever..

Was watching some lad on twitch doing a 2 year long dont starve challenge, he was on his 71st consecutive day of playing and had 1300 days racked up in the game, it was insane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Why would that be?
    Brace yourself......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

Been meaning to play this since release and although iv the ****s of Indies I picked this up for 8 quid on psn last night. Any tips?going starting tonight

• Advertisement

brady12 wrote: »
    Been meaning to play this since release and although iv the ****s of Indies I picked this up for 8 quid on psn last night. Any tips?going starting tonight

Tips i have for dont starve (And i survived for 180+ days so far)

1: Run all the paths as quick as you can to open your map up quicker.

2: Dont pick carrots up from the ground, use them in an emergancy situation. Berries cooked are quiet good for keeping you going for the first while.

3: If your unsure about an enemy then avoid it and check the wiki out.

4: Build a log suit and spear early on if you can as they are quiet good for protection.

5: Enjoy the game :D

Advertisement