Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Given 150 million to spend on Waterford what would you spend it on??!

Options
  • 29-12-2012 5:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

If by some miracle somebody won the euro millions and gave you 150 million to spend on anything for the city anything at all..what would you do or buy for the city??

Theme park?
    Tramore railway?
    Worlds biggest longboat?
    Re-open Masons!!?
    Beckham for the Blues?
    Open up ferrybank centre!!?

The possibilities are endless :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

Monorail

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

decies wrote: »
    Monorail
    I hear those things are awfully loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

A bridge linking ferrybank with adrkeen to extend the outer ring road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

gobo99 wrote: »
    I hear those things are awfully loud!

It glides as softly as a cloud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Airport extension/development of tech park
    Swing footbridge at the Tower Hotel across to Ferrybank
    Paint/refurbish every building exterior within the triangle, finish the quays!
    Create investment fund for SMEs and local charities/volunteer groups to draw from.
    Turn Waterford Utd into a CL group stage team to boost tourism!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

A foot bridge at the tower hotel linking Ferrybank with town.

Knock the flour mills and build some attractive tourist friendly entities down there...

Knock the ard rì, build a new modern hotel. I think it works so well as a hotel because of the views of the city. Using it as anything else is a bit of a waste IMO.

Hire some more forward thinking people in the city council. The type of mind that was responsible for coming up with, and fighting for winterval.

I believe the only way out of this current slump is to start thinking outside of the box. We need new ideas and ways in which to help local businesses.

• Site Banned Posts: 118 ✭✭Addictedtogolf

150 new business with €1million into each.
    Would create about 4,500 jobs which would in turn spend in Waterford which would in turn make our city great again.
    Other new business would open from the spending spree, such as restaurants, retail, etc.
    With the right planning and management the 150 new business would bring foreign cash to the region from sales of goods, services.

EASY

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Put money into new businesses, hence new employees and a recovering local economy. Pour more money into developing our excellent Viking Triangle to make it a complete tourist experience with signage and informative banners. To think how much that area has come on the past few years is amazing. Also, keep our local airport open for business and add a few routes to keep it viable. I probably ran out of money there but if i had anything left I would tear down the old flour mills on the other side of the quay and pay for people to recover from asbestos poisoning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

I'd definitely invest a bit in the Blues. It wouldn't cost much to achieve what Shamrock Rovers did last year in making Europe League group stages.

20,000 all seater stadium out on the ring road, which would also double as a concert venue so Waterford could compete with the likes of Cork/Dublin in getting top acts to perform.

Extend the runway at the airport.

Redevelop the old Waterford Crystal site into extra parking/facilities to help WIT gain University status.

Re-apply for planning permission for a shopping centre in Michael Street.

Knock the Ard-Ri and put up a Waterford version of the famous Hollywood sign, with security watching it constantly. (just to piss off the KK heads :P )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

A new damn bridge located where it could actually relieve traffic. Maybe some type of tunnel under the city like that did in Boston.
    Wash the paint off the cliff.
    Knock the Ard Ri
    Upgrade the hospital and expand it.

Perhaps this would require more than 150million? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

I’d build the Newgate centre as it was given planning permission. It would easily create a thousand jobs plus more with other business that would spring up around it and other support industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Beckham for the Blues?

That would waste the money anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ilikeyourcow

I would buy the government so we could legalise weed but only to be smoked in special cafes!!
    Buy one street give licences to a dozen cafes and let the tourist trade boom from there ;-)
    (as unrealistic as it gets lol)

Open up the runway so we could take us troops away from shannon!! Along with the amount of tourists that will fly in due to the new coffee shops!!

Deff invest in waterford utd for an all seater stadium/ concert venue!!

Lets all do the euro millions so!!:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

- Extend and widen the runway so as to be able to take 737s/A320s; upgrade terminal building (20m)
    - Build pedestrian bridge over to Ferrybank from the Clock Tower (15m)
    - Knock that horrible brewery by the bridge and move the operation to the industrial estate (10m)
    - Knock Ard Rí and create a park full of cherry trees that would blossom en masse every April (10m). Build a funicular railway up from where the new bridge ends so that people can access the park from town (10m)
    - Move the railway station over to the middle of the North Quays and build some advance office accommodation so that we can get some sort of call centre or financial operation to locate there (60m)
    - Knock some of the crappy buildings in the Viking Triangle (like those horrible apartments with the stairways in front of them on High St) and put up buildings more in character with the old architecture there (15m). Renovate some of the nice old ones that have fallen into disrepair, such as on Cathedral Square (10m).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I would buy the government so we could legalise weed but only to be smoked in special cafes!!
    Buy one street give licences to a dozen cafes and let the tourist trade boom from there ;-)
    (as unrealistic as it gets lol)

Open up the runway so we could take us troops away from shannon!! Along with the amount of tourists that will fly in due to the new coffee shops!!

Deff invest in waterford utd for an all seater stadium/ concert venue!!

Lets all do the euro millions so!!:-)

Legalise weed? for foreigners? every butty, boy and girl would be in the place smoking weed, Legalising it would just open it up to young people who wouldnt normally smoke it but feel or give into peer pressure, They wouldnt be discouraged from smoking it the same way they would if they had to go to some criminal to get it, Hash is a gateway drug, for a country that cant control the alcohol problem the last thing we need is to legalise another deadly drug, especially in a depression we want to work hard to get back to work not get our youth stoned and confused, wed get nothing done why dont we stick in a red light zone while your at it!

Id spend it all on job creation, well thats all you could spend it on cos 150 million isnt alot of money to work with to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

fricatus wrote: »
    - Build pedestrian bridge over to Ferrybank from the Clock Tower (15m)

Eh, not sure that would work what with any ships passing through and the high tides, unless you could raise that too...or just wait for the cable car from the Ard ri down to the quay, Im sure I heard that proposed somewhere :D

Dunno why so many people want to knock the Ard Ri, its infinitely better looking than when it was a graffiti stained rust bucket.

Renewable energy, maybe some wind farms off the coast although i think that might take more than 150 million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Legalise weed? for foreigners? every butty, boy and girl would be in the place smoking weed, Legalising it would just open it up to young people who wouldnt normally smoke it but feel or give into peer pressure, They wouldnt be discouraged from smoking it the same way they would if they had to go to some criminal to get it, Hash is a gateway drug, for a country that cant control the alcohol problem the last thing we need is to legalise another deadly drug, especially in a depression we want to work hard to get back to work not get our youth stoned and confused, wed get nothing done why dont we stick in a red light zone while your at it!

Id spend it all on job creation, well thats all you could spend it on cos 150 million isnt alot of money to work with to be honest!

The 1950's just called, They want you back.
    What a load of tripe..Do you get off on repeating lies ?

No sorry english isnt my first language, Its true ive seen it all before, Irish people already struggle with alcohol problems Cannabis legalisiation would just introduce a new problem, oh its legal so it must be okay, I knew so many people who would smoke the odd time but never had the bottle to go upto the local dealer and buy it cos they were afraid to,and therefore smoke less, legalise it and youll take away that moral dilema dilema dilema, oh sorry for repeating that!

No sorry english isnt my first language, Its true ive seen it all before, Irish people already struggle with alcohol problems Cannabis legalisiation would just introduce a new problem, oh its legal so it must be okay, I knew so many people who would smoke the odd time but never had the bottle to go upto the local dealer and buy it cos they were afraid to, legalise it and youll take away that moral dilema dilema dilema, oh sorry for repeating that!

And who are you to tell someone who to live their life's ?

Dilemma my ass your just full of ****e !!

• Advertisement

Who are you to legalise drugs? The city also has a serious drugs problem and you want to bring in more?

I think if it came to a vote it would be shot down! Its probably your penchant for drugs that has you wound up and typing expletives at someone who is merely debating with you!

Why dont you legalise Heroin while your at it, who are we to tell people how to live their lives? wed have clean heroin then and the government would get a tax increase,

Who are you to legalise drugs? The city also has a serious drugs problem and you want to bring in more?

I think if it came to a vote it would be shot down! Its probably your penchant for drugs that has you wound up and typing expletives at someone who is merely debating with you!

Your the one mentioning drugs now, Waterford has a Heroin problem, I'm talking about Cannabis.
    Why are you mentioning drugs now ? Did you not understand my previous posts, You probably didn't as I wouldn't reckon your the brightest bulb in the box judging by the sheer rubbish in your first post..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Id pump it into the airport so I can outta of this dump of a country faster.

Your the one metioning drugs "Im talking about Cannabis" clever!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tess Tickle

Spend it on something that's not imported and will generate a return such as energy conservation for households and business's .

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Cut out the sniping, put away your hand-bags & keep on-topic.

tHB

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

What the hell has happened this thread, lets get it back on topic and cut out this he said, you said crap.

Agreed, I was adding ideas as to this thread the other person was just looking to wind up,

As i said renewables maybe wind farms off the coast but i dont think youd get many turbines with 150 million, Maybe tidal turbines Ireland has enough potential for renewable wind power off our west coast alone to power most of europe, I saw that on that about the house with Duncan Stewart Ireland has huge renewable potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

I would use the money to build a large spire in the middle of city square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Airport improvements, redeveloping the city centre (including banning grey as a choice of colour), business development (focussing on honest local businesses that could benefit rather than the tiger approach that saw funded cowboys sprouting up and screwing people) .... my pet project would probably be the park, I love a real classy city park so I'd go for that.

As an aside, cannabis tourism benefits few people I've found. Folks who travel to smoke weed generally don't spend too much on other things. I'd happily see personal recreational use legalised but would hate to see Koffee shops in Waterford.

Advertisement