Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Given 150 million to spend on Waterford what would you spend it on??!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lynchie2012

Id start by fixing up the roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

charlemont wrote: »
    And who are you to tell someone who to live their life's ?

Dilemma my ass your just full of ****e !!

I do agree with you but do you just pop up on any thread that mentions weed.

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ilikeyourcow

What I meant was legalise it only for those shops who bought licences and regulate so its still illegal outside etc..
    It would increase tourism in my opinion ;-)

There is oil off the coast so invest in drilling and reap the benefits!!

Our best option would be tourism as the government would love to take every cent!!

Could buy some land from Kilkenny lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

buy a tall ship a huge 1, airport runway extension, I would also open up a proper american style steak and rib joint mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tobey

Buy everyone in the city one way flights to Aus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Knock the flour mills on the North Quays and develop the quay into a public park.
    Build a footbridge from the park over to the Tower Hotel. Make sure the footbridge is liftable to allow the tall ships up river.
    Knock Jurys and make the whole place into an artificial ski slope.
    Buy the old waterford crystal site and give it to WIT to help set up a modern Science and IT campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

A replica of the statue of Christ the Redeemer looking down over the City. Only made out of crystal. And lit up at night. Cool eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

€3,000 x 50,000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    A replica of the statue of Christ the Redeemer looking down over the City. Only made out of crystal. And lit up at night. Cool eh?

I'd prefer if it was a statue of Howdo:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Striking modern footbridge over the river between Tower Hotel and Ferrybank
    New public park for the city
    Further renovations and improvements in the Viking district
    Major new facility (R&D) for WIT
    Start a new city forum/think tank to work out how best to move Waterford forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Striking modern footbridge over the river between Tower Hotel and Ferrybank
    New public park for the city
    Further renovations and improvements in the Viking district
    Major new facility (R&D) for WIT
    Start a new city forum/think tank to work out how best to move Waterford forward

How much you paying us? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Renewable energy, maybe some wind farms off the coast although i think that might take more than 150 million

And how much money would you think that would produce for Waterford? You'd actually get a lot of turbines but they would be of zero benefit except for cheaper electricity bills. Some kind of research centre for wind/wave energy would be better. I agree with the other guy on legalizing weed. Its actually a fantastic idea. The fact that you classed it as a deadly drug and said your mates were "too afraid to approach the dealer" says it all. Lads who deal cannabis these days are not the tracksuit tucked into socks evil scumbags with pittbull terriers chomping at the bit you imagine them to be. Most are ordinary lads who grow it themselves and sell it for a few extra bob. In future when your completely out of touch with a topic don't bother commenting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

O Riain wrote: »
    And how much money would you think that would produce for Waterford? You'd actually get a lot of turbines but they would be of zero benefit except for cheaper electricity bills. Some kind of research centre for wind/wave energy would be better. I agree with the other guy on legalizing weed. Its actually a fantastic idea. The fact that you classed it as a deadly drug and said your mates were "too afraid to approach the dealer" says it all. Lads who deal cannabis these days are not the tracksuit tucked into socks evil scumbags with pittbull terriers chomping at the bit you imagine them to be. Most are ordinary lads who grow it themselves and sell it for a few extra bob. In future when your completely out of touch with a topic don't bother commenting on it.

You have no idea who i am what i am or what experience i have in this area! ah you young whipper snappers know everything about drugs the world and everything in it, Why dont you legalise heroin tell me that?

Do you smoke dope?

You have no idea who i am what i am or what experience i have in this area! ah you young whipper snappers know everything about drugs the world and everything in it, Why dont you legalise heroin tell me that?

Do you smoke dope?

I wont get into it with you because you obviously don't understand the more complicated bigger picture of the "war" on drugs. Yes I smoke dope and completely function in society along with 95% of people under 30 in this country so its ridiculous its illegal, more so considering the marginal social problems it causes in relation to alcohol. Look at Holland, the last time they collected figures cannabis was directly responsible for bringing in €1.4 Billion to their economy. Its a no brainer but unfortunately the people who run this country have no brains.

I wont get into it with you because you obviously don't understand the more complicated bigger picture of the "war" on drugs. Yes I smoke dope and completely function in society along with 95% of people under 30 in this country so its ridiculous its illegal, more so considering the marginal social problems it causes in relation to alcohol. Look at Holland, the last time they collected figures cannabis was directly responsible for bringing in €1.4 Billion to their economy. Its a no brainer but unfortunately the people who run this country have no brains.
    Why not legalise heroin and cocaine then, and prostitution

Heroin could be cleaner and regulated and bring in millions if not billions for the government as would coke, and the crimi al underworld wud also take a hit so why not legalise that.

Also could you link the data and show me where you got the figure of 1.4 billion, if your gonna start quoting figures can you show me the proof,

Why not legalise heroin and cocaine then, and prostitution

Heroin could be cleaner and regulated and bring in millions if not billions for the government as would coke, and the crimi al underworld wud also take a hit so why not legalise that.

Also could you link the data and show me where you got the figure of 1.4 billion, if your gonna start quoting figures can you show me the proof,

You actually just answered your own question on legalizing other drugs, the idea with legalizing heroin and cocaine would not be to maximise profits so dont be idiotic but to totally eliminate the criminal activity from it while at the same time prevent an increase in consumption. A tricky situation but one that would certainly be achievable and better than the current situation. Imagine! A world without scumbag heroin dealers and criminal gangs, it could actually be achieved tomorrow with a bit of vision. Look at the effect alcohol prohibition had on the criminal world in the USA. Keep in mind people will do want they want to do whether its illegal or not.

While I would love to give you a link straight to the books of the Dutch Governments tax intake I cant seem to find it but your welcome to look. here's a few links and you can search for the revenue report yourself.

http://theweek.com/article/index/227358/will-banning-marijuana-sales-to-foreigners-hurt-hollands-economy
    "Ten percent of tourists who visit Holland do so exclusively for the pot. The cafes do $2.6 billion in business a year, generating $503 million in tax revenue. "

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewbender/2012/05/01/dutch-government-to-foreigners-no-more-weed-for-you/
    "Nationwide, Josemans says, coffeeshops have collectively paid €430 million (US$569 million) in annual taxes."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/netherlands/9231609/Dutch-courts-move-to-ban-marijuana-cafes.html
    Turnover of the legal "coffee shop" trade is estimated to be at least £1.6 billion every year, with tourist accounting for a significant income for cities like Amsterdam.

http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v02.n2098.a02.html
    The 1976 decriminalization of smoking marijuana contributed to the Dutch economy. Drugs were a 1.4 billion euro ( US$1.36 billion ) business worth 0.5 percent of gross domestic product in 1995, the last time the government collected such figures.

I realise those figures are a good bit less than the €1.4 billion mentioned above and maybe "direct contribution" was a poor choice of words but you have to realise that where tourists are concerned you need to look beyond simply what the coffee shops pull in. People point out that around 10% visit holland primarily for the cannabis(imagine a 10% increase in tourism here), around 1/3 smoke cannabis while on a visit(this is from the mayor of amsterdam - http://www.ibtimes.com/amsterdam-drops-pot-ban-tourists-858027) and that 50% just enter a coffee shop to see what its like.
    Also it would be worth checking out that Holland has a lower use of soft drugs for young adults that Germany, UK, Czech Republic, Denmark, Spain, France, Slovakia and Italy. This can be seen here http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/online/annual-report/2011/library/fig5
    the first graph represents countries with below average consumption, the second with average consumption and the third above average, as can be seen Holland is borderline below average. Not much more I can say on it really.

You actually just answered your own question on legalizing other drugs, the idea with legalizing heroin and cocaine would not be to maximise profits so dont be idiotic but to totally eliminate the criminal activity from it while at the same time prevent an increase in consumption. A tricky situation but one that would certainly be achievable and better than the current situation. Imagine! A world without scumbag heroin dealers and criminal gangs, it could actually be achieved tomorrow with a bit of vision. Look at the effect alcohol prohibition had on the criminal world in the USA. Keep in mind people will do want they want to do whether its illegal or not.

While I would love to give you a link straight to the books of the Dutch Governments tax intake I cant seem to find it but your welcome to look. here's a few links and you can search for the revenue report yourself.

http://theweek.com/article/index/227358/will-banning-marijuana-sales-to-foreigners-hurt-hollands-economy
    "Ten percent of tourists who visit Holland do so exclusively for the pot. The cafes do $2.6 billion in business a year, generating $503 million in tax revenue. "

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewbender/2012/05/01/dutch-government-to-foreigners-no-more-weed-for-you/
    "Nationwide, Josemans says, coffeeshops have collectively paid €430 million (US$569 million) in annual taxes."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/netherlands/9231609/Dutch-courts-move-to-ban-marijuana-cafes.html
    Turnover of the legal "coffee shop" trade is estimated to be at least £1.6 billion every year, with tourist accounting for a significant income for cities like Amsterdam.

http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v02.n2098.a02.html
    The 1976 decriminalization of smoking marijuana contributed to the Dutch economy. Drugs were a 1.4 billion euro ( US$1.36 billion ) business worth 0.5 percent of gross domestic product in 1995, the last time the government collected such figures.

I realise those figures are a good bit less than the €1.4 billion mentioned above and maybe "direct contribution" was a poor choice of words but you have to realise that where tourists are concerned you need to look beyond simply what the coffee shops pull in. People point out that around 10% visit holland primarily for the cannabis(imagine a 10% increase in tourism here), around 1/3 smoke cannabis while on a visit(this is from the mayor of amsterdam - http://www.ibtimes.com/amsterdam-drops-pot-ban-tourists-858027) and that 50% just enter a coffee shop to see what its like.
    Also it would be worth checking out that Holland has a lower use of soft drugs for young adults that Germany, UK, Czech Republic, Denmark, Spain, France, Slovakia and Italy. This can be seen here http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/online/annual-report/2011/library/fig5
    the first graph represents countries with below average consumption, the second with average consumption and the third above average, as can be seen Holland is borderline below average. Not much more I can say on it really.

I think youll find that my analagy about legalising heroin and cocaine was to say where do you stop?

You seem hell bent on legalising it, (ITS NOT LEGAL IN HOLLAND IT WAS DECRIMINALISED) Its still illegal you just wont get charged for it, and they still have a criminal ellement involved in its sale and production.

Politcians in Holland are also reducing the amount of coffee shops and have tightened the laws on its sale,Teenagers in Holland have the highest addiction rate to Hash in Europe. http://f1000.com/prime/14264179 css hey everybody's doin it, same with alcohol use here, everybody's getting pissed so how do you tell young people not to abuse alcohol its everywhere.
    Alcohol for example has serious negative effects on society but take away the money generated from its sale and this country would go bang, If alcohol was a new thing that was developed it would never be allowed to be sold.

We could post links back and forward all day pro and con of cannabis use.

You seem happy enough for Waterford City to sell its soul for the sake of raising money without thinking about the consiquences on the local inhabitants.

I think youll find that my analagy about legalising heroin and cocaine was to say where do you stop?

You seem hell bent on legalising it, (ITS NOT LEGAL IN HOLLAND IT WAS DECRIMINALISED) Its still illegal you just wont get charged for it, and they still have a criminal ellement involved in its sale and production.

Politcians in Holland are also reducing the amount of coffee shops and have tightened the laws on its sale,Teenagers in Holland have the highest addiction rate to Hash in Europe. http://f1000.com/prime/14264179 css hey everybody's doin it, same with alcohol use here, everybody's getting pissed so how do you tell young people not to abuse alcohol its everywhere.
    Alcohol for example has serious negative effects on society but take away the money generated from its sale and this country would go bang, If alcohol was a new thing that was developed it would never be allowed to be sold.

We could post links back and forward all day pro and con of cannabis use.

You seem happy enough for Waterford City to sell its soul for the sake of raising money without thinking about the consiquences on the local inhabitants.

We're talking about legalising a bit of cannabis. How do you equate this with selling our souls? Have you ever smoked it by the way?

Ah legalising a bit of Cannabis ah its harmless is it? it doesnt have any damaging effects what so ever?

How many heroin addicts started out smoking hash? I bet alot of them would say today I wish i never had that first joint,

If you legalise something then people think well its legal so it must be okay, There will also be peer pressure on people the same way there is with drinking to do it, Your so PRO cannabis theres not point in pointing out the negative long term effects to you cos you just dont see them, its just a bit of hash its harmless,

I have to say sorry to the other posters and mods cos i do think weve taken this massively off topic,
    I do think it will have a more detremental long term negative effect on the local youth.

I do agree with you that it would make money theres no denying that but so were the head shops, why were they stopped? they were making a fortune.

Ah legalising a bit of Cannabis ah its harmless is it? it doesnt have any damaging effects what so ever?

How many heroin addicts started out smoking hash? I bet alot of them would say today I wish i never had that first joint,

If you legalise something then people think well its legal so it must be okay, There will also be peer pressure on people the same way there is with drinking to do it, Your so PRO cannabis theres not point in pointing out the negative long term effects to you cos you just dont see them, its just a bit of hash its harmless,

I have to say sorry to the other posters and mods cos i do think weve taken this massively off topic,
    I do think it will have a more detremental long term negative effect on the local youth.

I do agree with you that it would make money theres no denying that but so were the head shops, why were they stopped? they were making a fortune.

yeh sorry for taking it off topic but look you saying how many heroin addicts first smoked hash is ridiculous. We would have heroin addicts even if cannabis never existed. I've never taken heroin and neither has anyone I know who smokes cannabis. You never answered my question either, have you smoked it?

• Advertisement

yeh sorry for taking it off topic but look you saying how many heroin addicts first smoked hash is ridiculous. We would have heroin addicts even if cannabis never existed. I've never taken heroin and neither has anyone I know who smokes cannabis. You never answered my question either, have you smoked it?

Ive had a drag or two in the past, ive even cultivated a few plants, ive seen it all and worked with people with drug issues, Not all people who smoke hash go on to take drugs but i bet a high percentage of heroin addicts all started off smoking hash,

Ive had a drag or two in the past, ive even cultivated a few plants, ive seen it all and worked with people with drug issues, Not all people who smoke hash go on to take drugs but i bet a high percentage of heroin addicts all started off smoking hash,

A drag or two? Did you inhale? lol
    You grew cannabis plants? Am I suppose to believe that you only ever had a drag or two but grew plants?? There are no concrete studies to prove that its a gateway drug nor have they managed to conclusively prove it causes mental illness(except in under 18s and all the more reason to legalize it and prevent the sale to teenagers whose brains are not yet fully developed) the only things they are starting to realize is that its an absolute medical wonder drug.

A drag or two? Did you inhale? lol
    You grew cannabis plants? Am I suppose to believe that you only ever had a drag or two but grew plants?? There are no concrete studies to prove that its a gateway drug nor have they managed to conclusively prove it causes mental illness(except in under 18s and all the more reason to legalize it and prevent the sale to teenagers whose brains are not yet fully developed) the only things they are starting to realize is that its an absolute medical wonder drug.

I thought we were going to drop this as it was going spectacularly off topic, Medical applications would have to be applied in medical conditions,

As i said previously we could both go and get millions of links pro and co for cannabis use, were kind of just going back and forth here,

I think for the greater good it shouldnt be legalised

I think we can both probably agree it wont happen in Waterford or Ireland in a million years.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

i bet a high percentage of heroin addicts all started off smoking hash,

And i bet a high percentage of heroin addicts started off drinking alcohol!

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

I would buy the copyright of this song and make it Waterford City's official anthem to be sung by everyone at least once!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuO3wwLuF0w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

give 100 to svp and 25 each to cancer society and hospice on condition that no directors or bord members are paid more than 20k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

some terrible opinions in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Get our own tall ship a huge 1 be great for tourism, state of the art hotel maybe were jury's is or a people's park, get rid of everything on the quay on the far side and put something decent in there, bring back Jimmy Mac to the blues, buy the rsc and do it up as a concert venue, also buy the dog track and put the blues back there, airport runway extension people keep ringing the airport to ask are summer flights coming back,

I do like the the Idea though of putting a huge statue of where jury's is like the 1 they have in Brazil.... who could it be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

tankbarry wrote: »
    I do like the the Idea though of putting a huge statue of where jury's is like the 1 they have in Brazil.... who could it be ?

Anyone except John Mullane, hes a good hurler but he isnt a God but Jesus, try saying that in some places in Waterford, the herd jumps on you. How about someone like Thomas Francis Meagher, change that one by the Tower and make a big visitors centre next to the statue, that would draw even more tourists..:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement